Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Wst Kernow Way complete.

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:48 pm Image

Looks lovely
bog-tastic,
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:48 pm Image

Looks lovely
bog-tastic :???: :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
jameso

Post by jameso »

Those pics are from the recce ride they did for KAW I think?
jameso

Post by jameso »

JackT wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:41 am But CUK are making a very conscious and deliberate move - as part of a wider political campaign about the lack of ROWs for cycling. What do you think? Is this the spirit of the radical ramblers of Winter Hill and Kinder Scout, or a rash move that will all end in tears?
Will read that link later, thanks Jack. On your Q above I have to say my initial reaction as a member is support and glad to see CUK taking that approach. Read an interesting take on footpath cycling on there recently (old article, will look it up and add a link) which only backs up my approach of footpath/bridleway whatever, it's a just path and I'm just on a bike. Just be polite, rule no1. ROW rules don't work as they are.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Just ridden the WKK (most of it) over the past two days. There are some stunning views and trails along parts of it. A lot of the ride follows the Tiners Way and also the Cornish Way. Food/refreshment can be an issue (bad news Mike😉) so it's a case of grab what you can when you can.
Tbh huge amount of HAB ruined it for me and I couldn't be arsed to do any more so sacked it and made my way back to Penzance and got the train home.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They all look very clean implying that any muddy bits are short and spread out - well, either that or the photo was staged to show the worst of the terrain without them actually going over the mud. In wet weather there's sections of NCR 55 going out to gnosall and newport that's as bad or worse than that and that's meant to be rideable by road bikes. No mug dangle though, even from the pannier.cc bloke.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No mug dangle though, even from the pannier.cc bloke.
I believe many previous danglers are now turning their backs on it after discovering first hand, just how poorly drinking from a sh!t covered mug can make you ... no one looks cool covered in puke and with sh!te running down their leg. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I rode this starting on the monday evening after the publication date and met a couple at Marazion who'd already completed it , though they had cut a chunk off to catch a train.
I wanted to like this route having lived in Falmouth 15 years ago but honestley its poor show. Far too high a % of road work and much of that on non cycling friendly roads. I had more close calls in this 150 miles than in the other 2250 miles of my trip around the south of England.
There were several errors in the GPX track including a couple of non existant bits of trail, a locked gate requiring a back-track and detour up a main road ( not CUK's fault obviously), several sections that were a quagmire even after a dry spell and will only get worse if the route becomes popular. Another couple I'd met had been shouted at by a local to " get off their private road".
The section Men-an-Tol is so badly eroded its frankly irresponasible of CUK to include it in the route. Mile after mile of high Cornish hedges blocking the view and turning every blind bend on single track roads into a buttock clencher.
If you want to see a bit of West Cornwall this is not the way to do it. Hike the coastal path. As the saying goes Cornwall is a very ordinary picture in a beautiful frame.
There is some decent riding on the mining trails around Camborne and Redrurh but how many engine houses do you really need to see? Do the King Alfred's Way instead. Its 100 times better.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm I rode this starting on the monday evening after the publication date and met a couple at Marazion who'd already completed it , though they had cut a chunk off to catch a train.
I wanted to like this route having lived in Falmouth 15 years ago but honestley its poor show. Far too high a % of road work and much of that on non cycling friendly roads. I had more close calls in this 150 miles than in the other 2250 miles of my trip around the south of England.
There were several errors in the GPX track including a couple of non existant bits of trail, a locked gate requiring a back-track and detour up a main road ( not CUK's fault obviously), several sections that were a quagmire even after a dry spell and will only get worse if the route becomes popular. Another couple I'd met had been shouted at by a local to " get off their private road".
The section Men-an-Tol is so badly eroded its frankly irresponasible of CUK to include it in the route. Mile after mile of high Cornish hedges blocking the view and turning every blind bend on single track roads into a buttock clencher.
If you want to see a bit of West Cornwall this is not the way to do it. Hike the coastal path. As the saying goes Cornwall is a very ordinary picture in a beautiful frame.
There is some decent riding on the mining trails around Camborne and Redrurh but how many engine houses do you really need to see? Do the King Alfred's Way instead. Its 100 times better.
Glad to hear its not just me then.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I rode most of the western loop a few weeks ago. There are a few nice single track sections, but I honestly found much of the route quite dull. The most scenic parts of Cornwall for me are the SW coastal path, which is almost all footpath with lots of walkers. I didn't have time do the eastern loop, which goes down The Lizard. Maybe that is more interesting.

I did ride one of those sections that Jack mentions near St Just. I encountered walkers who didn't seem bothered, but I can imagine increased bikers in the contentious sections could lead to complaints, especially during peak tourist season.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm Do the King Alfred's Way instead. Its 100 times better.
😂😂
Given what I thought to the KAW the route must be awful.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Asposium wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:27 pm
woodsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm Do the King Alfred's Way instead. Its 100 times better.
😂😂
What's so bad about the KAW?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:05 pm
😂😂
just wasn't for me.
thought cornwall might be an interesting place to visit.
seemingly not.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Asposium wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:57 pm just wasn't for me.
That's fair enough. I think KAW is a good, well-planned out route though, if not for everyone's tastes or preferences.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Routes are always hard ... I've just finalised this years BB300 and I know that there'll be bits some folk love but others don't and there'll be bits no one likes and even a few bits everyone does. Now, magnify the number of riders and you quickly reach a point where you've really no idea whether a route is good or not* :-bd

*obviously it's 'not' because it's a BB300 but you get the idea.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Asposium wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:57 pm
😂😂
just wasn't for me.
seemingly not.
Cornwall is a great place to visit. There are a few places that are choked with tourists like St. Ives and Padstow but there a plenty of places around the coast that the crowds don't get to.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Asposium wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:57 pm
😂😂
just wasn't for me.
seemingly not.
The Southern Way might change your mind. I love that route and have done the Cornwall section 3 times now.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:13 pm

The Southern Way might change your mind. I love that route and have done the Cornwall section 3 times now.
Do you have a link for that Dave. My Google-foo is not comibng up with anything.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Way-L ... /ref=nodl_

Chickenlegs gave me a link to the route which I seem to have lost. Andy?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:17 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Way-L ... /ref=nodl_

I'm guessing this is the first part. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8173628 Subsequent sections seem to be there using the search tool Southern Way 2 etc
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:17 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Way-L ... /ref=nodl_

The Southern Way is a great route, but be warned I also enjoyed King Alfred Way :wink:

https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/gps/
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:18 pm Routes are always hard ... I've just finalised this years BB300 and I know that there'll be bits some folk love but others don't and there'll be bits no one likes and even a few bits everyone does. Now, magnify the number of riders and you quickly reach a point where you've really no idea whether a route is good or not* :-bd

*obviously it's 'not' because it's a BB300 but you get the idea.
Don’t worry Stu, it will be great. I’ll enjoy it -even if the enjoyment is thinking about those others who will have to suffer it😃