Backcounty 3000 bivy: thoughts?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Backcounty 3000 bivy: thoughts?

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 000-p14977

Its the heavier version of sierra designs backcountry withapparently stronger/proofier floor. But they both specify 30d. Gonna be used as my lightweight option and mainly for the BB200 for starters.

Anyone got exp or thoughts on either pls. Cartainly 3000 looks stealthier and it'll probably get used during some daytime bivvies post-work (night shift).

Thanks in advance
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Backcounty 3000 bivy: thoughts?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No direct experience Shaf but the spec looks good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Post by atk »

I have one but haven't even opened the envelope it came in, let alone spend the night in it. Seemed to make sense at the time and nothing else was available, but might send it back given nothing's really gone to plan this year.

Made in China if you're still boycotting them. If you're not, it's not really that light and buying an Alpkit Hunka would save you ~50g and ~£70.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm not convinced but I'm probably not the best person to ask about a bivvy bag as I've only used one (on its own that is) a few times. I've got a Rab Ascent https://www.inglesport.com/product/rab- ... VGEALw_wcB which is heavier and pricier but the clamshell opening means you can slither in without rain pouring in as well, unlike the sierra one. Once your in, you can keep it unzipped a bit and still be dry (ish) in the rain. That said as my borah bag and tap is only 50g's heavier I tend to not use it much these days....
redefined_cycles

Thanks all... Might have to consider the lighter version of the AK afterall. The Hunka did work well for me before my dummy fell out briefly. So maybe the newer version of the hunka might be on the cards :smile: decisions isions ions ns.... (sorry just woken up from slumber whilst contemplating this months BAm
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 pm I'm not convinced but I'm probably not the best person to ask about a bivvy bag as I've only used one (on its own that is) a few times. I've got a Rab Ascent https://www.inglesport.com/product/rab- ... VGEALw_wcB which is heavier and pricier but the clamshell opening means you can slither in without rain pouring in as well, unlike the sierra one. Once your in, you can keep it unzipped a bit and still be dry (ish) in the rain. That said as my borah bag and tap is only 50g's heavier I tend to not use it much these days....
Very good point about the RAB btw... hadn't ever really thought about it like that :smile:
redefined_cycles

ATK, yes I'm still trying to buy non-china produce where appropriate. The boots are from China but appear to have a massive blurb on the Arcteryx website about thier factory ethics and background (they were replacements as I doubt I could afford originals/rrp by them).
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Before buying any bivy that isn't made of a waterproof membrane, and to be honest, any waterproof membrane that isn't eVent, have a really good think about how you want to use it and how fussed you are about getting a very noticable layer on condensation inside.

While all bivys might say "water resistant / breathable", I find that unless its eVent, you will get wet from condensation in many situations (caveat; I have only used eVent, but the consensus is its the best). That isn't necessarily a problem, if you know how to deal with it, but you can't just chuck a non-membrane bivy out anywhere and have a good night... where as in my experience, you can chuck an eVent bivy out anywhere, under any conditions, without any mitigations and have a very comfortable night; in all my many nights in various Rab bivies, I have only once had minor condensation in the footbox when camping right by a lake on a dew heavy night.

Contrast that to my "water resistant / breathable" bivy (from a good cottage supplier)... its far lighter than eVent, but initially, every night I would wake up soaked. I nearly sold it, but eventually through a lot of research and experimentation, I have come to understand how to manage it. A very, very brief summary for use in the UK would be: if you aren't using a tarp, you either need a lot of wind, or to be under dense tree cover, or to sleep under some kind of structure that is not very high above the bivy. If you are using a tarp, you need the tarp to be relatively enclosing, and not too high above the bivy (i.e. it needs to give a reasonable protection to the bivy).

Personally, I'm considering selling both my bivies and getting the MLD eVent Soul, which is almost as light as my "water resistant / breathable" bivy, but made of eVent, so should perform as well as my current Rab. And as a bonus, has an almost full length side zip, which in my opinion makes bivy life far more enjoyable. It is rather spendy thought... :(
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

RE: weight. The Sierra Designs is listed as 394g, I'm fairly certain that's less than a Hunka XL (but more than the Alpkit Kloke)? The SD also has netting and a zip which should ease access. You just need to decide what features are important to you Shaf and choose accordingly.
atk

Post by atk »

I think I was looking at the regular Hunka (~330g claimed). Out of complete work boredom I weighed the long version of the 3000 and it comes in at 474g with bag and tags, claimed to be 440g without, which seems ambitious.
redefined_cycles

Just looked at the event soul MLD :smile: it's eyewatering hey, considering the extra import fees...

Maybe I just need to get into the modern age and get a gatewood (for ultralight packing needs) and use with groundsheet and/or the mat...
redefined_cycles

Or this https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/tents/six ... pe-trekker which is apparently longer but shallower than Lunar. Then save weight (and liklihood/urge to use for/mid the bb200) by just taking a quilt/sleeping bag and leaving the mat behind...

:-S
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps a simple flat tarp is the answer Shaf? Needn't weigh or even cost much but can provide decent levels of weather protection and also make any bivvy bag a viable option.