Rate my tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Rate my tarp

Post by jameso »

Been trying a few 'standard pitches' since giving up on the Ray Mears just-chuck-it-up-anywhere approach and looking for something that works independently of trees, fences etc. Used a wheel-tunnel as my standard bivi cover on a trip last year for a week plus and it was great. Trying out a similar set up with a smaller tarp now. I wouldn't expect to stay totally dry in heavy rain with these pitches but under tree cover the lack of driven rain would make the V a passable shelter.

2 styles and a variation below. Any comments and critiques appreciated.. thanks.

for rain cover with leg room

original V pitch with less leg room but more stable if windy

more of a windbreak pitch
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Rate my tarp

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nice tight pitch with no wrinkles or creases ... looks good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

ive used the same methods really well if its for the wrt, well im hoping for no rain so will leave the tarp at home and just use the bivvy bag ( and midge head net ) how are the little buggers Stu are they present yet?? :o
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

how are the little buggers Stu are they present yet??
The first wave arrived on Tuesday ... not out in force yet but it won't be long ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Personal fav.

Watch the loose wheel version in winds, it can wobble and fail. By keeping it close to the tarp you can usually catch a couple of tie-outs on a tyre lug to help with stability.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anthony, that's good - looks like a better way to have both stability and leg room with a smaller tarp. I like the bike at the head-end as the frame bag's easily accessed so hadn't tried that one.