Food to take bikepacking.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Re: Food to take bikepacking.

Post by psling »

I work on the basis that first night in you're going to eat it and won't carry it any further so a little bit of (slightly heavier) luxury is worth the effort for a one-nighter or the first night of a multi-nighter. At this year's WRT my first-night meal was steak ragu pappardelle - 4 minutes reheat in the pan - accompanied by a glass of red brought along by Kevin (Raggedstone) which was an unexpected bonus :-bd
On the other hand, a more recent multi-nighter with Kevin and Reg resulted in pub evening meals and cafe breakfasts (mainly to just get out of the rain :lol: ).

Another little luxury for me, I carry a small container of fresh milk for camp breakfasts and tea / coffee. My camp breakfast is usually a homemade granola + cereal mix with milk - I have a nut allergy so have to be very careful with mueslis and granolas and cannot do the usual nut energy snacking that most people enjoy.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:56 am small container of fresh milk for camp breakfasts and tea / coffee.
Definitely. I have a small 175ml milk container that I nicked, I mean recycled, from a school (Regger, Regger, milk snatcher... no that doesn't quite work). Fill it with milk at home, freeze it solid, take it on the ride, defrosted by breakfast time.

Alternatively, I seem to have a small knack of blagging milk from pubs/cafes/houses/anybody etc in the afternoon/evening before I kip.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

Definitely said this on another food thread, but for savoury heft and decent calories, I like to take roasted new potatoes with salt and pepper on, in a re-usable ziplok bag...good to snack on at any time, and have used them on longer rides as a snack too. Also, bagels with marmite or cheese or peanut butter. Can't resist a soft-baked cereal bar or 3 either. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:42 am
Bearlegged wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:16 am
RIP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am Boil them in the water? (urk)
That would seem to defeat the point of the carefully melted and reset butter.
Come to that, what sort of sausages are going to fit in a tiny one-egg frying pan? Maybe those little cocktail sausage things?

Using cocktail sausages to make a 'full English' you'd presumably need correspondingly tiny wrens' eggs, baby toms, bark mycena mushrooms, etc etc.

(sorry Stevo, I'm dissing your breakfast here! As a non-consumer of eggs or sausages you can safely ignore my ramblings).
you micro-bike-packer :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I always take precooked bacon so I can have bacon rolls and coffee for breakfast. I’ll take some form of dried meal as backup but will usually stop at shops for lunch and try and plan routes that facilitate a pub/takeaway for dinner