Anyone doing the OMM next weekend?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Anyone doing the OMM next weekend?

Post by Retiredtester »

I imagine the Venn diagrams of ditch sleeping cyclists and skinny mountain marathoners must have a small but significant overlap. Anyone in this overlap doing the OMM this coming weekend?

I'm not really in either group, but am down for the long score after 12 years since the last time I tried it and am slightly shiteing it. Plantar fasciitis in both feet, very limited running and even less orienteering should make for an interesting weekend. At least the Ambleside weather forecast is looking reasonably benign.
Johnallan

Re: Anyone doing the OMM next weekend?

Post by Johnallan »

I'll be there and also down for the Long Score. I've only ran twice since the Saunders in summer, both times in the past week :lol:

Running fitness is only important on mountain marathons if you can navigate as fast as you can run. I cant, so focus will be on moving slowly in the right direction and trying to not incur time penalties.. sounds easy enough?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Aye'up John. Didn't realise you were a lurker ;)

Yes, long score here as well. Nav is on it at the moment. But myself and partner are a bit crocked. It'll be fine.

Hoping it pans out warmer than it was looking, I'm going to aim for light and cold in an aim to make up for being old and slow.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Good luck to you both. I'm going for warm, heavy, slow and old, with a definite emphasis on just getting round.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Hi Greg :grin:
I started lurking for pearls of wisdom ahead of BB200. There's worse corners of the web!

My OMM partner is also my betrothed. Keeping her reasonably warm and well fed is worth 10x the extra weight. Add a drop of Gin and it could almost be a romantic weekend away :X

Just a week of weather watching now :-SS
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ahh yes, not a good idea to have a strop then get in the tent with the person you'll also have to spend the next week/month/year/lifetime with :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Flood alerts for Cumbria… is it 2009 all over again?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:45 pm Flood alerts for Cumbria… is it 2009 all over again?
Chuffin' hell! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-59066324 "Up to 250mm of rain"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yeah. Swim-run weather. :shock:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

OMM update on Instagram has made me have a little cry into my beer tonight.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

The weekends forecast doesn't actually look too bad. Although, I can't imagine the parking field and mid-camp will be in great shape... :???:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Cancelled.

One of our friends was out setting controls yesterday morning, they we're pulled off the hill by the OMM team due to weather. Can't imagine it's got much better :(
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Bugger. Hopefully they're all safe.

Gutted for the whole OMM team but quite thankful I don't need to test my recent tent repairs
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lots of flooded roads etc in Keswick and to the west.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just had a few days in Keswick and it can only be described as moist in the last 24 hours. The rivers looked high and in full flow. The previous days were a mixture of weather and didn’t feel too bad.

Went for a walk yesterday and it took 18 hours of drying out kit on a radiator to get them close to being able to wear. Saw plenty of pictures of the roads around the Lakes on Facebook forums, lots of the flooded. Good to see the decision from the race organisers to cancel the event this weekend