What not-gravel 650B tyres...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

What not-gravel 650B tyres...?

Post by Boab »

I've been pondering a lot recently about getting a second wheelset for my NS Bikes RAG+. Mostly to get a bit of extra cush from higher volume tyres, as a way to soak up the horse hoof clatter. I have one eye on the BB200 though, and something with a bit more traction than a 700x42c out back is probably a good plan. My gravel bike can take 27.5" wheels, with clearance for either 2.1" or 2.2" tyres; depending on which bit of the same webpage you read. Having read various other threads, it would appear that the Vittoria Barzo / Mezcal and Bontrager XR3 / XR2 combos are quite highly thought of; one comes in 2.1" and the other in 2.2" flavours so both might be doable.

I'd mentally plumped for the Vittoria combo, as the wheels I have in mind are 25mm internal with, and I suppose I should leave a smidge of room for mud clearance. However, it would appear that finding Barzo and Mezcal in 27.5" x 2.1" Tubeless TNT flavour is nigh on impossible, so firstly, does anyone know of anywhere that has stock of either...? Secondly, does anyone have any other recommendations of XC tyre combos for gravel bikes...?

Worst case scenario, I could always chuck some WTB Sendero's on, but was trying to find the biggest I could get away with...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What not-gravel 650B tyres...?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much room do you have up front? I wouldn't hesitate to fit a larger front tyre if I had the option (thinking BB200).
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:44 am How much room do you have up front? I wouldn't hesitate to fit a larger front tyre if I had the option (thinking BB200).
I'll have to go and measure the space in the fork to find out. Some chap did the Atlas Mounting Race last year on a RAG+ running 700x50c WTB Venture tyres, with 1mm clearance; but I think that's at the back where there's a guard mounting point on the rear bridge. Given that NS Bikes state that there's only clearance for 700x45c, I'm not quite sure I want to go that close...
Boab

Post by Boab »

I suddenly remembered that we have a couple of Calibre SAWs in the other shed, that are running on 27.5" x 2.1" rubber. They're 9mm QR though, so no chance of using them, not that I'd want to given their weight. The bike is up on a stand, and the wheel isn't centred in the thru-axle holes, so would probably sit a bit higher in real life; there's also some inner tube taped up there to stop strap rub when running the front harness. The Trek website says that the Bonty tyres are in stock at a LBS that I stop at regularly, so I may have to make a specific trip...

I should probably add a pressure washer to the list of things to buy, but at least it shows that I actually ride my bike...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Has anyone run Continental Cross King 27.5" x 2.2 ProTection...? I generally like Conti tyres, but have never run any of their MTB ones, so don't know how big they turn out. They'd probably be going on 29mm internal width rims, if that makes a difference.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I really like my Thunder Burts on my camino, pretty quick rolling on tarmac etc(especially as they're now quite worn!) but plenty grippy for most gravel/hardpacked estate tracks. would be fine in mud too when new and not so worn out. 27.5/2.1.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've put some WTB ninelines on my Cutthroat, the 650b ones are Beelines. Could also see if getting some Nanos or Rangers in 2.0/2.1 is possible.
jobro

Post by jobro »

I use Maxxi Race TT's in 650b on my Vielo on occasions. Have done both the KAW and Kernow way using this set up and, although I could have easily used a narrower tyre, these roll really well and provided the flint protection I was after. I think the Maxxi Pace might be even quicker with a bit less grip. For the winter I swap out Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge on my Mason ISO for the 700c version of Barzo/Mezcal and I'm sorry you can't find them because they make a great combination when the conditions get really grim.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

I used Continental CrossKing 2.2" on Hunt 650B Adventure Carbon on my Kite for the Dartmoor 200 ITT at the weekend. Never gave any concerns on the rough and rolled well on the smooth :-bd

ImageDartmoor 200 ITT by Andy Wright, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

Roobell7 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 pm I used Continental CrossKing 2.2" on Hunt 650B Adventure Carbon on my Kite for the Dartmoor 200 ITT at the weekend. Never gave any concerns on the rough and rolled well on the smooth :-bd
Thanks Andy*! Don't suppose you could tell me how wide they actually are on those rims...? Supposedly they'll fit my frame and forks, but would be good to know for sure.

* And everyone else who's answered for that matter.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Boab wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:56 pm
Roobell7 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 pm I used Continental CrossKing 2.2" on Hunt 650B Adventure Carbon on my Kite for the Dartmoor 200 ITT at the weekend. Never gave any concerns on the rough and rolled well on the smooth :-bd
Thanks Andy*! Don't suppose you could tell me how wide they actually are on those rims...? Supposedly they'll fit my frame and forks, but would be good to know for sure.

* And everyone else who's answered for that matter.
Bang on the numbers at 25 psi (2.2" / 56mm). 0.5mm more on rear at 30 psi.

Image650B by Andy Wright, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks!
CEB9

Post by CEB9 »

I'm running 2" Continental Race King's on Sonder Alpha 650b rims. Has handled everything I've thrown it down so far (loaded as well) and although they hum on tarmac they don't feel like they're dragging.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Dunno if it's what you are after but I will be on (29") 2.2 Ikons for the BB200 just like most years, and I still have this for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20049

PM me if you fancy it and I can come down further on the price.
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's all rows on a spreadsheet at the moment. Given the lead times for hubs and rims, it looks like I'll be doing the BB200 on 700x42c... 🙈