Lobster shell gloves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dyffers

Lobster shell gloves

Post by Dyffers »

I wonder if the BB give mind can help where my google skills have failed.

I love my old Extremities Tuffbags for carrying at the bottom of my bag in case the weather gets biblical. They work fine on the hoods of my road bike.

What I want is the same gloves but in a lobster or similar style ie two and two fingers or maybe even single index finger and the other three together, so I can cover the brakes on my flat bars offroad.

Anyone know of anything like this?
rudedog

Re: Lobster shell gloves

Post by rudedog »

Gloves made from Lobster shells??? :lol:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

rudedog wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:57 pm Gloves made from Lobster shells??? :lol:
...would seem to be just as available as waterproof lobster-style overmitts. :sad:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got some Phew lobster gloves but they aren't waterproof and are heavier than a shell glove. I wasn't able to find any in 'lobster' style when I was looking a couple of years back.

I see on the Extremities website they have the Tough Bags in the 'Bikepacking and Cycle Touring' section. Perhaps if enough of us message/email them suggesting they make a lobster version they might bring one out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
atk

Post by atk »

Plenty of insulated options inc. Giro, Alpkit, GripGrab.

I had the Giro ones many years back. They had individual finger slots inside each "claw" and I remember that being very toasty. Can't remember how waterproof they were though.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

atk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:21 pm Plenty of insulated options inc. Giro, Alpkit, GripGrab.

I had the Giro ones many years back. They had individual finger slots inside each "claw" and I remember that being very toasty. Can't remember how waterproof they were though.
I've been contemplating some heavyweight skiing ones but really just want some outer shells to carry around with me; sod's law dicates I won't have insulated ones with me when I need them.
techno

Post by techno »

I was looking at these a while ago and found there are a few motorbike options, although I never got round to buying some.

I searched "waterproof over gloves"
https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/kit/mo ... ver_gloves
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

techno wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 pm I was looking at these a while ago and found there are a few motorbike options, although I never got round to buying some.

I searched "waterproof over gloves"
https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/kit/mo ... ver_gloves
Great find! :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

https://www.hirzl.one/en/bike-en/finger-jacket-en
I have tried these but can't recommend them due to the hole in the palm making them uncomfortable.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Not used them, but how about these?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCR ... ter-gloves
jameso

Post by jameso »

I haven't found anything like a 1 finger Buffalo mitt yet but I have got some 'trigger finger' neoprene diver's gloves that are great in real winter conditions. 5mm thick.
Also got some 'army surplus' sniper gloves (don't think they really are given to snipers) on eBay. Pile-lined, cotton outer that I waxed. Also good in winter as an overglove.
Both are a bit bulky but the only things I found that really work in sleety conditions and allow me to ride using brakes and gears normally. Next step would be pogies.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not used them, but how about these?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCR ... ter-gloves
I've got some of these. They're fairly warm but as with most 'waterproof' gloves, they're only waterproof for a time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've had a punt on the Motocross ones techno linked to as they seemed like the shell waterproof tuffbags I was thinking of.

Some of the others like the PX ones are thick(er) winter gloves; I am trying to find something for riding like this weekend, when the forecast is for well above 5degsC overnight but I'd have the tuffbags with me as a fallback if it was a lot colder or wetter than I expected. Except I can't ride on flat bars offroad in mitts hence the lobster style.

We'll see if the motocross ones are what I'm after.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Dyffers wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:42 pm I've had a punt on the Motocross ones techno linked to as they seemed like the shell waterproof tuffbags I was thinking of.

Some of the others like the PX ones are thick(er) winter gloves; I am trying to find something for riding like this weekend, when the forecast is for well above 5degsC overnight but I'd have the tuffbags with me as a fallback if it was a lot colder or wetter than I expected. Except I can't ride on flat bars offroad in mitts hence the lobster style.

We'll see if the motocross ones are what I'm after.
|Are drop bar pogies lites (unlined Pogies) ,any good??
Ive been thinking about making some larger ones myself a 2nd pair, They really make a difference on flat bars. Pogie-Lites. cut rain and wind chill, unlined ones are still surprisingly effective...
see https://bikeiowa.myshopify.com/products/pogielites
I wonder Did SeanIOW make some as well. ??? it appears so; So what was his opinion?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19049&p=249842&hilit=pogies#p249842
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18831

Opps they are too 'roadie' heavy at 19g :oops:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..