Qu. for eTrex users

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Qu. for eTrex users

Post by Rob S »

I've spent a good part of this weekend trying to get to grips with a recently purchased eTrex touch 35.
I installed basecamp and watched some tutorials etc. I didn't get on with it all that well, plus a lot of the comments described basecamp as being unnecessarily complicated and outdated. Are there any satisfied users on here?

Then I had a go using Ride with GPS. This seemed much easier and I got a track on the eTrex ok. I was hoping it would give warnings if a turn was coming up but you have to be a premium user for that, even if I upgraded, the eTrex will only hold 50 cues so on long routes I would have to split them up. If I did split my route up, do you then have to load the next section in manually as you come to the end of the current one?

I have used the RWGPS recommended settings, so I can have the distance to the next turn displayed which helps. If I go off-route there's no alarm though, a warning would be handy if this is possible? How do you use your eTrex, do you bother with turn by turn? Or do you have the screen permanently lit and follow the moving map?

In an ideal world, to maximise battery life, you'd want the screen to 'sleep' on straight sections and then 'wake' to inform you about an upcoming turn. But I'm probably expecting to much.
ScotRoutes

Re: Qu. for eTrex users

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rob S wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:26 pm I've spent a good part of this weekend trying to get to grips with a recently purchased eTrex touch 35.
I installed basecamp and watched some tutorials etc. I didn't get on with it all that well, plus a lot of the comments described basecamp as being unnecessarily complicated and outdated. Are there any satisfied users on here?

Then I had a go using Ride with GPS. This seemed much easier and I got a track on the eTrex ok. I was hoping it would give warnings if a turn was coming up but you have to be a premium user for that, even if I upgraded, the eTrex will only hold 50 cues so on long routes I would have to split them up. If I did split my route up, do you then have to load the next section in manually as you come to the end of the current one?

I have used the RWGPS recommended settings, so I can have the distance to the next turn displayed which helps. If I go off-route there's no alarm though, a warning would be handy if this is possible? How do you use your eTrex, do you bother with turn by turn? Or do you have the screen permanently lit and follow the moving map?

In an ideal world, to maximise battery life, you'd want the screen to 'sleep' on straight sections and then 'wake' to inform you about an upcoming turn. But I'm probably expecting to much.
I use Basecamp. It's fantastic. Really powerful. A great repository/archive. Handles multiple maps, including those on your eTrex.

The "cue" restriction is that you are trying to draw a "Route" which the eTrex then navigates. You can get around this by creating a "Track" instead (the limit with be somewhere in the thousands then). However, you don't get "turn-by-turn", you simply follow the line on the map.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Same here. Basecamp is probably my most used route planning tool for trips abroad.
My library must contain thousands of POI and tracks etc.

Yes, look is from 1999 but not long and software designers will use such designs and call them new :lol:

I guess some people are fustrated simply because they don't take a sec to figure things out and only use a fraction of it possibilities? Given all the options you get I find it dead easy and straightforward.

To add to above post, in some (like basecamp) softwares (also free online ones) you can easily turn a track into a route and vice versa.

A route will be calculated upon the available paths/tracks/road of the map in use, so some attention needed there when converting from a track.

You can have both displayed and as part in one gpx file on basecamp.
If your planned course follows paths/tracks/road of some sorts, you can first create a route, where the line between two dots (mouse clicks) is 'magnetic' and sticks automatically to chosen paths/tracks/road. Once finished drawing the course - a route - you're only two clicks away from converting it into a track if you prefer/need.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I also use Basecamp, a lot.
It really comes into its own, when used with third party maps, such as openfietsmap or talkytoaster maps (I prefer the latter, and they are well worth the modest subscription fee, although there is a free British Isles map)

I much prefer the turn by turn capabilities of routes, Vs the simple follow the line option of tracks, as I don't have to be constantly looking at the device, and can enjoy the ride, more.

The waypoint limit, for routing, can be a pain and it did catch me out once, when I'd forgotten to check how many points were in the route and arrived at my start point to discover that it wouldn't plot the route.
My normal approach to this, is to split the route into parts - before/after lunch, usually - and then manually switch whilst having a break.
Getting into the habit of saving a route and a track onto the device, too, just as a backup.
I'm a bit perplexed as to why this limitation exists though, because the device will reroute you mid-ride, if you deviate sufficiently far from the original plan, so they ought to just be able to route a few waypoints ahead, and update things as you go.

Overall, I'm very happy with mine - particularly because it runs off AA batteries, so replacements can be obtained from anywhere, should the need arise
Misterg

Post by Misterg »

I also use Basecamp and find it dated, but very useful.

I believe you can set the etrex to follow a track, which in turn allows you to set an ‘off course’ alarm - I’ve never bothered though.

