Wheel build comments ref. the ideal Dyno wheel for bike packing and touring

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teaman

Wheel build comments ref. the ideal Dyno wheel for bike packing and touring

Post by Teaman »

I'm looking to get a Dyno hub boost wheel build and would be grateful for your wise/learned experience and comments please.

Use:
1) XC use in the UK, predominantly in the South coast area.
2) Bike packing/touring abroad. Dirt/gravel roads/single track and nothing too extreme.

Have heard good things on here ref Kinlin rims and was going to go for their TL 29 rim 32h. The friend who is going to build the wheel has suggested a very similar rim, namely the DCR XC/AM Big boy 30 rim.
Anyone here got any experience of these/comments?

Hub:
Am looking at the Son28 hub but also mindful of Spa Cycles own boost Dyno hub. They told me they specified non Chinese bearings and expect them to be long lasting.

Spokes:
Wheel building friend has recommended Sapim Force spokes with brass nipples.

Charging/Lights
Will be using a Klite setup of MTB lights and usb charger.

Tyres:
Looking to probably use around 2.25" and possibly up to 2.5" for bike packing.

Due the boost sizing Dyno hub, unfortunately this build is going to cost me a bit more than I would like. In essence, I don't want to spend loads extra on a rim if I can get a just as reliable one for less than perhaps a big name branded one. However, am also mindful to look at it as a long term investment and hence if the hub, build etc are too notch, might not be worth compromising on the rim.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to your comments 😁

PS I have searched for a s/h boost Dyno wheel but nothing out there!
Lazarus

Re: Wheel build comments ref. the ideal Dyno wheel for bike packing and touring

Post by Lazarus »

My solution was a normal dynamo hub with a boost conversion kit - though I do have to use it mainly on my commuter which is standard fit- should reduce the price somewhat

Son are considred the best hubs but i am sure you know that and they come at a price
Alpkit - Forget whose these are rebranded are selling a boost hub for £120
https://alpkit.com/products/love-mud-juice-boost
When mine breaks , and it will, I will be getting one of those Spa serviceble units . Who wants to strip a hub to send it off to get it fixed [ and I build my own wheels ]Its a lot of faff to fix a bearing that costs a fiver. That is a proper game changer . I am almots tempted to buy one now even though mine is fine currently [ SP one FWIW]

Spokes I have used Sapim, reused ones from an unknown hub , Dt Swiss and ome others and never had any issues with any of them- But I am light at 63 kg. Brass nipples are essential IMHO as alloy look bling but are essentially poor show over time[ wont adjust ]

Personally I use a Sinewave beacon over the K lite - plenty of weight saving :wink: and much smaller - YMMV

Rims whatever you fancy really No opinion on any of those mentioned as not used

Welcome to the club you wont go back [ probably due to how much you have spent to get the kit right :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Those spa / kasai ones look pretty good actually. SP's can be taken apart but its hassly. Son ones still rely on sealed cartridge bearings, just better quality than SP ones, so they will go eventually and you still can't officially take them apart. Or shimano for a few extra grams and a lot less dosh.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've built up a set of the TL-29 runs, they were nice and easy to build and seem ok for the trail riding I do in the Peak.
I'm pretty sure they're what Halo badge as the Vapour 35.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I can't fault my SON28 hub and also the kLite (road version) is excellent. I was recommended the sinewave charger and have one, although not wired up to use it yet.

While SP hubs and all rebranded versions (like Alpkit, USE, etc) are supposed to be good I spend a little more on the SON as they are supposed to be a little better in terms of longevity and reliability.
They also have the best drag figures, if that is important for you - although off-road I guess less of an issue.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Many thanks for the replies so far. I'll let you know what I decide to go for within the next week.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I really like my son28 for a hub - works very well
Cant comment on rims, as I’m in that dilemma myself, as trying to pick something robust
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd go SON or Shimano for the hub ... Shimano have given me no grief since I switched from SP type hubs. Good call on the K-Lite set up.
May the bridges you burn light your way