Brooks saddles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Brooks saddles

Post by barney »

Brooks saddles... are they all they're cracked up to be?

I've bought a nice new shiny bike and I'm thinking of upgrading the saddle, are they really that comfy (after the initial "wearing in" period)

Also is it a faff to treat them or are the synthetic ones equally as good

or basically are they just a case of the emperor's new clothes?

cheers
Wait for me...
lune ranger

Re: Brooks saddles

Post by lune ranger »

I have a B17 titanium, Swift titanium and C17.
My experience is that the leather ones are more comfortable. They do however get pretty saggy in prolonged wet. I used mine on MTB’s in UK wet and didn’t find it too much of an issue.
The C17 all weather saddle is quite new. I thought it uncomfortable at first and needed more fiddling than the leather to get the angle right. I just did my first 24hr ride with it and it was comfortable and my arse was intact at the end of it.
You need to tighten the leather ones a couple of times a year. A few turns with an Allen key is all and the leather needs to be treated with Proofride or similar. To me it’s no bother, I have a lot of kit - leather, waxed cotton, steel/iron or wood - that needs to be looked after and I find it quite satisfying doing those jobs.
It’s a thumbs up for me for Brooks.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I was in the same place as you and decided to give a Cambium one a go on a new bike. It’s nice but not significantly more (or less) comfortable than other saddles I get on with. It’s also quite weighty. I’m happy enough with it but won’t rush out to buy another.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I’ve got a C13, and it’s just ok. I have cheaper saddles that are just as comfortable and as light. Only real upside is that it’s the nylon one, so therefore waterproof.
May satan walk with you
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not Brooks exactly, but I've had a leather Spa Cycles saddle for a year or so now. As someone who struggles with backside comfort, I've found it a game-changer.

I've waxed it once or twice, but mainly out of a sense of duty. It's not had a particularly hard life though. It lives on the gravel bike. I haven't got any immediate plans to replace the ones on my mountain bikes, but I'd consider it when they need replacing... or maybe before - the Spa ones are more reasonable prices and seem generally (though not exclusively) well-regarded.

Same caveats as normal saddles: everyone's arse is different, get one that fits, get your fit/position right. But I think it's worth trying one and selling one if you don't get on with it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have two C17 all weather carved and love them. My search for the saddle for me is over. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have the original C17 and love it, great for bikes where the bars and seat are level.

Chain reaction has an offer on the C17 carved
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bro ... prod172816
Joe

Post by Joe »

Another vote for C17 all weather carved here, had one on my mtb and just bought another for my gravel/cross bike.

Chain reaction/Wiggle have them pretty cheap https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bro ... prod172816
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I have C17 Carved on everything with a B17 Imperial for best. I rode the Divide on the B17 but only really use it in the summer. I gave up wearing padded shorts, the Brooks are comfy in normal underwear. For me at least, best saddles ever.
ton

Post by ton »

spent years using B17 saddles. had a new hip fitted and could no longer use one.
now on a C19 and it is bloody ace. and agree with the bars/saddle at the same height. works great.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:10 pm Not Brooks exactly, but I've had a leather Spa Cycles saddle for a year or so now. As someone who struggles with backside comfort, I've found it a game-changer.

I've waxed it once or twice, but mainly out of a sense of duty. It's not had a particularly hard life though. It lives on the gravel bike. I haven't got any immediate plans to replace the ones on my mountain bikes, but I'd consider it when they need replacing... or maybe before - the Spa ones are more reasonable prices and seem generally (though not exclusively) well-regarded.

Same caveats as normal saddles: everyone's arse is different, get one that fits, get your fit/position right. But I think it's worth trying one and selling one if you don't get on with it.
I have a Spa that's about 5 years old and been abused on a mountain bike. Took a lot longer than a Brooks to break in, possibly as the leather is quite a bit thicker and it has a waterproof membrane on the underside to protect the leather. The shine has been rubbed of because of mud etc ending up between the saddle and my butt on wet rides where I've been caught out without a mudguard. Super comfy and very durable if a bit heavy.

Currently using a B17 on a different bike and still find the Spa to be more comfortable. Tried a C17 carved which was pretty good as well but would recommend that you don't use it without padded shorts!! :cry:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Used leather Brooks saddles for years on road bikes; Ti Swift, Ti B17, normal B17, a very old Champion...they were fine but the faff of keeping them dry-ish wasn't worth it.

The comfiest was the Ti B17, but that was after it semi-collapsed on one wet day ride, then I drilled and laced it to give it some strength, then I took it to a saddlery and they carved a channel out of the middle...life's just too short.

The USP was the leather flexed and therefore provided a bit of give on uneven ground. I don't know whether the Cambiums also do this but the weight of those along with stories of the saddle material wearing rubbing through shorts didn't prompt me to continue on the Brooks odyssey and with a bit of experimentation I found other lighter synthetic saddles that work as well for me.

If you want magic carpet long-distance comfort, ditch you gravel dropper and buy a suspension seatpost...unfashionable but I can ride all day in comfort on what would have been an ass-hatchet on a rigid post.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I should add it seemed to be complete luck as to whether your leather saddle would be comfortable or not. My Ti B17 was soft and comfy out of the box and consequently collapsed quickly. My Ti Swift was indestructible and like sitting on a brick; that cow must have had a hard life. :grin:

There was an old adage that you could break in your Brooks by putting it in the tumble dryer with a rock. You then threw away the saddle and fitted the rock as it would be more comfortable.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

If they fit your bum they are brilliant

Head to see Shona at Keep Peddling with your bike and borrow one for a spin around the streets of Manchester.

They also sell the colour coded Crivets like I have on my new bike on my old Brooks Cambium :-bd
pushirons

Post by pushirons »

I love my c17 for comfort. Both with or without padded shorts, I’ve never found a saddle more comfortable. It’s also lasted well, ridden off road in bad weather. As others have said is just a shame the weight is so high, nearly double my standard Fabric scoop.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not bothered about the weight of my leather Brooks saddle - they literally last for ever as a result. The jury is out on whether the weight of a cambium is worth it on those terms.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have a B 17 narrow on a road bike. when i get used to cycling more regularly. I find it more is more comfortable on long days, after a short period of adjustment..
I the rain i just put on a carrier bag over it (classy). the bag is stored under the saddle- out of sight until needed as a saddle cover, Ssppaarr carry out accessor, she cover etc..

[edit] shoe cover etc :oops: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

There was an old adage that you could break in your Brooks by putting it in the tumble dryer with a rock. You then threw away the saddle and fitted the rock as it would be more comfortable.
My bike building mentor (DH Tez at Colne Valley Cycles in 2005ish) taught me that. Not the washing machine though, but that you whack it and whack it until you're tired. Then chuck the brooks and fit the rock :lol:

Had a brief look at Lukes synthetic one, with it's nose pointing in the air and knew it wasn't for me. About 7 hours later post bivy and riding over the mountains I misjudged a drop and whacked myself into the carbon saddle I was using and almost came off said mountain.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had a B17 on my Amazon for years. My first ride was 80km or so in East Lothian and I was comfortable without any supposed break-in period. It's undoubtedly lardy though and when I started to take the Amazon off-road any mud thrown up was getting ground into it on top and was coating it from the bottom so I changed it to a Specialized Avatar. That was every bit as comfortable so the B17 never went back on. I still have the B17 in the garage I think. I might consider refitting it if I ever go on a long tarmac tour.