TAX on bikes from abroad

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

TAX on bikes from abroad

Post by rufus748 »

If I found myself in Germany, walked into a bike shop and bought one, do I pay the German equivalent of VAT or is it exempt working on the theory I'd get picked up for VAT on returning home?
pistonbroke

Re: TAX on bikes from abroad

Post by pistonbroke »

I guess it's the same situation as those who flew out to the US with some old BSO in a bike bag, returning with a shiny new Santacruz, etc which had cost the same in dollars as you'd pay in sterling. That was when the exchange rate was $2 to £1 and tax free sales were encouraged. I think the odds on being nabbed are pretty long, now if you were bringing in a jerry can of fuel!
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Is the shop offering to sell it VAT free to you on the understanding that you pay the VAT on entry to the UK? If that's the case, crack on and take the chance. You likely win.

If not, aren't you liable to the rules as per the link below?
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/g ... tors-eu_en

In any case, you should get a refund of VAT from Germany and may have to account for it on entering the UK.

Customs duties though...as I understand it, if the bike qualifies as EU made under rules of origin, then I think it'll be duty free on import, if it doesn't ie made in China (although more complex that in reality), then duty should be payable.

Mind you, what do I know? I only used to be a International Trade Officer prior to the Tories culling us on mass just as we voted to leave the EU. Pricks.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

make sure it dirty and looks well used...

and it's got no EU labels on it...
and come back as a cycle passenger....

is that worth the hassle?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Just buy it and ride it , then it's used when you bring it back, job jobbed
arkay

Post by arkay »

I had missed this thread when I posted my question about taking bikes abroad - as I was wondering whether bringing your own bike home from the EU might attract attention to detect precisely this kind of shenanigans.