That gear "Eureka" moment.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gpl23

That gear "Eureka" moment.

Post by Gpl23 »

I have finally found the peice of gear I have always been looking for. When I saw it I had a hard time controlling myself. I was heading to Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, What's App and Tinder to announce the great tidings to the world. Instead I enthused about it to my unimpressed other half.
Behold.
https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/other-pro ... gnets.html
A godsend for my Gatewood Cape floppy door dysfunction.
What's your simple yet spiritual gear experience ?
jameso

Re: That gear "Eureka" moment.

Post by jameso »

Ah, I have that minor frustration with a gatewood cape. Already solved by Magic Clips from Joe's Shop - https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/magic-clips/ - also useful for clipping / holding / tucking away charger wires from a dynamo output into the Garmin.

But I have a silicone magnetic LED light that might have a double function here (why didn't I think of that earlier).

:-bd Thanks
ootini

Post by ootini »

jameso wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm Ah, I have that minor frustration with a gatewood cape. Already solved by Magic Clips from Joe's Shop - https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/magic-clips/ - also useful for clipping / holding / tucking away charger wires from a dynamo output into the Garmin.

But I have a silicone magnetic LED light that might have a double function here (why didn't I think of that earlier).

:-bd Thanks
I use the Magic clips from Joe's shop too. The magnets do look interesting though
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Gpl23 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:09 pm What's your simple yet spiritual gear experience ?
Oh, so many. I'll go with lighting. BenP1 on here recommended the Exposure Joystick diffuser a few years ago. It turns the torch into the perfect lantern and I don't leave home without it. And I'm very fond of the headband I bought of Amazon ages back that holds the Joystick and makes it a brilliant head torch. One light to rule them all, I reckon.
I'm just going outside ...
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Polaris Fixie Straps. Recommended by someone on here and I always have a couple when I head out. Managed to bodge a snapped derailleur hanger with one to grind my way up Honister and Newlands and repaired a friends front roll harness with a couple looped together.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fixies might have been me.

My Eureka gear was also from Joe's Shop - the toothpaste tablets.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Endura Stealth trousers actually waterproof and soft shell so pretty breathable and won't shred on brambles etc

Time pedals the float ended my knee issues

Dropper posts ( I could never get seat right when re raised
Hydraulic brakes
Suspension that actually worked
faustus

Post by faustus »

Wearing trousers for riding in the winter - Decathlon / Quechua MH500 hiking trousers. Stretchy, hard wearing. fast drying. Comfy to wear on any ride, practical, and bit more normal looking. Can wear warm bib tights underneath in cold weather...

Related to the above - tried out (lightly) padded merino boxers from vulpine. Wow, so comfy and less faff than bib shorts, which i've been wearing underneath everything for years. Didn't notice them on a 30 miles road ride recently. And you can go for a p!ss easily in them too! :-bd

EDIT - not in them obviously! :lol: ..you know what i mean
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

faustus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:45 am Related to the above - tried out (lightly) padded merino boxers from vulpine. Wow, so comfy and less faff than bib shorts, which i've been wearing underneath everything for years. Didn't notice them on a 30 miles road ride recently. And you can go for a p!ss easily in them too! :-bd
I'd never heard of them and they sound exactly what I'm looking for, but it looks like they're sold out everywhere :|
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
faustus

Post by faustus »

The Cumbrian wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:07 am
faustus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:45 am Related to the above - tried out (lightly) padded merino boxers from vulpine. Wow, so comfy and less faff than bib shorts, which i've been wearing underneath everything for years. Didn't notice them on a 30 miles road ride recently. And you can go for a p!ss easily in them too! :-bd
I'd never heard of them and they sound exactly what I'm looking for, but it looks like they're sold out everywhere :|
Got mine at Sport pursuit when there was a sale on, just looked and they still seem to have various colours for sale - £25 isn't bad for merino, and i've found they stay fragrant too :grin:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]

Got mine at Sport pursuit when there was a sale on, just looked and they still seem to have various colours for sale - £25 isn't bad for merino, and i've found they stay fragrant too :grin:
[/quote]

Perfect, thanks very much :-bd
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

faustus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:45 am Wearing trousers for riding in the winter - Decathlon / Quechua MH500 hiking trousers. Stretchy, hard wearing. fast drying. Comfy to wear on any ride, practical, and bit more normal looking. Can wear warm bib tights underneath in cold weather...
Been looking for some cheap trousers that work on and off the bike. Busterds are sold out of anything like a size I could fit in. Will keep an eye out though, they look pretty amazing for £20.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ootini wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm I use the Magic clips from Joe's shop too. The magnets do look interesting though
I think you tipped me off on the idea and source?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Quilts.
Suddenly being able to crash out under much down loveliness without being tied into a restrictive bag that is just too short. If its chilly you can disappear underneath it, warm and you can 'ventilate' it easily. Great for us side sleepers. Now got a warm one for (most) of winter so well happy.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

faustus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:45 am Wearing trousers for riding in the winter - Decathlon / Quechua MH500 hiking trousers. . And you can go for a p!ss easily in them too! :-bd
That pushing the limits of quick drying and odour-less :lol: :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Mart

Post by Mart »

Voile straps
suddenly things could be tightened, and secured without worry
2924 miles per Gallon
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Big up for quilts and Voile straps.

Something else from me: the Stormin meths stove system. Like a Caldera Cone in that the windshield holds your pot over your stove and concentrates the heat. It comes in two parts so it fits in your pot or cup. Very light, packs down small and ensures ham fisted numpties like me don't make a mess of things. Sadly I don't think they're making them any more as I read the chap passed away last year.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:58 pm Big up for quilts and Voile straps.

Something else from me: the Stormin meths stove system. Like a Caldera Cone in that the windshield holds your pot over your stove and concentrates the heat. It comes in two parts so it fits in your pot or cup. Very light, packs down small and ensures ham fisted numpties like me don't make a mess of things. Sadly I don't think they're making them any more as I read the chap passed away last year.
Really like these too. I’ve one to fit a cup and one to fit a pot. Really nice and very reasonably priced.
Did you get home to do yours in cast iron Tim? :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Personally I found Exped (other brands are available) down mats to he a revelation after years of old "self inflating" Thermarests and some half arsed and unreliable ones from Alpkit.

In the small and cheap bracket the double sided velcro straps from Polaris. Possibly less "mud friendly" than Voiles but so far great for me 👍