Re: The backlash continues?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hang on.

There aren't any trees at SO766507!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's right - since my post some b'tards have been and burnt them on their campfires ... there's some pictures on instagram.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:01 pm
That's right - since my post some b'tards have been and burnt them on their campfires ... there's some pictures on instagram.
Touché :lol: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

psling wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:14 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:01 pm
Touché :lol: :lol:
hang on are the digits right? , I make near the Malvern.. :-bd :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Same as Stu, the daytime v nighttime thing has always baffled me.

In Neale's book he uses "sleeping" and "sleep" rather than "camping", "bivvying" etc and refers to our right to sleep and rest when we need to - overcome by tiredness, too dangerous to continue etc. I like that. As he says, we have basic rights to breathe fresh air, eat fruits and nuts off trees, fish in tidal waters, etc. How much more basic is the right to sleep? Yes I know it's the 'ownership' of the piece of ground upon which we're sleeping that is the issue but....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:24 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On the (rare) occasions we've been "caught" wild camping in the Dales we've just exchanged a cheery wave with the farmer - generally if you've turned up on bike or Shanks' Pony then you aren't going to have masses of stuff with you anyway. If they hadn't seen us they'd have been none the wiser that we'd been there.

The use of buildings is obviously slightly different but using a couple of examples from the weekend, I suspect that other than Reg and myself there's only Cath, EricRobo and Zippy on here that would recognise his first night of abode but I don't think anyone would get where his second night was spent. Certainly no "X marks the spot". I've posted (interior) shots of some of our bivvies but no exterior shots purely because of this reason.

That attitude is completely at odds with the "look at me, I spent the night wild camping here" social media type postings. Wild camping's illegal, so's robbing a bank but you wouldn't post shots of yourself grinning next to a swag bag!

There was a load of fuss last year about an "infinity pool" in Snowdonia. As soon as I saw the shots, with no background, I knew where it was as it was actually the intake pool for a hydro-electric scheme that was installed and I'd looked at when we lived down there. The shots with a background proved it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

"Add to that the insta-profile neediness where every trip is a micro-wankventure "

:oops: :lol:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I deliberately post bugger all about trips and locations. If people can’t read a map they shouldn’t be out there.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve basically given up on social media because it just seemed to be populated by numpties encouraging other numpties to be numpties.

I’m definitely happier for not playing the game but unfortunately me leaving doesn’t seem to have been enough to bring down any of the major social platforms. Maybe I should have flounced more dramatically.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s a bit of an aggressive move by the NT, but they’re only stating the (mostly) truth.
It has to be remembered that the NT is a conservative organisation whose interest lies in protecting its estate for its membership and ultimately us all.
I remember them being pretty anti MTB in the 90’s and actively changing Public Bridleway signage on their property in the Lakes for ones that said footpath. Now of course they want folk to (pay to) visit NT properties for cycling. Can’t see them adding BAM onto their Things To Do Before You’re 11 3/4 list anytime soon though :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’ve basically given up on social media because it just seemed to be populated by numpties encouraging other numpties to be numpties.
I read something yesterday written by a Snowdonia NP ranger. Aside from LNT in the physical sense, they also talked about leaving no 'digital trace'. I'm glad people are finally seeing that it's a major reason that certain spots become over saturated.

I just don't get this desire to share everything in the tiniest detail. Last year, I expressly asked that people don't upload the BB200 to Strava, yet there it was after the first weekend. There were very real and practical reasons for me making that request but some peoples need to proclaim 'look at me, look at me, everyone look at me' is obviously much more important. :roll:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:26 am
I read something yesterday written by a Snowdonia NP ranger. Aside from LNT in the physical sense, they also talked about leaving no 'digital trace'. I'm glad people are finally seeing it.
Not good for the BB forum then... :roll:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not good for the BB forum then...
As I said yesterday Jeff - there's a line. Nothing wrong with posting pictures here, on FB or anywhere but there's no need to add explicit details, precise place names, maps or GR. Your posts on FB are a good example ... lovely pictures but no specifics to an exact location that would allow those without local knowledge to pinpoint it. When people ask you 'where's that?' your replies are generally vague enough as not to give too much away. That's what I'm talking about.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Good to know I'm doing it right!

It's a tricky line to follow. We've probably all had the question put to us by a stranger on social media as to "Where's that? "Have you got the GPX for that route?" and so on.
For a lot of us we simply put a route together based on our experience and knowledge, whether its of reading a map or if a ride worked out.
Sadly I feel the 'newbies' of today want it perfect first time!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good to know I'm doing it right!
It's only my opinion Jeff. Others may have different ideas and I uphold their right to be wrong :wink:
Sadly I feel the 'newbies' of today want it perfect first time!
When the media only portray 'perfect' then that's what people will expect.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If you want people that document every tiny detail of their lives then there is only one word, vanlife.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:37 amWhen people ask you 'where's that?' your replies are generally vague enough as not to give too much away. That's what I'm talking about.
Brings to mind a climbing club slideshow (remember those?) back in the 1980s. One lad who was notoriously "vague" was showing his shots of his European trip. These were all in random order, when up popped a slide of some fantastic looking towers. Interest shot up "Wow!", "Where's that?"

"In Greece"

"Yes, but where?"

"Somewhere in the middle."

He genuinely didn't know!

The towers turned out to be at Meteora and just happened to feature in the next Bond movie - For your eyes only, so the secret was definitely out!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

summittoppler wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:29 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:26 am
I read something yesterday written by a Snowdonia NP ranger. Aside from LNT in the physical sense, they also talked about leaving no 'digital trace'. I'm glad people are finally seeing it.
Not good for the BB forum then... :roll:
is this a new acronym,
LNP leave no post? :roll:

LNT (leave no trace, has a 2nd definition.
Leave the National Trust....) :o
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
arkay

Post by arkay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:53 am How would things be if you didn’t spend the night in the corner of the field? What if you found a nice dry, flat bit on the bridleway?
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Wales any more....
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

And what are these 'Welsh bridleways' that actually exist in this dimension at all? :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Ah, the welsh bridleways where the tussocks are so big you could suspend a hammock between them :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I kipped on top of Snowdon one autumn. Was a wonderful spot, totally deserted. I had the penthouse suite of all of England and Wales.

There's some pics on my Flickr page I think. Disappointed to see I missed 100k likes by not having tiktok :)