Which quality chainring bolts and threadlock?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Which quality chainring bolts and threadlock?

Post by techno »

After a near disaster today (one lost and 3 loose chainring bolts, nudity!) I'm looking for quality chainring bolts and which threadlock to use with them?

Ideally I'd like Allen key fitting on both the bolt and nut, I find the slotted type of nut to be annoying.

Thanks.
Bearlegged

Re: Which quality chainring bolts and threadlock?

Post by Bearlegged »

No direct experience, but I totally agree with you on the dual hex design. I'd have thought something like these Stronglight ones would do the job nicely?
https://www.sprocketandgear.co.uk/produ ... eel-silver
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I always use stronglight ones and have found them to be excellent quality and never had them come loose.

Never used threadlock on them. I grease mine to avoid any creaks. I've found they don't come undone as long as I tighten them up to start with :wink:

Were the ones you had an issue with alloy? I've had them fail, one went missing and when I took the others out one was loose as it had cracked, which I assume happend to the missing one as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:32 pm I always use stronglight ones and have found them to be excellent quality and never had them come loose.

Never used threadlock on them. I grease mine to avoid any creaks. I've found they don't come undone as long as I tighten them up to start with :wink:

Were the ones you had an issue with alloy? I've had them fail, one went missing and when I took the others out one was loose as it had cracked, which I assume happend to the missing one as well.
No they were steel, and I thought I'd cranked them up to F.T.
But they are old and have been used a lot of times, so maybe the threads are a bit baggy?

Thanks both
Mart

Post by Mart »

Always used strong light ones and never had any issues
I did try some double hex ones from wolf tooth, they were made of alloy, but soft cheese would have held up better
2924 miles per Gallon
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

A warning: I used some medium strength threadlock on some chainring bolts (I had the medium strength stuff to hand). When I tried to take them off I discovered that the thread on the bolts is wide - with a large surface area and lots of leverage - and the hex key slot in the middle is small with much less leverage. By the time I got the bolts off they were knackered; and so was I. :mrgreen:
I think you'll be ok with weak threadlock. Also, use heat to take them off.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Can't comment on bolts, as I just use whatever came with my GRX cranks, which have a threaded spider. As for thread lock, I think I use the Loctite 248 Medium Strength stick.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
techno

Post by techno »

daddylonglegs wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:12 am A warning: I used some medium strength threadlock on some chainring bolts (I had the medium strength stuff to hand). When I tried to take them off I discovered that the thread on the bolts is wide - with a large surface area and lots of leverage - and the hex key slot in the middle is small with much less leverage. By the time I got the bolts off they were knackered; and so was I. :mrgreen:
Noted!!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Never had a problem with "normal" Middleburn CR bolts, either normal ones or single ring / half height / whatever they're called.

Whatever loctite blue is to hand, think I've got a bottle of 242 and it's been going for yonks.
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

daddylonglegs wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:12 am A warning: I used some medium strength threadlock on some chainring bolts (I had the medium strength stuff to hand). When I tried to take them off I discovered that the thread on the bolts is wide - with a large surface area and lots of leverage - and the hex key slot in the middle is small with much less leverage. By the time I got the bolts off they were knackered; and so was I. :mrgreen:
I should add that these were used cheesium bolts of uncertain provenance, but you probably guessed that.