OOF tyre clearance

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

OOF tyre clearance

Post by ootini »

Hi

I've got amn OnOne Fatty running Sram 2x10 gearing. It's currently still shod in the OnOne floaters which I think are 26x4". I'd like to upgrade them and go tubeless. From what I've heard Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's are the Goto tyre, but I'm unsure as to which width I could get away with. The JJs are available in 4, 4.4 and 4.8... anyone know ?

Thanks
DickieH

Re: OOF tyre clearance

Post by DickieH »

Mate has Fatty Trail with a 4" in there atm and will have a look at clearance tonight. I can defo recommend the 4.4's over the 4.0 if you have a nice wide rim. More grip not much more rolling res, and fatter is alright right eh!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I put some JJ 4.4s on mine many, many ages ago and they were ok until you actually pedaled. It's not the stiffest frame and if I stood up they rubbed the chain stays. I'd stick with 4 inch max if I were you. My current fatty wheels have Surly Nates at "just" 3.8 and they are the best big tyres I've ridden. Not too big. Not too small. I wouldn't want to be on them in Iceland in deep snow though.

Having said that, can I get your Floaters if you wanna part with them? I actually really liked them and managed to get mine up tubeless after some mild sweating and swearing. Underrated tyres in my opinion.
I'm just going outside ...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I liked Floaters as well and had them set up tubeless on my OOF. I ran JJ 4.0s for about three weeks before selling them on as I hated them. I think a lot depends on where you live and what you ride but I've had multiple Nates on my fat bikes and struggle to see past them for the riding I do. I currently have an Edna 4.3 up front but I'll be going back to a Nate again once it's worn out, it's not terrible but I reckon Nates are better and for me wider is not always better. YMMV of course.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I've got an unused Floater in the workshop Tim. If I'm right, then it's yours if you want it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am I think I've got an unused Floater in the workshop Tim. If I'm right, then it's yours if you want it :-bd
Does this comment belong on the trowel thread, Norm?
:wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am I think I've got an unused Floater in the workshop Tim. If I'm right, then it's yours if you want it :-bd
Yes please Stu. If you find it, very happy to relieve you of it. Cheers :-bd
I'm just going outside ...