Tailfin fork mounts.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Tailfin fork mounts.

Post by Jurassic »

Did anyone else notice these? Looks like a neat (and secure) alternative to the zip tie and jubilee clip methods. [https://www.tailfin.cc/product/cargo-cage-system/sfm/]
Teaman

Re: Tailfin fork mounts.

Post by Teaman »

Thanks for sharing as I wasn't aware of these. I notice that the cargo cages are only able to be fitted using 2 of the 3 holes but imagine that should be plenty, as one won't be looking to put loads of weight down there.
slarge

Post by slarge »

But £50!!!
substandard

Post by substandard »

That’s a whole lotta (cake/beer/insert whatever else takes your fancy)
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Not tried them, but I'd imagine cable cleats would do a reasonable job and dirt cheap. Fairly soft plastic, so kind to frames. Sizes from about 12mm (No.5) up to big-as-you-like.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

slarge wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pmBut £50!!!
That also gave me a sharp intake of breath, especially when you add on the cost of the cages, etc. I did calm down a bit when I saw that they'd fit everything from SIDs to Lyriks and that you could fit 4 cages and only needed to tighten to 3nm.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Four 8mm cable ties and the gorilla cages off here = much cheapness and will do the job just as well
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just found a box full of 2 bolt Gorilla Clips if anyone's interested. The quick release fittings can be removed and a normal cage fitted with the twist of a 5mm allen key and they can be mounted to bars, downtubes etc with the addition of the supplied backing clip.

May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:24 am I've just found a box full of 2 bolt Gorilla Clips if anyone's interested. The quick release fittings can be removed and a normal cage fitted with the twist of a 5mm allen key and they can be mounted to bars, downtubes etc with the addition of the supplied backing clip.

I used these on the Tour Divide with zipties. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:24 am I've just found a box full of 2 bolt Gorilla Clips if anyone's interested. The quick release fittings can be removed and a normal cage fitted with the twist of a 5mm allen key and they can be mounted to bars, downtubes etc with the addition of the supplied backing clip.

Yes please Stu - shall I order via the website?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll do you a deal. How many do you want Steve?
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:18 pm These from drj0n bagworks

https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessor ... n-barnacle
Those work out about the same price as the stainless Tailfin ones for the larger sizes plus the Tailfin ones are a (fairly) universal fit for different diameter forks and they allow the mounting of multiple cages to each pair of mounts. Still fairly pricey and a niche product I'll grant you.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Fair point indeed was looking at the eye watering price of the carbon Tailfin ones
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:56 pm Fair point indeed was looking at the eye watering price of the carbon Tailfin ones
Yeah, they are silly money. :shock:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Maybe I'm just being a grouch, but Tailfin products seem like very expensive solutions to problems that don't really exist. How many jubilee clips can you but for 50 quid?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:51 am Did anyone else notice these?....
... alternative to the zip tie and jubilee clip methods. [https://www.tailfin.cc/product/cargo-cage-system/sfm/]
P clips at Hipster prices :-O =))
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Interested... How much?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Interested... How much?
Get in touch. :wink:
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Ok, so I found this comment on the radavist site in connection with these:

Quote:
"I've looked for inverted forks for mounting these types of things, so that the additional weight on the fork is suspended. If the goal is to smooth out washboards and high-frequency bumps on a long gravel trip, adding unsuspended weight to the fork will compromise that ability."

So if the above is a valid comment, what is the best way to have the extra weight of items/cages etc suspended versus unsuspended? Sorry if this is a stupid question but please enlighten me, especially as I'm keen to know the best way of ironing out washboards on longer trips 🤔
jameso

Post by jameso »

Teaman wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:59 pm Ok, so I found this comment on the radavist site in connection with these:

Quote:
"I've looked for inverted forks for mounting these types of things, so that the additional weight on the fork is suspended. If the goal is to smooth out washboards and high-frequency bumps on a long gravel trip, adding unsuspended weight to the fork will compromise that ability."

So if the above is a valid comment, what is the best way to have the extra weight of items/cages etc suspended versus unsuspended? Sorry if this is a stupid question but please enlighten me, especially as I'm keen to know the best way of ironing out washboards on longer trips 🤔
It is valid, the less unsuspended weight the better. Adding weight to the lowers of a trad sus fork won't help it move as fast as it needs to for washboard type bumps. There was a bike at this year's Concours des Machines that used an upside-down fork with bags and cages on the upper suspended sections. A better way to do it if you're riding at enough pace to really value or need the suspension to work as well as it can.

A Lauf fork should probably handle washboard better than a hydraulically damped fork. Or a Cannondale Lefty - always impressed by how low the stiction can be with that design plus they're really stiff/accurate.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When they say 'suspended' they mean sprung. Weight which is supported by the suspension is sprung weight and that's okay(ish) but weight which isn't supported by the suspension is 'unsprung' and that is a bad thing. There's a point on the fork that could be considered the cross over point - weight above is okay but weight below isn't. However, given the relatively low speed of pushbikes, it's kind of a mute point and will make very little real world difference.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I think they're talking about adding sprung weight as opposed to unsprung weight. If you add cages to conventional suspension fork lowers you're adding weight to the bit that's moving up and down which in theory will compromise suspension performance. In reality I doubt most people would notice much difference. I had cargo cages on the Bluto forks on my fat bike for a while when I used to bikepack on a fat bike and I couldn't detect much difference tbh. Blutos are pretty numb forks at the best of times though so maybe it'd be more obvious on more supple forks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think they're talking about adding sprung weight as opposed to unsprung weight.
If it's on the fork lowers then it's largely unsprung weight. Even the lower part of the spring itself is considered to be unsprung.