Remembering a mate

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Remembering a mate

Post by Rob S »

I went to a work mates funeral today. He always used to put his name down to work extra shifts and bank holidays. Then about 14 years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he got the all-clear after undergoing treatment and changed his life. He did a lot of sailing, walking and holidays and started enjoying himself a little.
Then 2 years ago he found out he had a brain tumour, which they couldn't do much for him apart from giving him more time. He said to me a while back, how pleased he was that he had made the most of those 10 years after the prostate cancer. He'll be missed by many.

You never know what life has got planned for you, so don't forget to fit some fun in there.
PaulE

Re: Remembering a mate

Post by PaulE »

Poor guy - as the father of a 10 year old with a brain tumor, I feel for all involved. Between treatment cycles, it's forced us to grab every opportunity as a family - from a last minute California road trip a few years back, to unexpected trips out to the theatre, family weekends in Bruges or London and buying a tandem...
Carpe Diem! Grab every chance to do something new/fun/happy or just together.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Life is indeed short and one day it will be your last ride, conversation or journey, yet we may not be aware of it at the time. I believe the question of 'life before death' is much more important than whether there's life after.
May the bridges you burn light your way
arkay

Post by arkay »

Good advice. I have found myself working increasingly long hours lately and never having enough time for family and fun. It's a hard balance between earning enough to live and having the time to do so. Fortunately I may soon be able to cut my working hours in half. I'm sure I will still never have enough time - even friends who are retired claim to have the same problem!
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

PaulE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:16 pm Poor guy - as the father of a 10 year old with a brain tumor, I feel for all involved. Between treatment cycles, it's forced us to grab every opportunity as a family - from a last minute California road trip a few years back, to unexpected trips out to the theatre, family weekends in Bruges or London and buying a tandem...
So sorry to hear that, it must be one of the worst things a parent can go through. Best of luck for the future.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Rob S wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:47 pm
You never know what life has got planned for you, so don't forget to fit some fun in there.
Beautifully put mate.

All the best to you and the family PaulE.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Rob S wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:51 pm
PaulE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:16 pm Poor guy - as the father of a 10 year old with a brain tumor, I feel for all involved. Between treatment cycles, it's forced us to grab every opportunity as a family - from a last minute California road trip a few years back, to unexpected trips out to the theatre, family weekends in Bruges or London and buying a tandem...
So sorry to hear that, it must be one of the worst things a parent can go through. Best of luck for the future.
Thanks! We're 7 years into it now, so pretty much normal life...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I lost my son this year, he was 21, he was my best mate, riding buddy and all round inspiration....I'm still in a kind of fog since,
Slowly trying to return to some kind of life without him, sorry for being morbid but we should all live our lives to the fullest, we know not is round the corner
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Really sorry to hear that. That must be a real blow, thoughts with you. A good reminder for us all

I've had couple of things happen around me, rather than to me, and its making me actively do things to create memories and have fun
Last edited by benp1 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

@FTK, not morbid at all. I have a 10 year old lad, I can't imagine what sort of state I'd be in if anything was to happen to him. All the best to you.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I assume for all of us with kids its our greatest fear and it is just not the natural order of things.

Hugs and best wishes to all those out there who have had to go through it.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

From the assorted crap that pops up on FB, one line that made me think recently, was "Run towards life, not away from death". Went to see The Alpinist last night - which really took that line of thinking to the max
https://youtu.be/SRpVyzagXLQ