MYOG Seatpack.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

MYOG Seatpack.

Post by Ray Young »

Probably the easiest and most useful of my MYOG projects. Made from an Alpkit 20l airlok extra. Sort of following Alpkit's own MYOG seatpack thread on their own site but I first cut out the base then laid it out flat rotated at 90 degrees to their version so I would have the tabs to each side and a horizontal opening. Not huge in size but it takes my sleeping bag very nicely. I seam sealed the new seam but as it carries my sleeping bag I will take the extra precaution of putting it in an airlock drybag first (which weighs very little). No leg rub and I hardly noticed it was there. I did notice an improvement to the steering with less weight on the bars though.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Ray Young on Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Re: MYOG Seatpack.

Post by Jack »

Hi Ray,

Tidy looking seatpack. :) You couldn't post up the link to the Alpkit guide could you? I've just been looking around their website and I can't seem to locate it.

Cheers, Jack.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Jack, on Google search type in "diy saddlebag alpkit" and it will bring it up. If you want full instructions as to how I did it I'm happy to oblige because like I say I did mine a little different.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

It's a faff posting links on my phone - google alpkit diy saddle bag
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray, what's the advantage of mod other than the profile is slightly better? That's never been that much of an issue for me, not really any leg rub with an unmodded bag. The mod loses space
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Jamiep, your right it does lose space. Mine is less work and faff basically and also has less seams to leak.
Last edited by Ray Young on Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Looks very tidy ray. Very impressive.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Looks a neat job - whats stability like without a strap going underneath?
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Those look like really good KISS design principles being applied. http://www.alpkit.com/bikepacking/diy-saddlebag/
Last edited by Adrian Brewster on Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Nice one, I think I'd pass the strap right under though to take the strain off the side loops
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

rudedog wrote:Looks a neat job - whats stability like without a strap going underneath?
Moves a bit but not much.
restlessnative wrote:Nice one, I think I'd pass the strap right under though to take the strain off the side loops
I think the side loops are strong enough to cope and a strap running underneath tends to pull the bag closer to your thighs.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

jamiep wrote:Ray, what's the advantage of mod other than the profile is slightly better? That's never been that much of an issue for me, not really any leg rub with an unmodded bag. The mod loses space
Hi Jamie, sorry I misread this earlier. I have tried mounting unmodded 8l bags and was never happy with the result. I just happened to have a 20l bag going spare so thought why not, otherwise it would never get used.