Replacement hub advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Replacement hub advice please

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve given up nursing my Novatech rear hub on my Arkose X. Over the last 18 months I’ve replaced pawls, then freehub, bearings, and now the axle has snapped at the join between the free hub and body. It has a fairly hard life and I’ve got the message!

The rim’s good, so I’ll just rebuild the wheel with a new hub. My go to over the years has been Hope hubs in various guises and I don’t really know what’s around these days. It’s a 12x142 32 hole, and will be black. Any recommendations for alternatives around the same price point (probably £150ish)? The bike is used for general trail riding, maybe a bit rougher than it was made for, bikepacking, and will be coming with me on a ride down the Great North Trail next spring (fingers crossed). Thanks in advance.
ScotRoutes

Re: Replacement hub advice please

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shimano XT is my go-to choice these days.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

My go to hub for last ten years or so have been Hope, reliable, good in British winter and UK firm with great warranty and advice on the other end of the phone :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I can understand why you want to change but, depending how much use it’s had, replacing bearings and pawls is par for the course. I’ve had lots of Novatech hubs (either branded as such or as part of Superstar wheels, and I’ve been very impressed.

XT are good, and great value, if you can be bothered to do the odd service and fiddle with cone spanners.

DT350 is another good option.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve had lots of Novatech hubs (either branded as such or as part of Superstar wheels, and I’ve been very impressed.
I’ve had two bikes with Novatec hubs and found them both high maintenance. I think I am a bit hard on bike parts, I don’t know why, some people find some components fine that fall apart when I use them 🙁
Maybe best stick to what I know works. Does anyone have a Hope Pro 4 rear hub they want to sell?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ChrisF wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:47 pm
I’ve had lots of Novatech hubs (either branded as such or as part of Superstar wheels, and I’ve been very impressed.
I’ve had two bikes with Novatec hubs and found them both high maintenance. I think I am a bit hard on bike parts, I don’t know why, some people find some components fine that fall apart when I use them 🙁
Maybe best stick to what I know works. Does anyone have a Hope Pro 4 rear hub they want to sell?
I was after some hubs a little while ago. Tried to get some xtr but none found at a reasomable budget so got some nice xt off here. Came to build and I could get past the fact that the xt was about 100g heavier than the OEM DT Swiss boost ones that came off the Sonder.

Ended up gping and buying some Hope afterall from ebay and will be selling the XTs soon (quick release 100/135 so not your size sorry). So my two pence would be to wither grab some CKs if you could afford or just go getthe Hopes from online shops. :smile:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

ChrisF wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:47 pm
I've got a 40T Hope Pro 2 Evo rear in black with a Shimano 11spd freehub 32 hole in 135 /142 width that's currently built into a wheel but I've gone boost and I'm not happy with the Hope boost axle kit I've bought so it will be getting sold in favour of a 148-specific hub. PM me if you're interested and we can wrangle a price and I'll email you some photos.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Quite a handy hub weight comparison site here
https://noblwheels.com/blog/actual-hub-weights/

Shimano weights do include the steel freehub rather than the cheese ones of the Hope/DT Swiss. That'll matter more or less depending on which cassette you use
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for all the replies.
Dyffers - have pm’d you.