Bamford Clough: green roads, permitted byways and what's taken to keep em open

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Bamford Clough: green roads, permitted byways and what's taken to keep em open

Post by redefined_cycles »

This might not interest many, but recently a mate of mine sent me a message that Bamford Clough had been cleaned up and tamac'd. What's that I asked, and upon investigation realised it's this little beauty in the Peaks.

Anyway, so my initial questioning and investigation, had him tell me that he'd read it in Road.cc, sending me this twitter link https://twitter.com/geckobike/status/14 ... 8978965507

Okay, so it must be clwan enough that a road bike attempt could at leaat be made up it... maybe. So I asked Paul on Strava as he looks to have walked up it earlier this year. He tells me tht it's only been cleaned upat the top 3rd but he'll goan inveatigate at some point. Obviously one wouldn't wanna go and attempt some expensive chest physio up it with a road bike when an mtb with extreme negative ratio gearing was the order of the day.

This led me to check it out further and found that it's classed as a green road by the trail riding motor bike chappies and that they spend alot of timw and effort trying to kewp thwse sorts of roads open for the motor vehicles (that can attempt a 35% climb or deacent) to keep enjoying.

Here it is and thought to share... 'green roads'... further reading/info warranted: https://www.trf.org.uk/official-green-road/
redefined_cycles

Re: Bamford Clough: green roads, permitted byways and what's taken to keep em open

More of their conservation projects here. Whats legends and maybe without em we'd have a few more tussocky pices of muck to wade through. I dunno for sure but quite poasibly...

https://www.trf.org.uk/conservation/
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bamford Clough: green roads, permitted byways and what's taken to keep em open

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Repairs like this Shaf if undertaken properly and sympathetically can be good but they're usually required due to over-use or use by the type of vehicles they were never intended for ... whereas, the ' tussocky pieces of muck' you speak of have generally become that from under-use. I'd also consider that here (and perhaps other places too) many 'old roads' have been left totally impassable due to use by vehicles which may have legal access (although certainly not in all cases) but which again, the road wasn't ever intended to carry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Good point Stu, I never thought of it like that. Certainly seem to be doing some good work in keeping roads open 'rideable' are v useful to the mtb community. They talk about 'green roads'... Is this just simply public byways or is there alot more to it... I wonder :smile:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I pushed up there once, Strava tells me my average speed was 1.8kmh. Surprised it's that much TBH.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

"Green roads" don't have a legal definition, it's just a general term for those grassy (muddy?) lanes that didn't get tarmacked over during the 1930s. Some are BOATs, some are plain bridleways, some don't have any public access, a few might be "unclassified roads" which the local highways authority have a duty to maintain. There's no rhyme or reason as to how any particular lane is classified.

Our access lane (adopted by the county highways) continues as a BW/BOAT, the local trail riders use it once a month or so just to ensure it doesn't lose its status. It doesn't really lead anywhere other than connect a lane on one side of the valley with that on the other. Unfortunately it was marked on SatNav maps as a road so we'd get people trying to cut through to the village a couple of km away before realising that their £50k SUV couldn't cope with wet mud on a 20% slope :lol: (I updated OSM and once the updates propagated through we've had very few)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob...

BOAT =

Landslide, if you've done 1.8kph up it and Paul did about 1mph up it... Then its more than likely, still unrideable by myself. Paul is probably right in thinking it's only the top half thats been cleaned and tarmac'd (and I doubt I could ride up a 35% anyway if it was smooth and grippy :sad: ).

Still, interesting work these motorbike/trail bikes folks do :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BOAT = Bridleway Open to All Traffic
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Still, interesting work these motorbike/trail bikes folks do.
I'm not sure it'll be entirely down to them. There are many user groups (ramblers, horse riders, MTB advocacy, Cycling UK etc.) who are working on preservation of access/RoWs.
psling

Post by psling »

whitestone wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 am BOAT = Bridleway Open to All Traffic
Byway Open to All Traffic. A Byway is a Right of Way (rather than a Highway) that allows motorised vehicle use. A Restricted Byway has had the motorised vehicle status removed (so is pretty much a Bridleway in all but name). A lot of these used to be known as RUPPs - Road Used as a Public Path - before the Countryside & Rights of Way Act. Like Bob says, Green Lane is just a commonly used name for an unsurfaced route.
The Trail Riders Federation have done a lot over the years to keep routes open, as have the Byways & Bridleways Trust. They are mostly our friends! :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

BOAT = Bit off a tractor
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 pm BOAT = Bit off a tractor
miserable land owners defination
Bugger Off All Traffic :o
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ben Veloviewer and Simon Warren (of 100 Climbs fame) have been out measuring the gradient. They reckon it hits 36.5% at its steepest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT5ExSHMCmO/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GCN have been out riding it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5jB3yPzz-8
burty

Post by burty »

I know that one , it's been closed for a while anyway .
It was mainly made from rock slabs and quite dangerous in the wet . Last time I went down there it was bum twitchy , :shock:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:35 am
AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 pm BOAT = Bit off a tractor
miserable land owners defination
Bugger Off All Traffic :o
[Edit] corection
Bugger Off All Townies :o
NickyBoy36

Post by NickyBoy36 »

I live in Sheffield and have ridden down Bamford Clough a few times over the last three or four months. I was speaking to a Bamfordian and he told me what happened with the road. Apparently the 'powers that be' were fed up of trial bikes and off roaders hill climbing up the lane so they wanted a plan to stop them. What they decided to do was tarmac the rough old bridlepath from top to bottom, this happened over a few months and the result is a 35% supersmooth ribbon of tarmac, interspursed with drainage ditches. The lane is still closed because the council or whoever has the power has created a nightmare. Bamford Clough is now designated as a 'quiet lane' to be used by walkers, cyclists and horses. I dont ride a horse but even to a layman it looks very dangerous to go down it (on a horse). Descending on a mountain bike is fine in the summer, however now the leaves are on the tarmac it's like an ice rink, walkers should be OK.
The work has been finished on Bamford Clough for weeks yet it is still 'officially' closed, the only people using it appear to be roadies riding up it and walkers. It is officially closed (according to the local) because its dangerous, I've got to agree with him.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Will post this one here for want of a better place:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/ ... 3364757

"I have no objection to cyclists". That's nice, thank you so much.

