Toast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rudedog

Re: Toast

Post by rudedog »

pushirons wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:21 am I’ve got one of these, works quite well over a gas stove. The mesh heats up, starts glowing and gives your bread a even toast.

Question is, how to pack your best sliced and not get is squashed?

Summit Folding Toaster Stainless Steel Ideal For Camping, Fishing, Travelling & Outdoor Use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VFWZVN8/ ... UTF8&psc=1
That's the same design as the GSI one I mentioned earlier but slightly cheaper
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I am oddly obsessed with this thread and I'm mildly concerned it has opened a proper Can Of Worms for me and my TMS approach.

How do you carry bread without squishing it? With some Tupperware of course. Amazon has very nice sandwich boxes in a range of colours for £2.

Do I put a couple of whole baby tomatoes in there too? Yes of course, because I can't be slicing tomatoes up 12 hours before I eat them: they'll go all sad and limp. So perhaps I need a cutting board and a nice sharp knife. Actually, I always have a nice sharp knife with me, and can probably manage to cut up a few little tomatoes with a cutting board, but ... you know.

And the Honey Stove is not exactly a small or light piece of kitchen equipment.

Next of course I am thinking what else goes well with toast. Eggs. Bit of bacon. A few slices of black pudding. What about some baked beans and mushrooms? And because I grew up in Aussie I will probably want the option of Vegemite on the toast as well.

So I suspect I'm moving from having a Nescafe 3-in-1 coffee while I pack up my camp and the go find a cafe, to cooking a proper full English with several slices of toast. It's going to take ages. A night out a few years back with MuddyPete and Rich3rd was deeply enhanced when in the morning Rich did a proper fry up while Pete ate some Sorreen and I gagged my way through a re-hydrated de-hydrated meal.

It is what it is.

Sigh ...
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:02 pm Tupperware ..... cutting board...nice sharp knife....
Can I just check here for a moment.... am I on "Bear Bones Bikepacking" forum? Or is it "Ideal Homes" forum? Or "Lifestyle Today"?

Gotta luv ya Tim :grin: :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

TBH it would make your life a LOT easier if, instead of packing your house's contents into your bikepacking bags and went riding outdoors, you did the opposite - took your bike indoors and rode it round all the rooms.

If you needed to use a specific piece of kit you'd ride to the room that contained it. You'd still have all your normal bikepacking kit available to you of course ( jacuzzi, four-poster bed, Aga, full-sized billiards table, etc, etc).
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'll be very disappointed if some bright spark hasn't already produced a tupperware box with a lid that doubles as a chopping board.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:15 pm TBH it would make your life a LOT easier if, instead of packing your house's contents into your bikepacking bags and went riding outdoors, you did the opposite - took your bike indoors and rode it round all the rooms.

If you needed to use a specific piece of kit you'd ride to the room that contained it. You'd still have your normal bikepacking kit available to you of course ( jacuzzi, four-poster bed, Aga, full-sized billiards table, etc, etc).
Mate you are a proper funny busterd. But ... blah blah blah. You know I'm built for comfort and that is, as they say, that.

Here's a thing though. I love the simple reality that we all have different solutions to the same problem. I'm pretty sure we can apply some maths to this and work out what is the optimum ratio between comfort vs speed.

Im not doing it: I don't have the skills. But surely someone on here can wrangle us up an algorithm and make it work.

And Ive realised we were talking about toast. So sorry for the highjack
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm we were talking about toast
Everything's fine mate. BBB Standard Thread Deviation in action.
So sorry for the highjack
Well there's an interesting one to conjure with. Is it possible to hijack one's own thread?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Is it possible to hijack one's own thread?
Presumably it's an advanced form of Stockholm syndrome.