Saris Bones bike rack - any good?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Saris Bones bike rack - any good?

Post by Shewie »

I normally just chuck my bike in the back of my car but an upcoming trip to the Hebrides has me looking at boot racks. I have a company car which gets changed every 3 years so I'm reluctant to keep buying new roof bars each time, I used to do that in my canoeing days but it's not as cheap as it used to be.

I was looking at the Saris Bones rack yesterday and just wondered if anyone uses one? My current car (Golf mk7) has a little spoiler at the top of the boot lid but it seems you can still use this rack with one. Tow bar and roof rack options are out due to cost but I'm open to any other suggestions.
faustus

Re: Saris Bones bike rack - any good?

Post by faustus »

I have the bones 2, and it's pretty good. Bikes mount solidly as there's a strap for the seat tube as well as the 2 for the top tube. Used it on an older Seat Ibiza quite successfully, and it had a small boot spoiler too. Doesn't really fit the current car though (3rd gen Leon estate), as the bootlid is tight to the shelf of the rear bumper, which is pretty long on my car. Something to watch out for.

However:
- I always used some foam to protect the tubes otherwise there would be a little rubbing, despite rubberised straps
- car needs to be clean before putting the rubber feet on the boot lid/bumper, otherwise some light scratching.
- needs to be enough clearance on the lower lip of the boot lid and interface with rear bumper for the lower strap hooks as above

I guess there's always some niggles with rear racks and how they attach.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

faustus wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm I have the bones 2, and it's pretty good. Bikes mount solidly as there's a strap for the seat tube as well as the 2 for the top tube. Used it on an older Seat Ibiza quite successfully, and it had a small boot spoiler too. Doesn't really fit the current car though (3rd gen Leon estate), as the bootlid is tight to the shelf of the rear bumper, which is pretty long on my car. Something to watch out for.

However:
- I always used some foam to protect the tubes otherwise there would be a little rubbing, despite rubberised straps
- car needs to be clean before putting the rubber feet on the boot lid/bumper, otherwise some light scratching.
- needs to be enough clearance on the lower lip of the boot lid and interface with rear bumper for the lower strap hooks as above

I guess there's always some niggles with rear racks and how they attach.
Thanks for that :-bd

I'll have a look at the gap between tailgate and bumper, what would you say was the minimum required to get the hooks in?

I think one of the vids I saw was a chap with a Seat Leon, or was it a Mazda, but he seemed to be able to open the boot when it was mounted, so the bottom feet were against the boot rather than resting on the bumper. That would be a nice benefit but I think Saris said it's not advised.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

As far as quick and easy boot racks go, I find it actually pretty good. I bought one a few years ago and still have it for 'emergency use' (which still hasn't happened :lol: )

Has been fitted to the back of a 5 series estate, a civic and a 308. Works well and is good value

I've literally had all types of bike carrier (roof, towbar, boot rack, van). If I was looking to hire a car to lob a bike on, I'd have no problem using this. Quick word of warning about the bike you're using though, make sure it fits on the carrier. Some bike shapes don't work so well, you can buy a bar that attaches to stem and seat post to have the bike from. I used one (from Halfords) for my wife's bike. She hasn't ridden it in years so shows how long ago it was!

She has an A3 now and it would easily fit on that. Would be a bit worried about the weight going through a spoiler if the car had one fitted though...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I had the Bones 3 and it was decent. Fitted it to an Audi A6 estate, Mondeo hatchback, and an A3 hatchback, all with spoilers. I suspect you'd get it on almost anything with a bit of determination.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Can't give accurate measurements i'm afraid, but I had a look just now and the main issue is actually that my lower boot lid has a really shallow lip to it (like 10-12mm) so the hooks for the rack don't sit all the way in it, if that makes sense? So you need to check the lower lip of the boot lid...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've just been out for a closer look, I don't think it's going to work. The tailgate is glass right up to the edges with a plastic strip over the top, the only anchor for the side straps is about 60mm of metal near the bottom corner of the window between the glass and the light cluster, but it's heavily curved so not sure how the clips would sit.

pic borrowed from ebay but it shows my conundrum (ignore the arrows, they're not mine either) ..

I wonder if the nice roof rack man at Halfords would have a look before I spend the cash
benp1

Post by benp1 »

On my 5 series the metal hooks (on the side) went straight onto glass. It's a fairly wide anchor and once it's tensioned doesn't really move

There's also an option to have the rack sit on the bumper (bottom arm sits on that) and be pulled into the tailgate, or to be fully supported by the tailgate
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've no personal experience, so only offer this as a suggestion; how about a Seersucker style roof rack? They strike me as pretty universal fit?
rivers

Post by rivers »

We have a 3 bike one for our Kia Picanto. It's a solid rack, and one of the only rear mount rack that has adjustable arms to fit small framed bikes (mine are 46cm). It also can handle my wife's electric bike.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I think it would go on that Golf. There's almost no car it would go on. I used mine on an MX5 for years with three bikes on it sometimes (no idea why that came about since it only had two seats!). Rock solid. Did scratch the paint a little. I made some felt booties to go over the feet which helped.

If I was buying again I would again buy the one that can carry more bikes than you need. Helps put them further away form the car and stops the pedals scratching the paint.
I would also get the one with ratchet straps. Think it would work better.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I had a bones 3 and wouldn't recommend it. It would loosen up by the end of the journey, had marked the car/bike, it obstructs number plates and rear lights which is pretty dangerous, they are a faff to fit bikes to and don't suit all frame designs.

Roof racks/tow bars/van are miles better solutions. The thule roof racks are expensive but they work well and retain their value. My tow bar rack is a 4 bike one but it only ever fits 3 bikes and the quick releases rub on the forks causing damage.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks for all the input guys

I went with the Treefrog Pro in the end after much reading of reviews online

No doubt I'll spend the first few journeys watching my mirrors to make sure it's still attached.