Calling Van Owners - CAZ - Clean Air Zones

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Calling Van Owners - CAZ - Clean Air Zones

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Right I'm confused now - I read something that said my van is Euro 5 and that means that I'd need to pay charges. Then, I looked on the Gov website, entered my reg and it says no charges :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I think it's because the clean air zone isn't yet active in Manchester until 22.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Simple for me ...
(a) avoid going anywhere with a CAZ.
(b) if I do, park up and walk or use public transport.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's because the clean air zone isn't yet active in Manchester until 22.
I read something that said Manchester would be the same as Brum and Gov reckon there's no restrictions there?
pushirons

Post by pushirons »

It’s should be right Stu if you’ve used the Gov website to check. My 10reg A4 Estate car is chargeable in Brum and Bath apparently.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It's only a matter of time before the govt tighten up their squeeze on the cost of owning petrol/diesel cars if the planned ban on the sale of them in 2030 is going to happen.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's only a matter of time before the govt tighten up their squeeze on the cost of owning petrol/diesel cars if the planned ban on the sale of them in 2030 is going to happen.
I'm sure you're right Rich. Out of interest, anyone know if the government fleet is now electric or still powered by large capacity internal combustion engines? I think I know the answer.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:49 am
I'm sure you're right Rich. Out of interest, anyone know if the government fleet is now electric or still powered by large capacity internal combustion engines? I think I know the answer.
We have a solitary 54 plate Ford Connect for picking up the fish samples and running stuff between the lab and the vessel or stores.

Any other solo trips and it's a hire car or train ride. No Jag limos sadly... :lol:
FOX160

Post by FOX160 »

For London I can’t see it being too long before ULEZ will be within the M25
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FOX160 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:54 am For London I can’t see it being too long before ULEZ will be within the M25
Considering that children are having their lungs damaged by the poor air quality this is a good thing.
It’s just a pity that central heating boilers aren’t treated in the same way as vehicles in ULEZ and CAZ areas
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
FOX160

Post by FOX160 »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:07 am
FOX160 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:54 am For London I can’t see it being too long before ULEZ will be within the M25
Considering that children are having their lungs damaged by the poor air quality this is a good thing.
It’s just a pity that central heating boilers aren’t treated in the same way as vehicles in ULEZ and CAZ areas
Not knocking, just pointing it out, we’ve just spent a serious amount of cash for a secondhand (petrol) car.
However one thing needs to be pointed out (moan) London as 3 Airports surrounding it and one central yet no ones pointed out
that nearly every plane uses more fuel to take off each time than a car/van uses in its lifespan, plus all airports fly across London.
Regarding boilers I agree, but for what I hear the size of these electric heaters and placements going to need a lot of development to be placed on or near the home
at present, especially two up two down, including period properties. I’ve been hearing that in some cases is to buy as a collective just to install these units.
Last edited by FOX160 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It does make a difference, but don’t forget that you have to either regen or have a forced regen of euro 6 diesels which just basically revs the sh1te out of your engine till the cat gets upto around 700 degrees then dumps out all the particles and sh1te the cat was stopping , so at some point all the particles get put back into the air , and if you buy a iveco once it’s left on tick over for more than 10min they automatically start to regen . Oil changes are increased due to extra carbon dumped into the sump from the egr and with the engine operating at a higher temperature, ad blue is what the major change was from euro 5-6 and despite that it does not get injected into the after system whilst your poodling around town , the only way to go properly clean as emissions go is electric but then where do we put all the lithium at the end of their life span , the company o know work for gas just been credited carbon neutral but all our service vans are still diesel and we still supply a lot of the haulage industry with diesel trucks
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FOX160 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:38 am
lune ranger wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:07 am
Not knocking, just pointing it out, we’ve just spent a serious amount of cash for a secondhand (petrol) car.
However one thing needs to be pointed out (moan) London as 3 Airports surrounding it and one central yet no one pointed out.
that nearly every plane uses more fuel to take off each time than a car/van uses in its lifespan, plus all airports fly across London.
Regarding boilers I agree, but for what I hear the size of these electric heaters and placements going to need a lot of development to be placed on or near the home
at present, especially two up two down, including period properties. I’ve been hearing that in some cases is to buy as a collective just to install these units.
Agreed.
The government should be spending the money it spends on new runways and new roads helping folk change their boilers and investing in public transport.
That doesn’t change the need for CAZ/ULEZ expansion.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

have a forced regen
and what a PITA that is.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Phew, my Navara is exempt..
Saves me the £10 a day when heading in to Client meetings.