Flats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Flats

Post by Mart »

no not punctures, flat pedals and I need help
I’ve ridden SPDs for years, but want to try flats for winter so i can use a more outdoor shoe

what have people got? I saw some Shimano XT 8140s or a saint version but didn’t know anything about them
what else should i be considering?
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Flats

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like most things, there's a degree of personal preference. I like a thinish pedal as I find they're usually more stable and less inclined to 'roll over' and I also like replaceable pins so I can alter the level of potential grip should I want. The only Shimano flats I've had were a pair of XC and they were fine, not outstanding though and very similar to DMR V12.

Superstar will likely have something to suit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nukeproof Neutrons/Electrons.

They work well with both "proper" flattie shoes and with all manner of walking/hiking footwear.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Currently running an Aliexpress knockoff of the Raceface Chester. These are nylon bodied but have taken hard rock hits with barely even any cosmetic damage and have sealed bearings + replaceable pins. The shape is comfortable and the grip is immense (I came from SPDs and didn't think a non-spud pedal could grip like this - won't be going back to SPDs). I wear them with hiking shoes which really helps with walking around off the bike and scrambling over rocks etc.

Would recommend the proper Chesters, the Nukeproofs as above, or the HT PA03A which are really well reviewed. Might be worth starting off with a nylon/plastic pedal in the first instance to see if you like them rather than dropping loads on a metal one, and you might find that the nylon ones are perfectly fine for the task at hand like a lot of people do. There's spendier metal ones here though which I'd like if money were no object. https://bikepacking.com/gear/flat-pedal ... kepacking/
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Burgtec composites. Won’t go back to metal pedals again.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jam bo wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:45 pm Burgtec composites. Won’t go back to metal pedals again.
I have Burgtecs on the Fatbike and like them too. IIRC it was a particular colour option that made me by them 😂
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Burgtech and nukeproof here both cheap and good :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm Nukeproof Neutrons/Electrons.
Very much this. I have Nukeproof Electrons on all my bikes. The ones on my OO Fatty are 8 or so years old and still going strong. Great pedals.
I'm just going outside ...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:30 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm Nukeproof Neutrons/Electrons.
Very much this. I have Nukeproof Electrons on all my bikes. The ones on my OO Fatty are 8 or so years old and still going strong. Great pedals.
Another vote for Nukeproofs. I like them so much that I put some on my £5k full sus bike rather than using something blingy. I've had multiple pairs on multiple bikes (only swapped to colour match a new bike, I've never had a pair fail).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Dmr v12s on my two main bikes

Superstar nanos also work pretty good
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've got dmr V12, superstar nano, NS plastic and Odyssey plastic ones. I'd rank them in that order - V12 being the best.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have a few pairs of Gusset Slim Jim pedals and they have been great. The have other models too which look good.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A long term SPD user I dabble with flat pedals from time to time to remind myself how bad they are. Another recommendation for Nukeproof, if you want to spend a bit more then Crank Bros are very good too.
Robster

Post by Robster »

V8 copies, cheap as chips.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

SPD rider who's dabbled with Superstar Nano's, Crank flats, Nukeproof's over the time and went back to spds again here......

Now that I've found Pembree peddles I won't be going back to spd's any time soon.

I now have 3 sets of these
https://pembree.com/d2a/

With only my fast blast 29er and my SS commuter still on spd's
Even got them on my "gravel" bike too

On 5-10's they grip like I've got spd's on but offer so much more foot placements, the secret is in the hollow where the PEMBREE is typed on the peddles and the quality of the pins used too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One thing to remember when swapping to flats is that foot position plays a big part in terms of grip. Moving your foot forwards slightly will generally produce more security and prevent pedal / shin interface.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Good point there - it’s years since I’ve ridden flats
Thanks for the suggestion everyone. Some research to do :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Tam

Post by Tam »

Have been thinking about flats for a while so thanks for the thread and recommendations. Ordered some Neutrons from Tredz with the generic £5 off so they were £27.99 inc postage
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In the vein of thin pedals as mentioned by Stu, if I'm on flats, I like Kona WaWa (Wah Wah?).

Edit - I see they're now on V2 that come in composite and alu flavours.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 pm In the vein of thin pedals as mentioned by Stu, if I'm on flats, I like Kona WaWa (Wah Wah?).

Edit - I see they're now on V2 that come in composite and alu flavours.
These are my favoured pedal, I like the large platform. (WahWah 2's)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

n the vein of thin pedals as mentioned by Stu, if I'm on flats, I like Kona WaWa (Wah Wah?).
My favourites are the On-One 'Park Hill' flats but sadly no longer available.
pushirons

Post by pushirons »

Mart wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:01 pm

what have people got? I saw some Shimano XT 8140s or a saint version but didn’t know anything about them
what else should i be considering?
I’ve been running Saints on two of my bikes for around 6 years now. Never maintained and still going strong. They have a little washers under the pins so you can mess about with the grip they give you. I have the set up long at the front and short at the back, gives a little bit of float to the grip.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

How about an SPD winter shoe?
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Hope yet. I was a clipless user for years but a pair of f20 came on a bike I bought. Amazingly grippy, haven’t gone back to clipless.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 am How about an SPD winter shoe?
i’ve got some but not so good for hike a bike
2924 miles per Gallon