Seam Sealing/Waterproofing a Tent?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Seam Sealing/Waterproofing a Tent?

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've got a new tent.
The instructions say it is best to seam seal and/or waterproof it.

What's that all about then?
Shewie

Re: Seam Sealing/Waterproofing a Tent?

Post by Shewie »

As in how do I seam seam a tent, or why do I need to seal a new tent?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Seam sealing is generally carried out on tents made from silnylon as sealing tape doesn't stick to it. Buy some 'Silnet' and with the tent erected, carefully brush it onto and in to the tent seams. You really don't need much as you're simply trying to seal the stitch holes in the material. Some people find it's easier to apply if first thinned with a little white spirit. Don't go thinking 'the more the merrier' as a thick layer may simply pull off.

However - I've only ever sealed one shelter. Never bothered with the rest and not suffered any leaks. I'd erect it and leave it up in the rain and see what happens first.

Can't really understand the 'waterproof' bit - it's a new tent, so unless it's proper w@nk it should already be waterproof (barring the seams potentially). I'd also just check the seams aren't already taped and that the instructions aren't simply a generic set.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:33 am I've got a new tent.
:-bd. There are loads of types, who'd of guessed?
what, (from) where when.
so what is the model, manufacturrere & supplier if not bought direct. ooh... and spec or a ilnk to the description.
yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:33 am
The instructions say it is best to seam seal and/or waterproof it.
What's that all about then?
some materials can't be seam taped as bearbones normal said. Eg Sil coating (sil nylon or silpoly) , but PU can be taped. *
prepare to geek out to geek out on Nerdwords :ugeek: https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/blogs ... d-coatings
or the short version for technophobes
*SILcone elastomer, PolyUrethane POLYester
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I'd recommend thinning it as it helps it absorb into the fabric/thread rather than just sitting on top, I use a 2:1 white spirits/silicone mix, just done in small batches as it goes off quickly. Applied with a small soft make up brush stolen from the wife, the stiff ones that come with most tent silicone are crap.
Pitch the tent and get some good tension on the seams, if you can't pitch it just do small sections stretched across a knee, like Stu said you're trying to get the solution into the holes and thread and not just painted wherever.

Moisture helps silicone to cure so a humid day can be better than a hot dry one.

Bathroom clear silicone will do just as good a job as the purpose made tent stuff (certainly when mixed, not sure about neat as I've never tried it)
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Difficult to tell but I'd guess it's PU coated Poly. People are talking about waterproofing it which is a little worrying but then again people say all kinds of sh1te on Amazon reviews :wink: If you're worried, just seal the seams but I'd still stick it up and see whether it leaks before going to the trouble.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IME wet thread expands filling the holes they made so they dont really leak
What i do is set it up outdoors spray with water -not a hose straight at it [ i sue the rainlike setting on my hose thingy - but get it proper wet and see if they leak

I have anever needed to do it after doing this test

Waterproofness is usually stated in hydrostatic head- none stated for yours so hard to say how waterproof it is - your link does claim the material is aluminium in which case it should be plenty waterproof :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Ok, I'll give it the shower head setting on the hose and see what happens!

Quite a good tent FWIW! Only £50 Inc delivery
arkay

Post by arkay »

yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:49 am Ok, I'll give it the shower head setting on the hose and see what happens!

Quite a good tent FWIW! Only £50 Inc delivery
You did better than the reviewer who got sent a used one complete with mouldy tissue!

I seem to see this quite a bit on Amazon reviews… even when I was looking at electric toothbrushes some reviewers said they had been sent used ones :???:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Well, left it out in some heavy rain overnight and its bonedry inside so I'll stop worrying and go camping instead
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good man :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

FWIW if anyone is looking at getting one of these tents, then the Lomo extendable bivvy pole (size large - you need approx 125cm) works really well and is only £9 or something.
Also worth getting an extra guy line and attaching to the peak so you can open both front doors fully.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Fitting an extra guy, is easy to do line.
Just get 3mm or 4mm line (or paracord) an alloy slider. A mini Karabiner (Krab) will make it easy to attach & remove.
Line-locs are unreliable in my experience, (unless they are additionally tied off).
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..