Bar bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Bar bags

Post by fatbikephil »

Just had a squint at this:-
https://bikepacking.com/index/saddlebags/
My ageing sweetroll is falling apart and I've been ruminating over bar bags. I stash shelter and waterproofs in it plus maybe the odd thing like spare gloves, beer and whisky. I'm now wondering if a top loader bag would fit the bill as it should be easier to get in and out of rather than faffing with roll up closures and pulling everything out when you grab what you need.

Most are eye-wateringly expensive apart from the caradice stuff. Then I dragged out my old Nelson saddlebag, ejected the spiders and mice; and lo, it fits on the bars a treat.... It's a bit heavy though.

Whats everyone think?
RIP

Re: Bar bags

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:49 pm a top loader bag ... what's everyone think?

:grin: (obv I'm not grinning about the poor old witch, just Phil being a witch...)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've been looking for something similar for a while, but in a synthetic material.

As you've mentioned they're really expensive, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger at some point.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Al

Post by Al »

I did a similar thing with a super c bag to see what it was like: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19391

Have now used it for a few trips. Not sure it’s quite as stable as the wild cat harness for proper off road and is definitely heavier, but very convenient. Think I’m a convert - fancy the tribulus end over one…..
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

In the past I've used a Carradice lightweight audax modified to take a Klickfix bracket. Not bad, but a bit floppy and faffier than one might expect to get into.
I now have an Ortlieb Handlebar-Pack QR which seems to be a distinct improvement.

The main driver for both is something to fit between the hoods/shifters on my drop bar bike. I don't think I'd use one on a flat bar bike, I'd probably go for my bar roll with an accessory pouch if I needed to have easy access to gubbins.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:28 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:49 pm a top loader bag ... what's everyone think?

:grin: (obv I'm not grinning about the poor old witch, just Phil being a witch...)
Reg I thought I could rely on you as a staunch traditionalist!
I might give it a go. Being on the Jones, the truss fork and loops make for a very stable mount for such a bag, if I can fit it in there. IF it works I might spend some dosh on a lighter one, in the absence of anywhere selling revelate sweetrolls....
atk

Post by atk »

What size sweetroll would you be after? Been thinking about parting ways with mine and going for something with a harness instead.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

atk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm What size sweetroll would you be after? Been thinking about parting ways with mine and going for something with a harness instead.
A 15L one is what I'd need
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 pm Reg I thought I could rely on you as a staunch traditionalist!
Mmm, sorry chap :smile: . I'm sort of a traditional modernist or maybe a modern traditionalist. Like a Fred Dibnah / Elon Musk jekyll and hyde :???: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 pm Reg I thought I could rely on you as a staunch traditionalist!
Mmm, sorry chap :smile: . I'm sort of a traditional modernist or maybe a modern traditionalist. Like a Fred Dibnah / Elon Musk jekyll and hyde :???: .
Does that you mean that you climb cooling towers whilst Tweeting sub standard about cave divers who don’t want your mini submarines? :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

I quite like the idea of a roll top front bag. Easy to get to stuff. I always find I really like the little add on pouches on the front of a bar roll best, normally I leave with it empty and have it there for sandwiches etc.
Guess it depends where you like to keep your most used stuff. Usually the frame bag for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I quite like the idea of a roll top front bag. Easy to get to stuff. I always find I really like the little add on pouches on the front of a bar roll best
I'll often use my Acepac one as a standalone bar bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ditto.

That and a skinny under-TT bag (rather than a full frame triangle size) are the bags I use most on a more "daily" basis.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:00 am
I quite like the idea of a roll top front bag. Easy to get to stuff. I always find I really like the little add on pouches on the front of a bar roll best
I'll often use my Acepac one as a standalone bar bag.
Yep - My Revelate Yakataga makes a good stand-alone bar bag.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

If you do consider a new bar roll type set up I can highly recommend the Acepac stuff that Stu sells. I got the version with the separate dry bag and harness and also got the extra bag that attaches to the front and am really impressed with it all. It's really well thought out with some lovely design touches like a velcro patch that holds the dry bag in place while you attach the straps. The front bag also attaches in a really clever way and allows quick access to stuff you need more frequently and it can be used as a a stand-alone bag for day rides as well (it's 5 litres capacity iirc). Quality is really high as well, I love mine.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Although I've just received a replacement Topeak bar loader (first one fell apart) which was a chrissy pressie from Mum and Dad so anything I get will have to be bodged to allow it to be fitted.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Ive been using an alpkit airlok on the bars for the last 10 years I’ve been bikepacking. For me it still ticks the boxes of being cheap and very lightweight - when my current one wears out, I’ll definitely replace it with the same. Those toploader bags look heavy and expensive in comparison, pretty much the exact opposite of what I want.

I also get that I’m not at all representative of the ‘modern bikepacker’ :grin:
atk

Post by atk »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:43 pm A 15L one is what I'd need
Hmm. I've just dug mine out and it's a medium, but it seems they've gone from 3 sizes to 2. I'll figure it all out and pop it in classifieds in a few days.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

atk wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:43 pm A 15L one is what I'd need
Hmm. I've just dug mine out and it's a medium, but it seems they've gone from 3 sizes to 2. I'll figure it all out and pop it in classifieds in a few days.
Mine is a medium (first generation one) so defo interested.