GRRR. Cracked rim again

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

GRRR. Cracked rim again

Post by Mart »

Ok so I’ve got a cracked rim again (Both Stans Arch M3s, always on Rear wheel drive side spokes)
First time was on my hard tail, second time now on my bouncy bike.

I’m not usually that hard on my components, but the same rim failing in the same way twice
Not sure its up for the extra weight/hammering from bike packing
Need something stronger! 32h 29er ideally 25+mm internal

What should I be considering?
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Re: GRRR. Cracked rim again

Post by ScotRoutes »

You're far from the first to have cracked an Arch Mk3 rim. I'm still using the earlier version of the Arch without any problems.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I had some flows previously (older version ones) never had any hassle from them
2924 miles per Gallon
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I had years of trouble free riding on Mk1 and 2 Crests but I was warned off any Mk3 Stan's rims on here in the summer so defaulted back to my favourites: DT Swiss.

Went for XR391s as comparable to Archs for width and weight. Been very happy with XM481 and EX471 on other bikes.
Last edited by Dyffers on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Find a new wheel builder. There are very specific spoke tension figures which, if not adhered to, will cause the rim to crack. If you're building them yourself then invest in a spoke tension gauge. IMO the only reason they crack is cack handed building in the first place.

I've got 2 pairs of Arch MK3 wheels in service, one I built myself, one I didn't have time to build so had them built, guess which ones cracked. The rim was replaced under warranty and I rebuilt it myself, no problems since. One pair lives on my Jones, had been down the Divide among many, many loaded bikepacking miles. The other pair are on my usual XC bike, no problems with either pair other than a poor show build on one to start with.
Mart

Post by Mart »

It’s not the wheel builder - he knows what he’s doing
It’s not me by the way! That’s not a skill I possess (for the time being)
2924 miles per Gallon
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mart wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 pm It’s not the wheel builder - he knows what he’s doing
The one that cracked on me came from a very reputable source.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 pm
Mart wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 pm It’s not the wheel builder - he knows what he’s doing
The one that cracked on me came from a very reputable source.
Don't you just hate when
a) - Gear is over hyped and under specified for the task in hand.*
b) - You have to pay for the privilege of being part of their unofficial R+D programmes.*

( * that is the manufacturer..)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Karl

Post by Karl »

Common fault with Stans Arch Mk3's. Mk2's were solid, unfortunately they were chasing the weight weenie market. Changed to Halo Vapour for the wife's bike and SS Blunts for mine. Both seem to be holding up well.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Towards the end of the HT550 route the bike was creaking a bit.......every drive side spoke hole had cracked. Stans mk3 32H. On top of that the sharp edge of the rim had chewed through the tyre bead front and back so I had to stick tubes in. Utter poor show. Rebuilt using DT swiss M502's and haven't had to touch them in over 3 years.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

HUX wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am Towards the end of the HT550 route the bike was creaking a bit.......every drive side spoke hole had cracked. Stans mk3 32H. On top of that the sharp edge of the rim had chewed through the tyre bead front and back so I had to stick tubes in. Utter poor show. Rebuilt using DT swiss M502's and haven't had to touch them in over 3 years.
China & US goods boycott, following shafs lead?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Mart

Post by Mart »

HUX wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am Towards the end of the HT550 route the bike was creaking a bit.......every drive side spoke hole had cracked. Stans mk3 32H. On top of that the sharp edge of the rim had chewed through the tyre bead front and back so I had to stick tubes in. Utter poor show. Rebuilt using DT swiss M502's and haven't had to touch them in over 3 years.
Did you notice much difference in how they feel when riding? Did they feel heavier??
2924 miles per Gallon
HUX

Post by HUX »

They obviously are a bit heavier Mart but I can't say I noticed much difference. I knew they were a stronger rim so gave me the confidence to go a bit quicker through the rougher stuff and I'd rather that than worry about a few grams. I once did the Cairngorms loop on a pair of Crests and spent 3 days waiting for them to break!
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've had 4 Stans Arches over 2 years. All of them cracked around the spoke holes drive side on rear wheel. I first thought it may be the mechanics fault but I was wrong. There is definitely a problem with this rim and a friend of mine had the same issue. I bought a DT Swiss XR331 instead which is a similar weight and had no issues.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Mart wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:34 pm Ok so I’ve got a cracked rim again (Both Stans Arch M3s, always on Rear wheel drive side spokes)
First time was on my hard tail, second time now on my bouncy bike.

I’m not usually that hard on my components, but the same rim failing in the same way twice
Not sure its up for the extra weight/hammering from bike packing
Need something stronger! 32h 29er ideally 25+mm internal

What should I be considering?
I've just had the same issue - Mk3s, 32h on a 29er. I found cracks in three places on the rear rim following the Highland Trail this year. They were also built by a reputable wheel builder.

After a good deal of research, I've replaced mine with DT Swiss XM481 rims. I decided to go with 30mm internal for a bit more strength and accept the 140g overall weight penalty on the MK3s (I got the front wheel rebuilt as well). The wheels have come together nicely, but not ridden them much yet.