Does it feel like winter everywhere?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Does it feel like winter everywhere?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just here or have the last few days felt very much like the arrival of winter or at least late autumn has arrived early? I find it quite depressing myself.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Does it feel like winter everywhere?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Winter was -14C last time around. It's definitely not that here. Overcast, mizzly, calm. Perfect midge weather. Winter would be preferable.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Wet but 17c here warmer next week though
Trying to ride bikes.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not quite everywhere, we had an early ride as it will be about 30° this afternoon.
This was taken 3km from home.
The evenings are starting to cool off making sleeping easier, my favourite times of year are Spring and Autumn as the weather is nigh on perfect, 20-25° daytime and 12-15° at night.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Definitely a hint of Autumn in the air. But was kipped out last night with the 150 quilt and slightly too warm so plenty summer left I think!
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Overcast and gloomy in the East Midlands. Summer always seems to be one extreme to another in our country, burning hot or miserable...

To be honest, my favourite days are those crisp, bright winter ones. Shame we only see two or three of them a year!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 am Just here or have the last few days felt very much like the arrival of winter or at least late autumn has arrived early? I find it quite depressing myself.
I might be a little lower down and on the coast, but 19 degrees today on what was a very wet ride, so still very much shorts and jersey weather.
So it might feel darker and miserably wet, but not winter for me at least.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Sweating last night in Tyndum, warm and wet.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Grey , breezy, 11c. Still summer here :-bd

Nah, it's definitely feeling autumnal, but the sea's not cooling yet, so that's good.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe it's the dark and damp that's getting to me because you're right - it's not really cold.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yesterday was really humid - I was wringing in sweat just mowing the lawns. Today has been dull with the occasional torrential downpour.

So summer really :lol:

The Hornbeam in next door's garden is beginning to turn which is unusual, might have got stressed as no other trees in the area are turning.

Agree it's been overcast and dull for a few days now but certainly not November mirk.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

august is always shyte weather wise. and then september usually gives us a few weeks of glorious weather.
well i hope so. got a weeks touring in the peak district planned, then 2 weeks up in scotland.
so fingers crossed, my prediction will be a good one................ :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've got a long weekend in Orkney the first weekend of September so I hope so Ton. Hoping to visit a couple of the North isles I've not been too.

Currently heavy drizzle and fog here, looking at the forecast, all the way into Wednesday :cry:
psling

Post by psling »

Spent a couple of days in the Elan Valley area a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how low the water levels were in the reservoirs :shock: It's been a surprisingly dry year!

We talk weather day-to-day and often our memory of the weather is also day-to-day, except in exceptional years... 1976 anyone?

I'm still in shorts and tee, not Autumn yet :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ton

Post by ton »

I'm still in shorts and tee, not Autumn yet :cool:
yeah, me too.
i was out yesterday morning on the canal for a hours pootle. t shirt and shorts and sandals. it was very humid.
i was overtaken by a bloke in a waterproof jacket, full length tights and also neoprene winter overboots. wonder what he wears in winter.......... :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Definitely Autumn in the Pennines. Warm, wet, humid. Greasy mud is back and the trees are just about to turn. Best time of the year in some ways :)
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Sunny (not) Devon was a bit taters yesterday.
Cycled along East Hill to top of Chineway and back and wished I had something warmer to put on.
It was all unzipped jersey and sweat on the way up and maybe time for full finger gloves on the way down.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Certainly feels like autumn here. This morning at work mist lay low over the River Stour, smell of woodsmoke in the air, crows crowing, leaves falling, conkers on the ground, trees full of berries and a chill in the air
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Still waiting for summer, TBH - at least, a summer that coincides with me being off work, having a clear diary, and not having sciatica.
arkay

Post by arkay »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:40 pm Certainly feels like autumn here. This morning at work mist lay low over the River Stour, smell of woodsmoke in the air, crows crowing, leaves falling, conkers on the ground, trees full of berries and a chill in the air
Yes it does seem that autumn has arrived a bit early down here (Hampshire) too. Blackberries and apples already ripe, mushrooms out in abundance and even noticed the holly berries fattening up on my walk in the woods this morning. Seems to be that strange muggy sort of weather where it feels quite chilly when the clouds pass over but as soon as the sun pops through you're sweating again.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well there we go. I've just had to put my bamboo leggings on under my trousers and it's still August.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well there we go. I've just had to put my bamboo leggings on under my trousers and it's still August.
Lovely weekend here :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Reg in leggings in August? Whatever next?

I don't like the heat, but I can say that my tomatoes aren't ripening as they have in the past. Not been warm enough for long enough. Only half the runner beans this year and I'm worried about me 'taters.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:58 pm 'taters.
It's certainly " 'taters " here. Leggings still in place, now had to augment with a fleece!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It's been roasting up here in Scotland (well our bit of Scotland anyway). There was some cloud at times today but it's still very warm and the days preceding that were really hot with no cloud and wall to wall sunshine once the overnight mist had burnt off.