Spearfish owners - bearing question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Spearfish owners - bearing question

Post by Al »

I know I few of you also have the original spearfish circa 2012 ish.
I’ve noticed some play in the rear triangle and suspect the pivot close to the bb is the issue.
Before I start dismantling is bearing replacement a simple job of tapping out what’s in there and sourcing standard sized bearings, or am I about to disappear down a rabbit hole of impossible to find parts and other woes??

Cheers
sean_iow

Re: Spearfish owners - bearing question

Post by sean_iow »

I had no issues getting bearings for mine (2012) and I'm pretty sure those were the ones I replaced. I had all the bearings out to paint the frame but some were ok so put them back.

I bought proper bearing press tools as didn't want to just hammer them using sockets. The tools were good value, made the job easy. I only bought the spacer thingys and just used some threaded bar and nuts. I'll see if I can find a link.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/BPET-ADAPTOR.html

I bought kits 2 and 5 but you'd only need one kit if just doing the main pivot. Best to double check the numbers.
Al

Post by Al »

That’s great thanks Sean.

I might limp on with it for a couple more rides while the weather is decent then strip it down and have a look. I don’t tend to ride it much once everything gets really muddy because of the comedy rear tyre clearance.

A respray is an interesting idea - mines have a pretty hard life and has some epic bag and cable rub before I even owned it.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Make sure you get the Enduro version with the dust seal.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

More bearing tool options here. Simple and cheap.

https://www.bearingprotools.com/
Al

Post by Al »

Cheers for the replies - was very simple to remove them with a home made bearing puller, managed to decipher the tiny writing and just order ordered some shiny new ones :-bd

Still thinking about that respray though…
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

What finish have you got at the moment, mine was black anodised. Brought it like that as a frame, well loved (and a HT550 veteran) but showing the signs of age.

I had to get it media blasted to be able to get the paint to adhere.

Al

Post by Al »

It’s the original paint job. I bought it from Iain Fitz who had given it a pretty hard life. The cable rub is alarmingly deep in places but I try not to think about it :shock:
91195B7D-2543-43E6-B59E-C90F995CA031.jpeg
91195B7D-2543-43E6-B59E-C90F995CA031.jpeg (141.8 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

This made me check mine
Should there be a tiny amount of play in the split pivot ( where bolt through is ) or is this bearing play ? It's only small like some cup and comes need nipping up . It's barely noticeable and it's not the wheel (!swapped it to be certain)!
Ta
Al

Post by Al »

Mines the older non split pivot version so can’t help. There was definitely creaking and play in mine at the main pivot but haven’t touched the upper linkage part.
Al

Post by Al »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 pm What finish have you got at the moment, mine was black anodised. Brought it like that as a frame, well loved (and a HT550 veteran) but showing the signs of age.

I had to get it media blasted to be able to get the paint to adhere.

Just noticed the second bottle cage! Rivnuts??
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Al wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 am Just noticed the second bottle cage! Rivnuts??
Yep, I drilled it for both of those cages as you also need to move the one on the downtube to get 2 in. Used rivnuts but also epoxy as I put them in to make sure they don't rotate, hopefully. I only use 500ml bottles so not much more capacity than the original which took a 750ml but I can have 2 different drinks.

I could get a 750 in the rear one but not the front as there's a small frame bag up front now. Can't get the rear bottle out with the front in place so it would be a pain if they were different sizes.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good move on that Sean, it's one of the few failings of the earlier Spearfish models.