Hydration vest for bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Hydration vest for bikepacking

Post by lune ranger »

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using a hydration vest as opposed to a hydration pack/Camelbak.
I saw a video of the guy from Bikepacking.com who talked about using one for the Colorado Trail Race.
It looked great with loads of little pockets and whatnots for stashing kit in easily accessible places.
I’ve liked using a waist pack in the past for this but tried to move my water into one on my last trip out and found it uncomfortable.
The hydration vests look great but I wonder if they are sweaty or if they fit well over the sort of layers needed for wet autumn/winter bikepacking in the UK.
Any thoughts?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Re: Hydration vest for bikepacking

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have one that my wife bought me for running. It's a fairly close fit (ideal when running) so it wouldn't fit over thicker layers even if I wanted it to. If you're using a bladder with it then it's as sweaty as a Camlebak etc.

I do see some folk using them in warmer conditions and certainly wouldn't rule it out, it's just that I'd rather use a waist pack and fit bottles, tools etc to the frame to minimise the weight.

Summary: I think you've already highlighted the potential disadvantages.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Henty pack which might suit your requirements ... kind of a cross between bum bag, rucksack and vest.

May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The other thing I was considering was using the yoke from my old PLCE bergan pockets to hold up the waist pack. That’d end up looking like a home brewed version of your Henty Pack Stu.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Swerve ball here ... I've also got a Ribz pack that I keep thinking would be great for colder rides (probably too hot otherwise*) as everything is easily to hand.

*could actually prove useful on really cold rides.

jay91

Post by jay91 »

Decathlon make some trail running vest that aren't too pricey maybe worth a try.

I think Liam g used a salomon vest on the Highland trail this year
Could be wrong though
Trying to ride bikes.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

One of the guys in my bike club rides with a camelbak chase vest, seems pretty decent and he's worn it through the summer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:16 pm Swerve ball here ... I've also got a Ribz pack that I keep thinking would be great for colder rides (probably too hot otherwise*) as everything is easily to hand.

*could actually prove useful on really cold rides.

I'm sure those are part of the kit issued to the dropship (*) combat crew in Aliens....

One of my favourite scenes... featuring my favourite character/actor Ferro/Hiller (**) ... we're in the pipe five by five....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA

(*) called 'Bug Stomper' of course. We'd all like one of those on a midgy evening.

(**) co-piloted by Private, er, Spunkmeyer. Those Americans eh! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got several I use running. They fit over a base layer and waterproof and as they are designed to accommodate a range of body sizes I could loosen the straps and get a mid-layer underneath as well.

Two of mine use hard bottles. There take 2 hands to get in and out, easy to do running but a bit tricky on the bike. One uses soft bottles, getting these in is a tricky (easier now Greg has passed on the secret - see the running thread) and you don't take them out to drink, sort of lean down/lift the strap up, so again not easy on the bike.

The way round these problems is not to try and drink when moving. Off road over here I have to stop to open gates etc. so I could just drink then.

I've not tried them on the bike as I have found a place for my bottles where I can I access them easily, see how much is left in them, keeps the weight low down..... on the frame in cages :wink:

As they are closer fitting than a normal rucksack - to reduce bounce - and don't have a vented back they tend to be sweaty, but running is quite a sweaty activity. At the lower intensity of riding they might not be as bad.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've tried using my running vests on the bike over the years - I don't recommend it! Then again I also don't recommend a bag on your back when MTBing, so take what I say with a handful of salt. I've never used a water bladder with a running vest - sort of ruins the idea of it really, you want to be able to fill and go fast - bottle in stream, run on. Bladder does not help with this. Also, heavier.

- Water bottles on the front throws my balance off way more than on my back. Not quite sure of the why behind it, but it's worse.
- Hard bottles on the front had more of a tendency to pop out.
- It's a PITA to get a drink if your vest uses softflasks - you can bend neck down to drink without removing it - but not on even remotely technical ground.
- The pockets on a vest are no more useful than a decent set of jersey pockets.

I'm a 100% advocate of running vests for running (I need to pee/poo) a lot more when running with a bum bag so avoid them now. Vests on a bike, I've used mainly when using the bike to access more remote Munros to run when I want to be able to ditch a bike with little on it in a ditch somewhere for several hours.

Would I want to ride a long ride with a running vest to carry water....no. I have framebags and waterbottles for that. Less mass on me is a good thing, in all ways. Let the bike do the work.
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ "end of" :grin: . Leave 'em to the dropship combat crew....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Never really understood this business of carrying gallons of water around with you. If there's one thing this country isn't short of it's water - taps in/on most buildings, parks, graveyards; rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, pubs, rain. A superlight 1-pint bottle and a water filter has been sufficient on all my short & long rides for the last five years. TLS.

As Greg says, if one is really honestly that time-constrained, worst-case: stream, scoop, swig, go.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:08 pm Never really understood this business of carrying gallons of water around with you. If there's one thing this country isn't short of it's water - taps in most buildings, parks, graveyards; rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, pubs, rain. A superlight 1-pint bottle and a water filter has been sufficient on all my rides for the last five years. TLS.

As Greg says, if you're really honestly that time-constrained, worst-case: stream, scoop, swig, go.
I don’t disagree with that…. In upland areas I only carry a 700ml or 1L bottle and a filter. I wouldn’t trust any lowland water sources unless I was able to purify them. I mean purify rather than filter so a standard Trailshot, Squeeze, BeFree etc won’t fit the bill.
Yes you can scout for water taps etc but I find that a pain in the arse - much rather ride than skulk around church yards etc. I won’t buy water in bottles.
I’m with Greg on the no backpack thing,I ditched Camelbak wearing years ago. Maybe the logical step is just extra water on the fork legs when needed - I was just wanting to avoid that for some reason.
WSC
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I used one on the Highland Trail this year, mainly for extra liquid and food and really liked it. I've tried mine with the two soft flasks it came with and a bladder. They both have their pros and cons but on balance I probably prefer it with the bladder - you basically have to take your eye off the trail to drink from the flasks when moving which isn't great. I carried my phone/wallet/midge kit/bog roll in the various pockets but it was mainly there to fill with food at resupplies and it worked well for that. I liked being able to jump off the bike and walk into the shop and then get my food stashed away without having to fiddle with any bike bags (apart from a top tube bag refill).

Mine will fit nicely over a jersey but will go over a waterproof with no bother and it's really comfortable. It's made by Ultimate Direction and I don't find it too sweaty, even with a bladder.

All that said, I do find a waist pack more comfortable to wear, but if I need the extra food capacity, especially when doing race resupplies, the vest works really well and was definitely a popular piece of kit on this year's HT.

It's worth trying a few before you buy if you can - the fit seems to change significantly between different makes and bear in mind that when everything is stuffed to the gills all those handy pockets can become quite difficult to access!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see that Pedaled do this. Looks like a running hydration vest ... wonder if it'd get a bit warm?

https://pedaled.com/eu_en/mens-cycling- ... ssey-black

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

my first thought is it not going to be very breathable.. ie sweaty. all over rather than a waist pack side damp patch...
oh iv sold you it by now :???:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I use a vest style pack with bladder in colder months on local rides where it’s cold enough that taking the edge of the chilly water is desirable and there’s enough sheep/cow/buffalo/human hit and miss etc in the water courses for me to take a hard pass thanks. I’ll also use a bladder in a frame bag in similar circumstances.

For reference, I’ve never had a problem using backpacks on any kind when biking. It just doesn’t bother me and I’ll both ride with and without depending on what side of bed I get out of. The only issue I’ve found is on steep descents the pack will ride up, but that’s it.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I’m thinking about a backpack with bladder for the Tour Divide next year. I need to be able to carry 4-6 litres at times and can’t fit it all on the bike. So far the Ultimate Direction ones look best, they’re light and have pockets etc, but I need to find some local suppliers so I can try them out etc. I want it slim fitting so the waterproof goes on over the top (easy on &off and keeps the backpack drier).
As a commuter who uses a rucksack every day I’m used to wearing stuff on my back.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

slarge wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:14 am I’m thinking about a backpack with bladder for the Tour Divide next year. I need to be able to carry 4-6 litres at times and can’t fit it all on the bike. So far the Ultimate Direction ones look best, they’re light and have pockets etc, but I need to find some local suppliers so I can try them out etc. I want it slim fitting so the waterproof goes on over the top (easy on &off and keeps the backpack drier).
As a commuter who uses a rucksack every day I’m used to wearing stuff on my back.
I considered the under a waterproof approach. My main jacket is a Paramo and therefore pretty boxy.
For the TDR I think that would be a great idea - not so much rain. I don’t envisage using one outside of the UK where rain is more of a feature. The simplicity of using all the little pockets would be somewhat hampered by being under a jacket so I don’t think that’s really an option for me.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

if it cold you won't want to stop and faff the vest would keep all at hand do you can get items on the move... which would. work. if it warmer. you would either not be wearing the jacket or have it a bit unzipped. at least that better that taking a back pack off.

sic you need a paramo cargo vest/jacket all in one
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

slarge wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:14 am I’m thinking about a backpack with bladder for the Tour Divide next year. I need to be able to carry 4-6 litres at times and can’t fit it all on the bike. So far the Ultimate Direction ones look best, they’re light and have pockets etc, but I need to find some local suppliers so I can try them out etc. I want it slim fitting so the waterproof goes on over the top (easy on &off and keeps the backpack drier).
Sportspursuit have these two on offer
Attachments
1BDD0CDB-1A6F-4B8F-9D5B-D697624CBC22.jpeg
1BDD0CDB-1A6F-4B8F-9D5B-D697624CBC22.jpeg (120.31 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

If it helps, I've got an Ultimate Direction Ultra Vest 5.0 in medium. I'm 181cm, 70kg and a slim build and it fits me really well. Will snug down over a baselayer/jersey, but will also go over a lightweight waterproof with no bother.