Anyone using a gas stove for WRT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushbikemike

Anyone using a gas stove for WRT

Post by pushbikemike »

Weighed out my meths for the WRT and it was heavier than a little gas cartridge and my ti stove. It got me wondering. What stove are you taking?
johnnystorm

Re: Anyone using a gas stove for WRT

Post by johnnystorm »

Jetboil for me.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

MSR pocket rocket, pan is an aluminium cup thingy and some gas
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

How much meths were you taking?
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

MSR pocket rocket, I just like the sound in a morning as it boils water for that first brew of the day :D
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:How much meths were you taking?
260ml in 2 bottles. The 200ml bottle and meths weighs more than gas canister.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I can't find my ti stove. So looks like it'll be meths. ;)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Either a jet boil, or a mini trangia, not sure yet
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

pushbikemike wrote:
Yeah I'm not convinced it really works out lighter for more than a night. what I don't like with gas is all the half used canisters and even when empty they are non recycleable
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

how many minutes heating time has you 200ml meth got versus the gas canister, if i remmber this correctly a reguler size fuel canister provide about 80mins cook time given the right conditions, is this something any one is weighing up when selcting stove fo there kit? Just out curiousty
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:
pushbikemike wrote:
Yeah I'm not convinced it really works out lighter for more than a night. what I don't like with gas is all the half used canisters and even when empty they are non recycleable
Same for me.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

MM-on-POINT wrote:how many minutes heating time has you 200ml meth got versus the gas canister, if i remmber this correctly a reguler size fuel canister provide about 80mins cook time given the right conditions, is this something any one is weighing up when selcting stove fo there kit? Just out curiousty
Home made stove (pika style pop can stove) gets 15 min burn time for 20 ml meth.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I'm biased

I think it's very much horses for courses, my usual meths set up weighs just over 160g inc enough fuel for 2 nights. The stove, windshield and spoon all packs down into my 450ml mug which is something I couldn't do with gas. I also like the quietness and simpleness you get with meths, nothing to break, wear or clog up. Obviously even the most powerful meths burner can't match a fairly cheap/crappy gas stove for output and speed but I'm never in a great rush so it doesn't become a problem.

If you use a Trangia or copy then I can fully understand why meths seems like a slow, heavy option ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Primus gas stove here...

Si
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

The stove I would take on any of my trips BOILS down to what I am doing on said adveture if i was riding until I had to stop and eat I would like my msr with me for quick and efficient cook, but it is bulky.

On my next outing in a fortnight I am taking a cat stove for fun as that trip is about a bit bikeing and finesseing my camp set up with new gear (more a educational trip for my friend who is coming aswesll)

On long distant mulitday trips I would take esbit blocks and a fast powerfull meths stove that would guzzel up most of my meths up, this gives me a balence of a quick cook for stops with the meths and a functional lightweigh cook with esbit tabs or others soild fuel I can pick up on route.
Best way is to try as much stoves as you can make of buy cheap and test them out in the garage or garden.

Also spending a bit more on foods like frezze dried stuff means you need less fuel to cook £20 for two big meals and two afters needs 80ml meths in a triangeler stove or 6 14g esbit tabs.
Cous cous and tuna need 20ml meths for 400 ml water as above givening you hot food and a hot drink not as comforting as or calorific as the frezze dried but good for lunch.
I hope this helps
Mike

Post by Mike »

my new jetboil sol ti is vaguely exciting, it will go everywhere with me now!! When i was using it in scotland a small canister was lasting about 4 days and i wasnt scrimping on the cooking either ( and i can consume alot of tea!! ) not long now to go....lets pray for this nice weather to stay with us

Oh yeah and i got the coffee press with it and its posh coffee all the way :D
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

@ yeti i like the look of that one seems to be competing with the new msr 1l reactor.
jet boil wins weight wise might have to go for my first ever jetboil ( I will buy it for the misses for her birthday as she desperatly wants one and il just nick it when I head out in fowl weather) :)

Let me know how it performs in windy conditions and if you need to pair it with a wind shield. Thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

it works fine without the sheild MM, however saying that i always carry a thin sheet of alloy so just use it out of habbit...it boils water in under a min its so fast never used one before im over the moon with it...sounds like a great idea about buying it for the otherhalf!!! I got mine through my gf with her discount so wont say how much i paid for it but it was cheap so couldnt loose :roll: