Buffalo bags.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Buffalo bags.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stumbling round the internet last night I came across a Buffalo 'summer' sleeping bag. I've seen Buffalo bags before but only really heavy / bulky winter versions. Anyway, the summer one has a Pertex outer shell which is windproof to 50mph and will keep the majority of damp and light rain out. The insulation is in the form of a fibrepile lining which isn't effected by moisture ... you can sleep in them with wet clothes if you really wanted / had to.

The summer version weighs about 800g and is meant to be good down to about +5.

Has anyone seen or tried one? I'm just thinking that much of the time a bivvy bag wouldn't be required, there's no worries about keeping it dry or trying to air it out during the day ... oh, you can just stick it in the washing machine too. Might just be the job for true 'cowboy' camping ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Re: Buffalo bags.

Post by Zippy »

I like the sound of this!
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I have the winter version, its great, warm, windproof, negates the need to use a n under quilt in a hammock, but it is a very acquired thing to sleep in, the fibre pile feels quite weird and its not really 'snugly' because there is no loft
As far as weight go's, mine (the 4s outer) is not very heavy (1250g) but it is very bulky, and having seen the lightweight version, it is also very bulky, it just doesn't weigh very much
As to using it without a bivi bag, I wouldn't, the pertex is quite fragile, and not very water resistant, and whilst it will keep you warm when it gets wet, it is not what you would call pleasant :-P

All that being said, it is still my fowl weather bag because my version has a zip down the front of the hood to keep the weather out without having to do up the hood of the (less breathable) hunka
Any more questions I will try to answer
Hope this helps
Ben
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I used a summer Buffalo bag for 3 months in the trot with work a (long) while back. Where I was there wasn't a real problem with damp but it did go down to -2 or so at night and I was never cold (I do carry a bit of my own spare insulation though!)
When I did get wet you could just get in and still be warm - and usually dry in the morning - I never felt snug as I do in my PHD bag but I was always OK.
TBH I think they are ideal bivi sleeping bags - if I hadn't sold mine I'd sill be using it - the fact that you can get away without a biv bags helps keep the weight down though I suppose bulk may be an issue.
Out of interest - where did you find them for sale?
Last edited by Stevemorg on Sat May 18, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest - where did you find them for sale?
Cotswolds
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Tempting - especially with a 20% discount!
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'm a big fan of Buffalo tops and tried a loose fleece liner inside my bivi bag last Sept, a cool Autumn night and it was ok, not cosy but not a bad night's sleep. 450-500g for the liner I used, so 800g for a buffalo all in one isn't too bad.