OT: we're in Cromer. What's to do?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

OT: we're in Cromer. What's to do?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Got the kids here, 16 and 18, for five days and we're looking forward to the usual local activities: seal watching, crabbing off the pier, maybe boating on the broads if we have time. And there is the coast path which we will do some walking on. Weather is looking nice too.

But if there's any locals on who have advice on secret gems only locals know about, a must see/do I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks
I'm just going outside ...
Rapideye

Re: OT: we're in Cromer. What's to do?

Post by Rapideye »

Well not so much Secret Gems as such as a lot around here is probably well known.

Lovely coast, of course but I'm sure you're aware of that. Travel east or west for a lot of choice all the way round. Head to Sheringham for a quaint-ish little place by the Sea. Catch a steam train on The Poppy Line which will take you to Holt for a nice place to walk around and for some nice food at Byfords or Kings Head. West Runton for where a mammoth was found and is a spot for finding fossils. Head east to Mundesley for a quiet seaside village, further round is Bacton/Walcot, which has a lovely long beach but maybe not as picturesque imo. Wells-Next-The-Sea and Holkham nearby is very nice, of course, further away but worth it imo. There is also a shack-like seafood place on the way to stop off at but the name escapes me atm.

Other National Trusts - Felbrigg and Blickling, which has a nice walk around it, a nice pub very close by and Aylsham which is also nice enough for something to eat and to spend an hour or so. There is also a narrow gauge railway there that would take you to Wroxham and the Broads with boat hire or paddle boards.

Got your bikes? Head on Weaver's Way and maybe Marriots Way. A fair amount of easy, flat trails. Going in various directions, Wroxham, North Walsham, Reepham, Norwich too.

Bacton wood for a nice walk through woods. Even has a small amount of bike trails.

There are theme parks that you may want to go to...Bewilderwood maybe, Dinosaur Park...assuming your Lads aren't too old for them. Amazona Zoo in Cromer is small but ok but maybe not fantastic. Kart track too in Cromer.

Food? No.1 fish restuarant in Cromer for sit-in or find Mary-Janes which is cheaper and the go-to for locals. Take the food to the pier or sea-front. Drinks in The Gangway for decent beer/craft ales. The Ship Inn in Mundesley for food and cliff-top view from the beer garden. The Gunton Arms is nice but slightly pricier but with a view of deer in the grounds (I'm assuming they are still there).

Norwich reasonably close and can be reached by train. Historic and a nice place to spend the day with Cathedral & castle and lanes for mooching about. Lost of food places and some great pubs.

Have a great time.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Don't forget the wildflower center. It's amazing how good weeds look when done properly, lots to learn although it might be a bit late season for many of the flowers. The gunnera on the driveway are worth going just for the photo opportunity.

http://www.naturalsurroundings.info/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Thanks for that. Some great ideas,
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Dippy the dinosaur is currently in Norwich Cathedral, it's free to get in and the queues aren't crazy despite it being the Summer.

Norwich itself is nice to wander about.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And let's not forget, it's the spiritual home of Sale of the Century ... the quiz of the week.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

At the weekends, Holkham Hall (which is great with kids as next to great beaches and has great free playground and aerial rope course) has food / alcohol trucks and live music and nice to sit or cycle around the grounds, plus it is then a short walk into Wells next the Sea which is a good place for crabbing and fish and chips too.

Blickling Estate isn't far and has kids activities all summer and bike trails.

Hire a boat or canoe hire on the Broads.

Typically i live here, but mind has gone blank! But worth a day in Norwich if the weather is bad, as above got the dinosaur at the cathedral, but nice city to walk about, have an explore for different food stalls in the market, some great thai/ vietnamese foods etc, the castle is worth visiting too.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 am
And let's not forget, it's the spiritual home of Sale of the Century ... the quiz of the week.

And a certain Alan Partridge lives there. I think he's on local radio
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 am

Anglia TV HQ (as was) is but a short walk from the train station for those wishing to pay homage. Just follow the herd of bison rushing out from the "Survival" studio. :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Sale of the Century. That takes me back. In Oz it was hosted by Tony Barber and the indescribably lovely Delvene Delaney, who was, incidentally, married to John "Strop" Cornell, who was Paul Hogan's sidekick in his 1970/80s TV series and who actually directed Hogan in Crocodile Dundee 2. It was awful. Not a patch on the first one.

But I digress. Seals were fun this morning. Not many of them on the beach but the ones hunting in the water were all over the place, popping up here and there, watching the boat. Really lovely.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:42 pm Sale of the Century. That takes me back. In Oz it was hosted by Tony Barber and the indescribably lovely Delvene Delaney, who was, incidentally, married to John "Strop" Cornell, who was Paul Hogan's sidekick in his 1970/80s TV series and who actually directed Hogan in Crocodile Dundee 2.
the seal picture we're great.
john'strop' Cornwell, incidentally passed 2 weeks ago. (Parkinson), he was paiulls manager and also a shrewd business d mini property mogul.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..