Trail Gaiters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Trail Gaiters

Post by Boab »

Does anyone wear trail running gaiters with their bike shoes...? I've been thinking about this a lot recently, as I keep having to stop and empty seeds, mud, stones, etc, from my shoes and it's getting annoying. This kind of thing - Altra Trail Gaiter, Alpkit Kantju Running Gaiter, or Decathlon Kalenji Trail Gaiters.

Last edited by Boab on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Re: Trail Gaiters

Post by ScotRoutes »

In winter, yes. Otherwise I find them a bit sweaty.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got some Innov8 ones but I find that they don't really do that much good - somehow stuff still finds its way inside.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

That's disappointing. I was hoping these would be some sort of silver bullet, highly breathable, totally waterproof and stop everything...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's disappointing. I was hoping these would be some sort of silver bullet, highly breathable, totally waterproof and stop everything...
Mine are more of a softshell material with a knitted cuff, so quite breathable but far from totally waterproof.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Yes in winter or really really wet days or crossing wet grass/tussocks.
And under over trousers if it is sluicing down.
I also wear a mid cut approach shoe that is higher than a trainer cut.

I use Mountain Warehouse gaiters the type that clip on the front of your boot/shoe and have a strap under.
I have used GTex and various other premium priced ones and these are just a good/bad.
They are a faff to put on can be a bit sweaty if the sun comes out so I leave them open at the top but this only works if you don't have the ones with elasticated ankles.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having just looked at the Alpkit ones, I'd say they would likely perform better than mine as they're noticeably higher.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:27 am Having just looked at the Alpkit ones, I'd say they would likely perform better than mine as they're noticeably higher.
I got a pair of Salamon copies from AliExpress.
Aonijie brand. The velcro to adjust/ fasten round, is quite stiff on hooked piece, so they annoy rather than rub.. all spandex, just keeps muck out. (fixed length under strap)
the other pair are a step in pair. claimed water proof, more water resistant and will deflect puddle splashes, rather than saturation by wet grass. (adjustable length under strap)
I use then on the bike rather than running..
Aliexpress gaiters
Aliexpress gaiters
IMG_19092021_103823_(800_x_450_pixel).jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 890 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have some Gripgrab ones. They do slow the process of water running down your legs into your boots but I’ve not used them that much.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-cycli ... ankle-cuff
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I pretty much always use some. Gripgrabs on my MW7 boots to keep water off my socks or if I’m using my other shoes - Suplest SupTraction or Shimano XM9 - I use some cloth Montane scree gaiters to keep the bits out.
They work just fine, aren’t at all sweaty but are a bit fiddly getting on and off. The hooks to attach to your laces are flat, maybe designed to attach to a wire shoe closure, and are therefore hard work to attach to standard laces, flat or round.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:11 pm I pretty much always use some. Gripgrabs on my MW7 boots to keep water off my socks or if I’m using my other shoes - Suplest SupTraction or Shimano XM9 - I use some cloth Montane scree gaiters to keep the bits out.
They work just fine, aren’t at all sweaty but are a bit fiddly getting on and off. The hooks to attach to your laces are flat, maybe designed to attach to a wire shoe closure, and are therefore hard work to attach to standard laces, flat or round.
the Salomon clycra opies are scree/sand/grit gaiter, I wear just to key crap off the socks or laces.
I've thought about adding zips to make put-on put I've put that off! I concluded the putting a zip at the rear or outer edge), will be a big faff and rabbit hole , cos then it need a Velcro /press-stud popper thingy, and the shock gripper will be in the wrong place... you get the idea. I can live with it..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Interesting topic for me. I always use overshoes in wet weather or when it's muddy or cold and never have a problem. Clearly I don't want to wear them when it's dry but then notice a lot of objects entering my shoes which is very annoying. So watching with interest to see the different options suggested here 👍
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Never use them for biking, but when travelling on foot I wear OR ankle high gaiters or some light weight self made ones.

OR are well worth checking, they've been making fantastic gaiters for decades.