Own up - who's lost a bike on the M9

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teaman

Re: Own up - who's lost a bike on the M9

Post by Teaman »

Crikey that must have been a shock for the driver....and probably the loser if they were unaware of having lost it.
I've never lost a bike but many years ago we had an old caravan and on getting to our destination, I noticed it was a bit brighter than normal inside. I then discovered we were missing a skylight! My wife kept searching local news worried that it might have caused a serious incident....whilst I made some makeshift repair to keep the weather out for the week 🤔😁
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

There's only the front end left - wonder where the rest ended up?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I once put a mountain bike on the roof to go on holiday. The clamp by the front forks on a roof rack. Just to those about to leave the slip Lane and join the M6, the bike fell over. :shock: We're checked it again 10 minutes before .
dodgy Italian roof rack accessories... before ebay...
It's not something I don't want to repeat :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

boxelder wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:02 pm There's only the front end left - wonder where the rest ended up?
ebay next week... :shock: :o
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

boxelder wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:02 pm There's only the front end left - wonder where the rest ended up?
The article says police believe the bike came off on the opposite carriageway....which begs the question of how much bouncing, being hit by other vehicles etc before making it's final jump across the central reservation and into this poor lady's windscreen. In light of this, one assumes the other bits of the bike might be spread up and down the other lanes/hard shoulder or verges?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Why did I open this thread the day I’m setting off to Ullapoool using my Treefrog for the first time
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:41 pm I once put a mountain bike on the roof to go on holiday. [all the rifgt word not necessarily in the right order]
Hopefully this is now legible...
I once put a mountain bike on the car roofbars to go on a family holiday an old astra mk 2, that was 20 yrs ago. This clamped the front forks down & was an add on for the a roof bars. A simple & perfect solution.... :-bd (Italian brand roof rack accessories... before ebay... )
we [Double] Checked and it was secure at home :-bd , So off we went 10 miles( then checked on route, again,) so next join motorway...
Just as I was about to leave the slip Lane and join the M6, the bike fell over. :shock: it was still facing forwards but still secure by the rear wheel. my wife then ensure her opinon of the situation was received loud and clear :???: :about dodgy foreign roof rack accessories.

The old 2 door astra was a a basic model so did not have the prestigious sun roof. I dread to think of that possible outcome. :roll:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I lost a bike off the roof of my car about 25 years ago. End of a long ride, i an my passenger put our bikes on the roof. I asked the passenger if was happy it was secure. Got a very defiant "yes". Asked again as we went up the slip onto the M3, go an even more forceful "yes". Accelerated onto the motorway, go to 70 and had the horrific sight through the sun roof of the bike lifting, then of it bouncing on the road behind and beyond it a cloud of smoke from the brakes of the car behind. Traffic stopped, retrieved bike, hadnt hit anyone thankfully. Bike, a brand new Orange E2 had a trashed rim and scuffed bar end, no other damage. :oops:

Shoukd have checked myself both bikes were secure. Always now double secure my bikes with additional straps and never get too close to a car in front carrying a bike :|
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

My bike came off the roof coming out of Peebles. It had started to absolutely bucket down just as I was putting the bikes on the roof after a Glentress visit. In my hurry to pack up I’d missed that I hadn’t cinched up the wheel straps, I’ve done this a hundred times before and have always double checked the bikes are secure before driving off.

Luckily nobody was hurt, just a badly buckled back wheel, bent mech hanger and a smashed bell.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Not a whole thing but the front wheel came off a bike on a car rack I was following, I had the roof down which rapidly lost it's appeal! :o Luckily it bounced away over the central reservation missing all the other cars too. :lol: