Looking for a headtorch

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Looking for a headtorch

Post by petemaz »

Well I have searched the forums, but can't seem to find one that looks right for me....i want a headtorch (so not a helmet mounted light) that will compliment my exposure bar light for night riding (just a few hours at a time, not all night stuff) and is also fine in the tent for long winter nights. Budget isn't massive, maybe £40.
Thanks as always 🙂
ScotRoutes

Re: Looking for a headtorch

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I have that as two separate requirements. Around the tent/bivvy I prefer a very low powered torch. I use a little Petzl Zipka which provides just enough illumination to let me see, without advertising my presence too much or completely overwhelming my night vision/experience (it has a red light option too).

For riding I prefer something much brighter and more directional. That means heavier and so also less comfortable to wear on my head while at rest.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought one of these a few months ago. Not the lightest thing but very secure once on your head and also appears well put together. It's certainly bright enough to ride with (even on its own) when on the highest settings and produces a decent beam pattern with no shadows. The low setting isn't very bright at all but great for camp duty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlampe-Sofi ... 2127330706
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Have a look at the Nitecore Nu25. Been using mine for a few yr=ears and very happy with it. Much better than the Petzl it replaced.
3 white light levels, 3 red light levels including a strobe so can be used as an emergency/rear light also.
Lightweight, usb rechargeable and under your budget
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I use a petzl Tikka, very bright for cycling but has lower power modes and red light for preserving nightvision. the phosphorescent glow is neat -d helps finding it after turning it off in a bag..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Another vote for the Nitecore NU25, fantastic headtorch. I also have a NU32 that I use in winter.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I have used an Alpkit Viper for riding and camp duties and have found it to be very good for both. I have 2 both going strong, one that is about 5 years old despite me knackering part of the battery compartment hinge and a second that is now 2 years old and is as good as new.

https://alpkit.com/products/viper-camping-head-torch
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you want something cheap and cheerful try this - https://sofirnlight.myshoplaza.com/prod ... k-or-5000k

I have one for use in the garage and garden when I need more light. Have a Zebralight for dog walking and other types for bikepacking (usually a e+lite or bindi)

Super cheap, was recommended on another forum and it's been ace. Includes battery and micro usb charging point. Defo bright enough to ride with but low enough for normal camp use. Doesn't have a moonlight type mode like the Zebralight but it's low enough
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for all the replies. That Nitecore looks nice and compact, however it's 'only' 300 lumens, where Stu's light he links to is 1200! How much output is adequate for trail riding do you suggest? 👍
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

where Stu's light he links to is 1200!
As I said, plenty bright enough to ride by :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm
where Stu's light he links to is 1200!
As I said, plenty bright enough to ride by :-bd
It's practically daylight with that 😂
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I've got an Alpkit Qark, mainly wanted something that was rechargable but could also take AAAs in an emergency. Has an adjustable lens so I've found it pretty good zoomed in for gravel and easy trail riding and then lower setting zoomed out is good for round camp.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have that it's cheap plastic and lots has broken off it in a year so its all taped up so it works
Cannot recommend it even if it cost a fiver.
Light output and recharge feature is good though
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks folks, I ended up going for one of those Nitecores but with a higher lumen output. 🙂