BikeHike alternative

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

BikeHike alternative

Post by ootini »

Hi. I really like the BikeHike course creator website, but there's an issue with the API key at the minute, so it's knackered.
Does anyone know of anything similar available anywhere?
Thanks
ootini

Re: BikeHike alternative

Post by ootini »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:45 pm Thread here

viewtopic.php?t=20654
Thanks
ledburner

Re: BikeHike IS BACK ONLINE

Post by ledburner »

ootini wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:31 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:45 pm Thread here

viewtopic.php?t=20654
Thanks
bikehike.Co.uk appears to be on line againo.o but I don't know what it was like before. there is a small window with 25k/50k OS mapping and a general ok map using osm mapping :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Re: BikeHike alternative

Post by whitestone »

That's pretty much what it was before, you can switch the two around using the "Toggle map sizes" link.

Ridewithgps now has some basic surface info when you map a route. I sort of noticed it a couple of weeks ago when planning routes for our trip to Scotland but didn't think much about it as it's a while since I used RWGPS. There's a short piece on bikepacking.com about it - https://bikepacking.com/news/ride-with- ... ace-types/. That article comments about the accuracy of this feature noting that RWGPS like many such services gets its data from OSM and that if it's incorrect it's up to the general public to correct it. There were some bits of our Ben Wyvis loop marked as being road when they were actually forestry track so I've been and corrected them, about two minutes' work on my part. RWGPS will pick those changes up in a couple of weeks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry