selling bike through courier

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

selling bike through courier

Post by barney »

quick favour please, selling a bike and it has to be couriered. I've only done this once before a long time ago.

Are Paisley still a preferred courier and what is the norm for courier payment; buyer, seller or split?

cheers
Wait for me...
thenorthwind

Re: selling bike through courier

Post by thenorthwind »

Experiences with Paisley from other people on the internet seem to be split between "brilliant" and "trashed the bike a refused to accept any responsibility". When I looked earlier this year, they didn't seem much cheaper than the competition once you factor in insurance, which is the main cost (depending on the value, obviously). I would have used Parcelforce when I sold my bike, not the cheapest at about £80 including £1k insurance, but could drop it at the the local Post Office, and they're pretty reliable.

I ended up just meeting the seller - a couple of hours drive, but I used it as an excuse to go visit my mum for the weekend and it saved any hassle with couriers, payment and buyer/seller trust.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have a look on Parcel2go and compare the various services. If it's well packaged then you shouldn't really have a problem.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've used Hermes for years as my corner shop is a parcel drop off place, but they will collect your parcel from your home for a few more quid. I know some on here have had poor experiences with them, but I've never had a problem. You really do need to pack the bike well. The last bike I sold I got a proper bike box from a bike shop and they left all the tube padding, plus the plastic lugs for the drop outs of the frame and forks. Cost about £30.
I'm just going outside ...
Al

Post by Al »

I've always used paisley freight in the past, but got really stung last time I used them - the box was close to the size limit, but not over. They collected it from a neighbour and contacted me later to say it was 1cm too long (I sub standard you not) and wanted me to pay an additional fee to ship it that pretty much double the cost, other wise they would return it. I said I disputed their measurements, they said tough that's your choice and in the in end I paid up as someone was waiting for the bike.
barney

Post by barney »

Thanks for the advice, will double check my box size. It's only a kids Frog bike but I used a std bike box to make it easier.
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used a std bike box to make it easier.
I'd cut it down. It'll likely make quite a difference to price.
May the bridges you burn light your way
barney

Post by barney »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm
I used a std bike box to make it easier.
I'd cut it down. It'll likely make quite a difference to price.
Cheers Stu, I've already boxed it and agreed price with buyer. If I can be arsed I'll cut it down... but given my cba tolerance levels are quite low I doubt very much it will happen, ha!! 🤣
Wait for me...