Useful Side by Side Mapping / Aerial Website.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Useful Side by Side Mapping / Aerial Website.

Post by The Cumbrian »

I found this link recently that shows an OS map side by side with aerial photos, so if you want to find out if that bridleway or trail you fancy using is real or imaginary, you can have a look first.

https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Disclaimer: It may take away the thrill of discovering that the bridleway shown on the map is actually rideable, or a bog, thigh-high heather, tussocks or a hellscape combination of all three.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
thenorthwind

Re: Useful Side by Side Mapping / Aerial Website.

Post by thenorthwind »

Good find! Thanks for sharing
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used that one for a few years but it used to run out of OS tile allowance in the evenings (there was some sort of limited license being used). I don't know if that's been resolved.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've used that one for a few years but it used to run out of OS tile allowance in the evenings (there was some sort of limited license being used). I don't know if that's been resolved.
Bikehike would do that too Colin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

If you are a web developer, then feel free to clone my code here: https://github.com/thechrisps/mapbrowser that does a similar thing; it displays full screen OS, OSM and Bing Satellite images on top of each other. You can vary the opacity of each layer, or use keyboard shortcuts (numbers 1-3) to snap a map to 100% visibility. I find it useful for route finding, as you can follow OSM / OS paths overlaid on the sat imagery to see if the maps are lying!

Note that the routing system isn't finished yet (lack of time!) and doesn't work properly (no undo last, edit nodes, etc). Although you can (from the JavaScript console) call an export to GPX function if you want to get hacky. To create a route, click create route, then plot the route, double click to end the route.

Unfortunately I can't just run it as a publicly accessible service because of map licencing.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use the National Library of Scotland mapping pages for this. They are particularly good because they have a wide range of historical mapping, showing old tracks and buildings. They don't just cover Scotland though the most up-to-date OS mapping is from (IIRC) the 1960s. Thankfully, the hills don't move much 😁
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:52 pm I use the National Library of Scotland mapping pages for this. They are particularly good because they have a wide range of historical mapping, showing old tracks and buildings. They don't just cover Scotland though the most up-to-date OS mapping is from (IIRC) the 1960s. Thankfully, the hills don't move much 😁
yes this is very good, also tells you information about thing what building cairns were when they had more importance/ or how names originated.
I covered it in this thread
viewtopic.php?p=271562#p271562
I'm glad it works for you...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..