Cold at night

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

UnderTheRadars

Cold at night

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I like being cool when I sleep at home, even in the depths of winter I have my bedroom window at the very least cracked open (lightweight duvet and sleep in my unmentionables) However when I’m camping/bikepacking I always wake up feeling cold during the night (even last night) and have a crap nights sleep.
Anyone else the same? I assume it’s due to my sleeping mat having no thermal properties (Alpkit Numo) it’s just annoying that I like being cold at home yet causes issues when I’m under the stars, is splurging some money on another mat going to solve it?
TheBrownDog

Re: Cold at night

Post by TheBrownDog »

Yep. You need an insulated mat. It will solve this problem. And yes it’ll cost you.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure the two are comparable really. You'd probably wake up cold at home too if you weren't sleeping on a 6" thick heavily insulated mattress? Insulation below you is generally much more important than insulation above when sleeping in a ditch :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Numo weighs 350g, an insulated Exped Synmat weighs 365g. Very similar packed size as well. Not even a contest.

My wife's used a Synmat at -16C in the Arctic, way below it's claimed rating.

Your biggest problem (apart from the cost) will be getting hold of one. Having had a standard width and now a wide version I'd look for a wide model, feels much comfier and without the "perched" feeling.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Yeah will want a wide version, even for my svelte frame the numo is bit too narrow

These last couple of nights have made me realise how important that is Stu, normally in colder months I just shrug it off and put it down to the conditions more so than my mat, wrong!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm exactly the same.

+1 for a lovely insulated mat.

No now using the Exped Synmat in wide :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Well as I missed out on Stu’s Alpkit tent in the classifieds my funds can now go to a new mat. Will have a good search for one when have better phone signal as currently in the wilds of the Shropshire hills
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 pm Your biggest problem will be getting hold of one.
Yep. Hen's teeth.

There's a Hyperlite normal width one here, 2 left: https://www.trailblazeroutdoors.co.uk/o ... 4NEALw_wcB

Ultralite wide/long: https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Exped-Syn ... 8uEALw_wcB

Or splash out on a Winterlite wide/long: https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Exped-Syn ... jbEALw_wcB

Ker-ching... but what price sweet dreams?
Last edited by RIP on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah, there is a Hyperlite long/wide around too: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter ... e-EALw_wcB
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Or....
https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk ... 32EALw_wcB

Mines great - a bit narrow but fine if you don't inflate it too hard and always been warm. I think they do a wider version too.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I got an Exped Synmat ul LW from outdoorgb a couple of months ago for £105, just checked and they only have the small version left now.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Numos are a bit pants. Had one, used it, got a proper mat, got decent sleep and kept warm, sold Numo.

Good riddance 😁
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

There is a small chance that I’ll be selling a Synmat in the near future because I don’t really like it.
I don’t sleep so well on it. It’s too thick, inflating it with the bag thing is a pita and it’s just not that comfy.
Having not used one for a few years I used my Thermarest Prolite recently and slept like a baby. It’s thin so I only need a couple of bits of clothes as a pillow, it inflates with a couple of good breathes (self inflating - who are you kidding!) and I find them very comfortable.
The full length is a bit heavier/bulkier than the Synmat but still fits in the bar roll fine and my 3/4 is lighter and about the same volume.
Why doesn’t anyone else appear to use them anymore - is it just the weight thing?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 pm Why doesn’t anyone else appear to use them anymore - is it just the weight thing?
They are nowhere near as warm or, in my experience, as comfy.

I still have a Prolite. It fits into the base of my packraft really well as both an insulator and to add some rigidity. Camping with the packraft, in decent weather, I'd still use the Prolite. Maybe.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 pm I don’t sleep so well on it. It’s too thick, inflating it with the bag thing is a pita and it’s just not that comfy.

Why doesn’t anyone else appear to use them anymore - is it just the weight thing?
IME (N=1 and all that) the lack of comfort could be two things.
  • it's over-inflated. I find it best to inflate fully then let some air out. Hard to say how much but the mat wants to start being "squishy" but still be firm. I started doing this to protect the inner welds but it also makes it a lot comfier.
  • it's too narrow. I had a standard width and even with the above technique I felt very perched, with a constant feeling of about to roll off. (possibly related to your "too thick" observation) I've now a wider model and it's much more like laying on a bed.
Inflating the mat with the bag is fine, I'd rather use that than inflating by mouth, which I did for a month or two before getting the inflator bag.

I have experienced your "too thick" point: in a TerraNova Lasercomp tent. The mat took up a large part of the already minimal volume and I might as well have been in a hooped bivy. Also standard sized bivy bags are too small to get mat, bag and me inside, I need ones sized like the Alpkit Hunka XL.

