Surly Krampus 29+ or similar?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

CJR61

Re: Surly Krampus 29+ or similar?

Post by CJR61 »

Thanks for all of the comments. Chris’s Krampus seems like a winner. Family are happy with the present idea and I’m planning a fresh coat of paint once it’s received.

Possibly on the hunt for a Dually Velocity 29+ rim and ideally a Hope Pro2 evo rear hub to give me a different option and match a front wheel I already have.

Thanks in advance
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

Done!!! The Krampus has arrived. :grin:

Thanks @Chrisps.....bike looks great and very happy.

It has now been locked away until December :cry:

Looking forward to the inaugural birthday ride.

Cheers all!

faustus

Post by faustus »

Looking great, it'll be a good one! :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
I wouldn't change the colour though unless you can get a perfect match for the original metallic green :mrgreen:
Last edited by fatbikephil on Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

I’m currently aiming for a dark purple metallic candy sort of colour!
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Enjoy! And I agree about keeping it black :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice. Not as nice as a proper green one though :lol:
But you do get to avoid the awkward Surly drop outs - every cloud has a silver lining…
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

Ummmm so.......

Bit of a change of plans.

Turns out that the frame was a Large not XL sadly (no size decals and realised before first swing of the leg over). Chris has been absolutely brilliant and helpful and wasn't aware it was a large whilst he'd owned it. Top fella!

Anyway, tried it and love the wheels and the feel, but want a longer bike and shorter stem.

So, I'll have a Large Krampus OPS F&F up for sale shortly along with some bits. Anyone on the lookout?

On the hunt for an XL now if anyone is selling or knows someone who is?

Thanks in advance and stay well all,

Chris
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Oops :???:

Keep in mind that you only get 15mm extra effective tt length with the XL vs the L.
I’m 188cm (6’2”) and find the L Krampus spot on with a 35deg rise x 90mm stem which gives something like 60mm reach. This is sat on 50mm of spacers to achieve bars that are almost level with my saddle - there is approximately 20mm drop saddle to grips with a more or less flat bar.
For me, this works well as an all day comfortable riding position that is still very capable on steep ground.
WSC
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

Thanks Lune Ranger - Appreciate your set up advice. Sadly my brain has overruled my heart and whilst I know I can go longer on the stem and higher bars, I prefer the feel of shorter stem and wider bars. Gutted to say the least as it's a lovely frame and a fun bike.

Hopefully it can go to a good home and someone with a bruised ego purple XL will be happy to sell me theirs!

Chris
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

Birthday bike has been built and ridden….love it!

Full 29+ convert 😁

Time was tight to build and get a ride in so some tidying of hoses and steerer required.

Last edited by CJR61 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice. Now don’t forget to run those tyres at a nice low pressure.
WSC
CJR61

Post by CJR61 »

Thanks all.

I started at a guess of 12-13psi front and rear and that was ok but think I could drop down a little. What pressures do other people use?

Cheers
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

At 80kg +/- I tend to go with 13psi front 15psi rear unloaded for mixed riding. I’d add 1-2psi when loaded up or on smoother trails.
The low pressures can feel somewhat disconcerting at speed on tarmac corners so I pump up to 20psi for long road sections (if I can be bothered! More usually I can’t be arsed to faff around like that but would set off at 20psi and drop later if a ride starts with a long road segment)
WSC
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

Contemplating either buying a set of normal 29er wheels for my Krampus (old Green version) or will it be possible to put narrower tyres onto my Rabbit Hole rims (thinking 2.3 or 2.4) ? Any recommendations please, cheers.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I believe the consensus is that you can run a Kramp well enough on normal size 29er tyres. You loose a bit of BB height so need to be aware of increased risk of pedal strike.
Tyres that narrow on a Rabbit Hole rim are going to be pretty squared out and may not ride too well. On the other hand you might think it’s fine - no harm in trying, if you have sone suitable tyres to give it a go. What’s your motivation for trying narrow tyres on a Krampus? What do you hope to gain?
WSC
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:28 pm I believe the consensus is that you can run a Kramp well enough on normal size 29er tyres. You loose a bit of BB height so need to be aware of increased risk of pedal strike.
Tyres that narrow on a Rabbit Hole rim are going to be pretty squared out and may not ride too well. On the other hand you might think it’s fine - no harm in trying, if you have sone suitable tyres to give it a go. What’s your motivation for trying narrow tyres on a Krampus? What do you hope to gain?
cheers for response - I love the bike and want to keep it but it just isn’t that practical for much of my local riding and work/family commitments are preventing me getting further afield regularly and so was contemplating getting rid of another rigid 29er and having 2 sets of wheels for Krampus but was hoping I’d get away with just a different set of tyres on existing rims and save myself a fortune in not buying new wheels, rotors and cassette for minimum faff in switching from one to the other - I’d envisage the more normal width tyres would be on the bike 90%+ of the time,
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

People have run 2.3"'s on 50mm rims with no problems, probably best not to go narrower. Worth mentioning that WTB Rangers or Bonty XR2 29x3's roll very well and not that much heavier than a 29 x 2.3-6. Sourcing them can be an issue however....
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Ive used 2.35 and 2.4 on the back on a 50mm rim no problems at all the walls are I bit more exposed and its a little square but nothing bad tbh I'd be tempted to run 2.4 on back and 2.6 on the front when not using two 3.0 just to round the front tyre up a bit