Custom frame bag recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

Custom frame bag recommendations

Post by directdrive »

Looking into a custom full-frame bag for my Longitude and wondering if anyone has good experiences. It needs to be relatively affordable and some degree of waterproofing is preferred, although anything that needs to be kept 100% dry will go in dry bags elsewhere.

Looking at Alpkit, Wee Cog, Dirtbags, Beerbabe.

Since money's tight, Dirtbags Climbing looks attractive to me right now at £55. Any experiences either way?
johnnystorm

Re: Custom frame bag recommendations

Post by johnnystorm »

I've had custom bags from Bikepack.eu, Alpkit and most recently from Straight Cut design. All have been good. The Straight Cut is very well made and fits perfectly.
https://www.straightcutdesign.com
20210917_141255.jpg
20210917_141255.jpg (198.2 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure you won't go wrong with any but Custom Merit gear is also worth a look. Not the cheapest but top notch.

https://www.custommeritgear.com/en/frame-bags
May the bridges you burn light your way
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Both of those options look fantastic. If I wasn't restricted to the cheaper end of things I'd definitely consider them. As it is, £100 looks like my absolute upper limit and I'd rather spend less. Thanks both though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've an Alpkit frame bag that I've had years. I don't use it much these days but it has stood up to plenty of abuse without issue. Not as precise a fit as some others (my Wildcat bag is mm perfect) but on a budget, I don't think you'd go far wrong. I recall they also offer the option of a 'surgeons' entry which is something I like.
May the bridges you burn light your way
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Yes, I've seen that, it's a tempting option. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Beerbabe actually - I like the idea of having a piece of affordable gear that's not Alpkit (!) and fully custom made out of recycled stuff. Given the reviews and apparent quality of the product, £80 seems like a really fair deal. Not lightweight or stormproof, but nice. They seem to be popular on here as well.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've had three frame bags from Alpkit over the years and they've all fit very well, if not perfectly tight. But value for money + fit and performance, they're great. But if money is tight do have a look on Amazon for Moosetreks frame bags. I bought an XL one for my Big Bro and it fits like a custom bag. Very happy with it for less than £50.
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What size longitude ? I have a custom one for a medium from alpkit PM if interested ( two parts with removable partition )
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Bike bags.co.uk well worth a look. I got a custom full frame bag with all the extras I needed for 100 and its spot on.
techno

Post by techno »

My weecog frme bag is great. Excellent communication and quality and in your budget. https://www.weecog.co.uk/collections/on ... ducts/cage
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:43 pm I'm sure you won't go wrong with any but Custom Merit gear is also worth a look. Not the cheapest but top notch.

https://www.custommeritgear.com/en/frame-bags
+1 to this... They fit me upand had it made and delivered within about 7 days. Fit is perfect (or as perfect as perfect can be) and each time I go outin it I'm amazed at how much it guzzles up.

Not cheap though but the buying process reflects the custom quality and comms etc
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Big thumbs up to Straight Cut from me.
Boab

Post by Boab »

According to the email I've just received, Straight Cut are currently working at capacity, with lead times of 6 to 8 weeks from order confirmation.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

directdrive wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm Yes, I've seen that, it's a tempting option. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Beerbabe actually - I like the idea of having a piece of affordable gear that's not Alpkit (!) and fully custom made out of recycled stuff. Given the reviews and apparent quality of the product, £80 seems like a really fair deal. Not lightweight or stormproof, but nice. They seem to be popular on here as well.
I haven't any direct experience of her work so take this with a pinch of salt but whenever I see items made out of old intertubes I think of the tubes I put in bin because age has caused them to go all crumbly and some of them aren't as old as some of the bike luggage I've got...
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:44 pm
directdrive wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm Yes, I've seen that, it's a tempting option. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Beerbabe actually - I like the idea of having a piece of affordable gear that's not Alpkit (!) and fully custom made out of recycled stuff. Given the reviews and apparent quality of the product, £80 seems like a really fair deal. Not lightweight or stormproof, but nice. They seem to be popular on here as well.
I haven't any direct experience of her work so take this with a pinch of salt but whenever I see items made out of old intertubes I think of the tubes I put in bin because age has caused them to go all crumbly and some of them aren't as old as some of the bike luggage I've got...
Not a bad point actually.

In the event someone on here PMd me to recommend a guy who makes them, think I'm going to give him a go. Updates to come....
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Here's something I hadn't thought of when ordering my two from Alpkit (for different bikes). I find it easier to fill a frame bag with the bike on its side - that way, stuff doesn't fall out while you're putting the next item in. Next time I order a custon frame bag, I'll ask for the zips to be on the same side as the rear mech. That way, when I put the bike on its side, the mech won't be at risk of damage from pressing on the ground.

On the subject of AK bags, mine have been much used and never let me down - even when I've had to really cram stuff in and strain the zips.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...