I've a Thermarest self-inflating mat, I don't think I've used it in over ten years. Prior to getting the Exped I'd actually prefer the CCF based Ridgerest. Just personal choice.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:51 am
lune ranger wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 pm I don’t sleep so well on it. It’s too thick, inflating it with the bag thing is a pita and it’s just not that comfy.

IME (N=1 and all that) the lack of comfort could be two things.
  • it's over-inflated. I find it best to inflate fully then let some air out. Hard to say how much but the mat wants to start being "squishy" but still be firm. I started doing this to protect the inner welds but it also makes it a lot comfier.
  • it's too narrow. I had a standard width and even with the above technique I felt very perched, with a constant feeling of about to roll off. (possibly related to your "too thick" observation) I've now a wider model and it's much more like laying on a bed.
Inflating the mat with the bag is fine, I'd rather use that than inflating by mouth, which I did for a month or two before getting the inflator bag.

I have experienced your "too thick" point: in a TerraNova Lasercomp tent. The mat took up a large part of the already minimal volume and I might as well have been in a hooped bivy. Also standard sized bivy bags are too small to get mat, bag and me inside, I need ones sized like the Alpkit Hunka XL.

I've a Thermarest self-inflating mat, I don't think I've used it in over ten years. Prior to getting the Exped I'd actually prefer the CCF based Ridgerest. Just personal choice.
I’ll certainly try less air, I do have a tendency to inflate it as much as possible.
The thickness (narrowness?) thing won’t go away though. As well as pushing you towards the roof of your shelter - as described - it means I need a pillow of some sort and this is a big part of the problem. The Synmat I have is not quite full length for an 188cm person. I’ve tried 3 inflatable pillows (under inflated as well) and don’t like any. With the proper thermarest my jacket and riding clothes do the trick nicely.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:30 am I’ve tried 3 inflatable pillows (under inflated as well) and don’t like any. With the proper thermarest my jacket and riding clothes do the trick nicely.
I bought an Exped pillow pump after I asked about pillows a while back; it's been variable, as getting the inflation correct is hit and miss. You could allways try something like the Sierra Design DriDown Pillow, which was recommended...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

K1100T wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am
lune ranger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:30 am I’ve tried 3 inflatable pillows (under inflated as well) and don’t like any. With the proper thermarest my jacket and riding clothes do the trick nicely.
I bought an Exped pillow pump after I asked about pillows a while back; it's been variable, as getting the inflation correct is hit and miss. You could allways try something like the Sierra Design DriDown Pillow, which was recommended...
I was tempted by the Sierra Design pillow but never see any second hand. I have a lovely old Thermarest pillow that I would take on an extended trip but it’s way to bulky for an overnight jolly.
I also don’t really want to buy myself out of a situation when I already have kit that ‘will do’.
I’ll give the Synmat a few more tries with less gas if I still don’t like it I can sell it on and make use of my perfectly comfortable and warm Prolite’s.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just a thought; if getting a pillow tall enough to raise your head while you're sleeping on the mat is an issue, would isliding down the may a bit and putting something under your feet instead be worth trying? Then you'd have the pillow on the mat.

It's not a problem I have (172cm) so just a suggestion.

As for inflation pressure, I also prevent over-filling but it tends to lose pressure in winter anyway once it's in contact with the ground.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Thanks for the info and links above. With my limited googling I’ve seen that some of the model names are slightly different to those listed on the exped website, am I right to assume the ‘7’ just refers to the thickness of the mat? One other question (that really can wait until I have better signal so I can search) would a LW fit inside an Alpkit hunka XL?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Never had any issues blowing up my synmat with the stuffsack/schnozzle - usually only takes 4 refills and it's up, I think it's amazing!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

am I right to assume the ‘7’ just refers to the thickness of the mat?
Yes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:19 am Thanks for the info and links above. With my limited googling I’ve seen that some of the model names are slightly different to those listed on the exped website, am I right to assume the ‘7’ just refers to the thickness of the mat? One other question (that really can wait until I have better signal so I can search) would a LW fit inside whether it does or not. Alpkit hunka XL?
Yes, the 7 etc is the nominal thickness in centimetres.

From memory the wide models are about 8cm wider than the standard versions.

I can check tonight about whether an LW fits inside a Hunka XL unless someone else confirms or not.
atk

Post by atk »

Been a restock of Exped mats at ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk today.

Wish I'd bought the wide version the first time round. Lot cheaper back then :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:43 pm Numos are a bit pants. Had one, used it, got a proper mat, got decent sleep and kept warm, sold Numo.

Good riddance 😁
Yeah, dreadful things. I had one of the originals with a few wafts of down in the middle baffles. Tried to sell it on here but folks are wise. We took it to Colorado two years ago and used it as a raft for the kids to float down a few streams. They destroyed it on a few sharp rocks and I really didn't care.
I'm just going outside ...