One ‘gotcha’ with routes is that the maps in use on Basecamp and the etrex must be identical (not a problem if you’re using the etrex map for basecamp). I’ve had it happen that I was using different versions of OFM between Basecamp and the etrex and the routing on the device was different to the one I thought I’d planned in Basecamp. I only use tracks now.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I use BaseCamp but only because I can’t figure out how to use other online tools - or pay for them. I have the mtb great Britain map loaded on both the etrex and BaseCamp.
Sounds like you are confusing routes and tracks. Easily done and not 100% sure of differences myself. What I do know is that a route will give you turn by turn pings and tracks will not. Routes are power hungry, tracks are not. I still don’t know how to get rid of the blue flags on BaseCamp but it seems to sort itself out on the etrex.
One of the things that tees me off with BaseCamp is the working mode. If you are adding markers or way points and want to move the map you get a point which you then have to erase then switch mode move the map then go back to doing what you were doing. There are hot keys which will switch modes/functions they are worth getting to know.
Go for a ride and use the track generated as an experiment. Upload it, edit it. Cut and splice it. Create a route. Add poi. Delete the original upload and recreate it from the route you created. It is worth persevering and experimenting but if you are anything like me there are functions like reverse track that I can never find because I only use it occasionally.
Keep the etrex free of routes/tracks you are not using. I was out the other day and instead of recording where I was riding it picked up a stored route and started to follow that. Not a problem except it then ran out of battery.
It is highly unlikely that you are going ‘to boldly go’ so search for an existing gpx file and if you can’t find one ask around. The create a track/route is a pain to use much easier to start with an existing gpx and modify it if you need to. A lot of the downloaded gpx files arrive with a lot of additional information some or all of which you may edit out. They also usually have the dreaded blue flags.
There is an online user guide by a user not by Garmin that is worth a read.
https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/
There is also an Australian(?) guy who has a pdf set of instructions but can’t find them right now.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Mariner wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:02 am One of the things that tees me off with BaseCamp is the working mode. If you are adding markers or way points and want to move the map you get a point which you then have to erase then switch mode move the map then go back to doing what you were doing. There are hot keys which will switch modes/functions they are worth getting to know.
Not sure I get what you mean, but here's a solution to the issue I think you have. Stay in the mode (eg. setting waypoints or POI) and simply use the arrow keys (up/down/left/right) on your keyboard to move the map. It's that easy.
Mariner wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:02 amThey also usually have the dreaded blue flags.
?
Sounds like POI as waypoints? I don't know of this in Basecamp.
Are you talking about Google Earth?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Thanks for the replies, Base camp is obviously popular on here so I'll persevere with it.

As regards turn by turn instructions, I guess it's not that big a deal to not have them and navigate by following a line. I think modern sat-navs and Google maps have made us a bit lazy, (or me at least).

I've invested in four rechargeable 2500mAh NiMh. I think I shall need them if the screen is going to be on all the time.

Thanks for the link Mariner, very useful.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

@Rob.S

Another advantage of getting turn by turn routes working, is that you can set the screen to turn off after a minute or so, and it will turn back on, when you're approaching a turn - this makes the batteries last much longer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Another advantage of getting turn by turn routes working, is that you can set the screen to turn off after a minute or so, and it will turn back on, when you're approaching a turn - this makes the batteries last much longer
've invested in four rechargeable 2500mAh NiMh. I think I shall need them if the screen is going to be on all the time.
My screen is set to turn off after 15 seconds. That's long enough for me to look at it and think 'next left and right at the trees'. When i need to look again, I simply tap the screen. Never found any need to have it on for longer and certainly no need to be fed directions turn by turn ... however, I don't have a satnav in the van either :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I tend to plan routes in ViewRanger
Export the GPX from VR
Import to BC
Then move onto a Garmin

As others have said, BC is a nice to place to store "trips"
Easy to store routes, waypoints, even photos
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Have a look at www.plotaroute.com.

£17/year, but having tried a few different apps and sites, I think its the best map plotting tool. Really good routing system, and quick to switch between OS, OSM Trail, Satellite and a few others.

Then when you are done, if you link it with your Garmin Connect account, you can just "star" the route and it will be automagically sent to your Garmin (this works for my Edge 810 and Fenix 5, so I presume it would work for an eTrex too)

They have a free tier that doesn't have OS maps and doesn't have automatic Garmin export if you want to give it a go before paying.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Then when you are done, if you link it with your Garmin Connect account, you can just "star" the route and it will be automagically sent to your Garmin (this works for my Edge 810 and Fenix 5, so I presume it would work for an eTrex too)
Unfortunately not - despite being able to receive all sorts of notifications from your phone (SMS, missed calls, WhatsApp, etc) you cannot send a route from Garmin connect, to a Garmin Etrex. Very perplexing
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

belugabob wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:53 pm
Unfortunately not - despite being able to receive all sorts of notifications from your phone (SMS, missed calls, WhatsApp, etc) you cannot send a route from Garmin connect, to a Garmin Etrex. Very perplexing
Well that's rubbish. Seems like a really odd omission. I guess maybe its because the eTrex comes from their outdoor rather than fitness division?
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Well, I stand corrected.

Open Garmin Express, on your PC
Connect to your Etrex
Open Garmin Connect
Find or create a route
Click on 'Send to device'
Follow the prompts

Pretty sure I got a categorical 'Etrex isn't compatible with sending routes' before - maybe there has been an update
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ok, just found out where my first statement came from.

Open Garmin connect on your phone
Select Training, then course, and choose a course
Select "send to device' from top right menu
'your device does not support courses'

WTAF?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

It sounds like there isn't a right or wrong way to use an Etrex.

I'll have to get aquainted with it properly and find what I prefer. Thanks for all the suggestions though, much appreciated.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

belugabob wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:07 pm WTAF?
You bought a Garmin... you have to roll with these things :roll:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Chrisps wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:46 pm
belugabob wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:07 pm WTAF?
You bought a Garmin... you have to roll with these things :roll:
Yes, and - depending on which Garmin you have -- you get to roll with different things. :lol: