Grease (is the word)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Grease (is the word)

Post by Al »

I need to buy some more grease for general assembly purposes- bb threads, headsets, etc
I’ve always bought the finish line stuff in a tube in the past. Whilst it’s fine, I’ve always had the suspicion the cycle industry has seen me coming and I could buy something very similar in a huge tub for a fraction of the costs elsewhere.
I’m thinking automotive stuff before this sets off a tirade of silliness about Vaseline or Marge!
So any recommendations or stick to what I’m buying?
AlexGold

Re: Grease (is the word)

Post by AlexGold »

I've got this for general use : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-LITHIU ... 635-2958-0

Other options on his shop page at decent prices. I actually mainly use a mini gun with whatever grease is in the cartridges....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a 250g tub of teflon grease bought from Halford's (I think it's their own brand) that's lasted me well over twenty years and still nowhere near using it up. Given that we've ten bikes between us...

I've a small grease gun for the fiddly areas and that's still on its original tube. I think gun and tube came from Chainreaction and probably part of their tool/maintenance line.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Always used copper grease for BB pedals headset etc
My tub is 20+ years old and will outlast me
I also have M prep for my turner and some generic CRC grease with a mini gun
Boab

Post by Boab »

Al wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:28 am I’m thinking automotive stuff before this sets off a tirade of silliness about Vaseline or Marge!
Are you saying we go off topic on here a bit...!?!

Anyhoo, the last general purpose grease I bought, years ago, was the Decathlon stuff, £4.99 a tube. When I built my gravel bike, I also bought some Molyslip - Copaslip, which is currently £5.27, I'm not sure I'll ever finish that tube. I also got a stick of thread lock (Loctite) and some carbon grip paste (Halfords).
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Al

Post by Al »

Yeah I use the tubes of finish line and have the gun that screws on. It’s not like I get through it at a terrific rate. But I’ve always thought £10 a tube smacked a little of emperors new clothes.

Thanks for the recommendations - that big tub of lithium grease linked by Alex is pretty much what I had in mind.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Al wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am Yeah I use the tubes of finish line and have the gun that screws on. It’s not like I get through it at a terrific rate. But I’ve always thought £10 a tube smacked a little of emperors new clothes.

Thanks for the recommendations - that big tub of lithium grease linked by Alex is pretty much what I had in mind.
I have a spare mini gun, refill it from your used tube, flid & clamp sorted. pm if you want it. at mo' its just rattling around in the tool box.
ps last time used Weldtite * TF2 general grease with teflon.
*Weldtite as in puncture kits, Barton upon Humber UK.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Carbon paste was the most infuriating thing to buy given I needed a smear on one seatpost and I suspect it might get reapplied once every ?? months.

I thought there were some potential incompatabilities with lithium grease?? Dont know, just something at the back of my mind.

Like most I buy whatever grease is about and given it seems to last for decades I'm pretty ambivalent about the cost, up to a reasonable limit, of course 😉
HUX

Post by HUX »

Silkolene Pro RG2 or Mobilgrease XHP222 (Hope use it apparently)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Copper grease on threads, moly grease on anything that moves. Get it in tins of fleabay or eurocar parts etc.
Falco pointed tip grease gun great for getting grease into the places your fingers can't reach.....
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Anti seize or copper slip for going between dissimilar metals - steel against alloys, seatpost being the classic example, stuff that doesn't move, but you don't want it in there forever.
Thick, moly grease for assembly parts like alloy bb cups into alloy frames.
Thinner, lithium type greases for moving parts like cup and cone bearings, I do use finish line at work for this.
Its as much about viscosity for grease as anything else, and depends on its application as which to use.