Thermarest Hyperion sleeping bag reviews

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Thermarest Hyperion sleeping bag reviews

Post by ootini »

Long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of thermarest sleeping bags as my finger is on the trigger. Specifically the Hyperion 20 UL https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bag-p11276

It's ticking most of my boxes, but was hoping for real world opinions

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Thermarest Hyperion sleeping bag reviews

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looking at the spec it's certainly a decent quality bag but it does seem quite expensive for a 0 rated bag. Also, you need to remember that 900fp is the US isn't the same as 900fp in Europe.

Are you sure you don't want a quilt? Something like the Enlightened Enigma would be warmer, that bit lighter and cost less.
https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/quilts/en ... a-quilt-20
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers Stu.
I must admit, I've always used cheap, rubbish mats, so I've been quilt - phobic, worried they'd be much cooler than a sleeping bag. However, I'm about to upgrade my mat to an Exped Synmat HL Winter, which has an R rating of 5+ so I would imagine that would mean a quilt could work.
Id never considered a quilt before but the Enlightened Equipment quilts you linked to, look great.
For those that use quilts in the winter, what kind of fill weight do you look for ? I'd like to pick something up that could see me through the year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For those that use quilts in the winter, what kind of fill weight do you look for ? I'd like to pick something up that could see me through the year.
I've a few ... Cumulus 150 has seen me down to zero but I'll admit that it wasn't the best night I've ever had :wink: Cumulus 350 will usually do me all year as will my Sierra Designs which I prefer when it's colder as it's bigger / longer and has a 'hood'. For the very worst conditions, I have a custom Enlightened quilt that has something like 800g of 900fp but in reality it's too warm for typical UK conditions, even in the depths of a severe winter.

350g - 450g of quality down should be fine for year round UK quilt use.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers Stu. For a quilt based, winter sleep setup, is there a recommended minimum R value for a sleep mat ?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath’s a Cumulus 350 which she’s used down to -6C so will cope with most UK winter nights. That’s with an Exped Synmat.

The 150 is fine for summer or (cough) racing but the 250 will suit more people for a longer season.

It does depend on the ground you are on as to whether a mat can cope rather than air temperature. Pine needles are rather different to solid ice for example
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is there a recommended minimum R value for a sleep mat ?
Not as such but I've always considered anything with an R value of 4 or above to be perfectly fine for year round use. Note - that's the old US R value rating. As Bob says a Synmat UL 7 is capable of keeping you warm on frozen ground, so something with a similar value.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Slight hijack, I was just looking at the enlightened quilts on Stu's link above as I'm after a replacement for my aging cumulus ultralight 350 for mild winter, cold spring and autumn nights. They also have a Cumulus Taiga 350 quilt - advertised as for hammocks but I can't see why it wouldn't do for 'normal' use. Its shorter than the standard quilt but the 'long' version looks just the job for me. Anyone got one?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Iirc the hammock specific TQ are narrower. Theory being in a hanmock your UQ wraps up the sides.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm Iirc the hammock specific TQ are narrower. Theory being in a hanmock your UQ wraps up the sides.
Yep very much this. I've a Taiga 350 hammock quilt which is perfect in my hammock but not so good on a mat if it's cold or windy. It doesn't wrap my giant manly shoulders. So, it's just not wide enough and the foot box is too long. From top of the calf to foot. I really wish it was just a foot box because I get all grumpy and crampy trying to get in and out when I wake up and 1am and need a wee. (I've had two kids ..................... ) In my hammock, it's perfect, as once asleep, I just don't move or wake. But on the ground, meh. So don't buy a Taiga if you're gonna sleep on t' floor.

And as for
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm Iirc the hammock specific TQ are narrower. Theory being in a hanmock your UQ wraps up the sides.
Yep very much this. I've a Taiga 350 hammock quilt which is perfect in my hammock but not so good on a mat if it's cold or windy. It doesn't wrap my giant manly shoulders. So, it's just not wide enough and the foot box is too long. From top of the calf to foot. I really wish it was just a foot box because I get all grumpy and crampy trying to get in and out when I wake up and 1am and need a wee. (I've had two kids ..................... ) In my hammock, it's perfect, as once asleep, I just don't move or wake. But on the ground, meh. So don't buy a Taiga if you're gonna sleep on t' floor.

And as for
...what? :grin:
I was looking at the long/wide version which is a bit wider and longer than my 150.... 'spose its only 40bar cheaper than the enlightened and the same weight for the long version. :YMDAYDREAM:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sierra Designs quilts are longer / wider than Cumulus.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Back to the OPs question, I have the Thermarest Vesper 32, which I believe is just the Hyperion 32 in quilt format. I bought this after a lot of procrastinating between Enlightened Equipment, Cumulus and a few others.

Overall though, very happy with my purchase. It is subjectively warmer than the Rab Neutrino 400 which it replaces (and is not far off half the weight). It's my first quilt, so I can't easily compare to other quilts, but I prefer it to a bag due to the way it sticks in position while I move around under it. The things that attracted me over EE and Cumulus were the fact there were lots of UK resellers and the clever baffling system which provides more of a seal around the mat.

Quality wise, it is excellent and the material is more down proof than my Neutrino 400; it doesn't look like I have murdered a goose in the tent every morning when I wake up (even though that is probably what I actually have done at some point 6 months before the date of manufacture of the bag :| )

My biggest beef is that the quilt has tabs for two retaining cords along its length (to hold it under the mat). But they only supply it with 1. Totally daft, as without 2, you definitely get drafts.

I reckon I sleep fairly cold for a guy and I find the Vesper 32 good by itself with just base layers late May > August. Into the shoulder seasons (March > Oct) and in the Alps, I have never been cold by layering up with my Polartec Classic Micro 100 and or Berghaus Hyperlite Down Jacket and a Buff beanie in a full mesh inner tent. Never tried it outside those months; I have a -9C comfort bag for winter.

So overall, I'm pretty pleased with the Thermarest Vesper line and therefore would probably be impressed with the Hyperions too. If we are going to get picky, the included compression stuff sack is heavy because of the compression straps, so I don't use it (just stuff it into my saddlepack).

Oh, and I'm 6'4" and the "long" Vesper fits me well.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I also have a Vesper 32 UL, which replaced an old RAB Atlas 800. I don't use it with any straps and have woken up a few times wondering Why is my [back|arse|leg] cold?. It's a fantastic bit of kit though, and if it gets a bit parky over the winter, I'd certainly consider splashing more cash on the Vesper 20 UL.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Perhaps not the most helpful reply, but I have a thermarest bag that's a few years old. Good well into minus temperature.

It was good value at the time and while it's not the lightest or smallest, overall I really like it.

I get far less down lost than Alpkit bags, although suspect that is largely due to the Alpkit bags being lighter for the spec/money.