But... "I am appalled". Of course you are! Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

" Instead of this constant misplaced enthusiasm that Harrogate Borough Council show for cycling, it would be better if they tried to spend the ratepayers’ money on...blah, blah....."

Enthusiasm for cycling! Shocking! Get back to your driveway-jetwashing, garden-leafblowing, patio-heating, Sunday-afternoon-car-buffing, lawn-manicuring, pink-half-of-the-drainpiping, curtain-twitching, 50-yards-to-the-shops-driving, Daily-Hatemail-reading, Pleasant-Valley-Sundaying (*), umbrage-taking world you old codger.

(*) present company excepted :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:27 pm Seems timely to post this one here for want of a better place:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/ ... 3364757

"I have no objection to cyclists". That's nice, thank you.

"I am appalled". Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

" Instead of this constant misplaced enthusiasm that Harrogate Borough Council show for cycling, it would be better if they tried to spend the ratepayers’ money on...blah, blah....."

Misplaced enthusiasm for cycling! Shocking! Get back to your driveway-jetwashing, garden-leafblowing, patio-heating, Sunday-afternoon-car-buffing, lawn-manicuring, pink-half-of-my-drainpiping, curtain-twitching, 50-yards-to-the-shops-driving, Daily-Hatemail-reading, umbrage-taking world you old codger.
Reg... glad you posted this and the 'garden leaf blowing' reminds me... I've just gone and completed my November BAM and it was amongst fallen autumn leaves in a spot that noone (in their right mind) will have the pleasure of bivying on again (possibly). Let me just pop over to the BAM thread and do my report...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:-O
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 pm 'garden leaf blowing' reminds me... I've just gone and
... Completed the work of the devil. x( :YMDEVIL:

Another waste of precious resources, What's wrong with a brush. Also a lot if needless noise. Our neighbour is at it several hour at a time, day after day...would you have guessed? .. they'll all be land fill in a year or 2 and then then be replaced. so more Internet land fill... :-O
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:37 pm :-O
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 pm 'garden leaf blowing' reminds me... I've just gone and
... Completed the work of the devil. x( :YMDEVIL:

Another waste of precious resources, What's wrong with a brush. Also a lot if needless noise. Our neighbour is at it several hour at a time, day after day...would you have guessed? .. they'll all be land fill in a year or 2 and then then be replaced. so more Internet land fill... :-O
What's ironic here of course is we're ranting against some mad Harrogater ranting :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

I think Shaf was intimating that the leaf blowing bit reminded him of autumn leaves not that he actually indulges in that futile, and as you say wasteful, endeavour himself. Or does he? :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ridiculous thread digression #423 logged. May as well double-down (900fp) on it.... pink half of the drainpipe?.....

You talking to me across the fence
Of common sense
How your tomato plant will win a prize,
won't that be nice,
And by the way, how's your wife?
Your holidays were spent in Spain
You went by plane
You'll go again

Have you seen me bullfight poster on the wall?
Do you know the happy memory it recalls?
Here's a photograph of me and my son, Ted
That's me cousin with his hanky on his head!
We booked in at our hotel just after two
And met a family from Bradford that we knew

Oooh, I love that melody-ah! Burp!

My pink half of the drainpipe
Separates next door from me
Oh, Mama!
Belongs to me

Rodney's main saxaphone solo, as promised

Semidetache-ed, ah!
Oh, Mama!
Belongs to moi

I have a sister in Toronto who's a nurse
And I've had a bit of bother laying turf
It's life, not books, that taught me all I've learned
Whoops, nip in the oven my rice pudding's getting burnt!
Have you seen the new attachment on me drill?
I must have the cat put down, ‘cause he's ill

Hey, neighbour!

I may paint it blue
Keeps me safe from
you!

I'm a wobbly jelly, you're a pink blancmange
I'm a sherry trifle, you're a chocolate sponge
Your dad wears a paper hat, mine inflates balloons
Whoops! Boodly boop! Pop! Here comes a spoon!

My pink half of the drainpipe...
Separates me from the incredibly fascinating story of your life and every day to day event in all its minute and tedious attention to detail and was it a Thursday or a Wednesday or oh no it wasn't though oh who cares anyway because I do not so Norman if you're normal I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head.

SO THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!
Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Wh-what? Oh, er, yes nurse, I'll come quietly.

Green Lanes was it? Ok then, time for a competition methinks. "The highest concentration of green lanes in one area". Here's Reg's vote, just down the road from here and a regular haunt:

Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:04 pm I think Shaf was intimating that the leaf blowing bit reminded him of autumn leaves not that he actually indulges in that futile, and as you say wasteful, endeavour himself. Or does he? :wink: .
That's right Reg... I slept amongst the autumn leaves (and rats I imagine) for this here Bivy just 4 miles from Kings Cross station... leaves pics in that there thread :-bd