Readers Rides

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Readers Rides

Post by redefined_cycles »

My Layla (translated as Juliette... from Romeo and...) looking all smart

This shot holds particular value as its just before I went down Bison Hill to come back up it. Something I'd attempted to do for the past 3 years or so but always failed (it's a long ride).

Hopefully the mtb will have some wheels back on soon and I'll try n add that :smile:

Never quite made it back from London...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

My Brother Cycles Big Bro. Brilliant bike, if rather heavy. The new 27.5x3 wheels/tyres are terrific and have taken the sting out of the Surly Sunrise bars. Other changes are a Charge saddle and the Hope Tech 3 brakes from my full suss bike, which got the SRAM Levels the Big Bro came with. I'm thinking of adding a front carrier rack just for shits n gigs.

I'm just going outside ...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:43 am Image
My Van Nicholas Zion Rohloff on the beach at Cabo de Gata half way through the Badlands 700 last year. The following section was brutal with over 6,000m of ascent ,climbing from sea level off road to Pico Valeta at 3,200m.
I think you need to set some time aside to sort your packraft out behind you. :grin:
How do you feel about the rohloff in lowest gears 1-6. Mine feels like treacle & it was bought in 1999, and was recently factory refurbished when upgrade to disk end caps and 2 year run in..
or am I getting soft?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

a right dogs breakfast but I enjoy riding her so that's what matters. A cube 29er frame given a second life. 4 years ago, I built the wheels. (still true) the rear rohloff hub was purchase 1999, (got stolen, the miraculously re-appear, so I have had it 12 of its 20 years. velocycles, (Cleckheckmondsedge), completed the dishing. (thanks Chris).
A challenge finding a good 29er fork, plumbed for merlincycles bargains, is Magura tc140(?) , online said easy to convert to 100mm, reality no kits and silly prices, advised by magura Tech support to run with more sag, that worked! . magura brakes mt2/4. some xt stuff, cranks & front hubs. Mary bars, but would like to try Geoffs. saddle courtesy of Sean-iow bergtech cloud, thud buster seatpost an my own sewn bag. egg type chain ring and. modded mudguards.
my other road bike, Dawes audax from about 2007, recently been gifted better wheels and inner chain ring now a chain ring so 11-32 x 50/32.gets these legs up the hills. from spa cycles Harrogate.
Attachments
IMG_07082021_235700_(700_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_07082021_235700_(700_x_800_pixel).jpg (223.56 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

ledburner wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 am a right dogs breakfast but I enjoy riding her so that's what matters. A cube 29er frame given a second life. 4 years ago, I built the wheels. (still true) the rear rohloff hub was purchase 1999, (got stolen, the miraculously re-appear, so I have had it 12 of its 20 years. velocycles, (Cleckheckmondsedge), completed the dishing. (thanks Chris).
A challenge finding a good 29er fork, plumbed for merlincycles bargains, is Magura tc140(?) , online said easy to convert to 100mm, reality no kits and silly prices, advised by magura Tech support to run with more sag, that worked! . magura brakes mt2/4. some xt stuff, cranks & front hubs. Mary bars, but would like to try Geoffs. saddle courtesy of Sean-iow bergtech cloud, thud buster seatpost an my own sewn bag. egg type chain ring and. modded mudguards.
my other road bike, Dawes audax from about 2007, recently been gifted better wheels and inner chain ring now a chain ring so 11-32 x 50/32.gets these legs up the hills. from spa cycles Harrogate.
What have you added on to the back of your front mudguard? I have the same mudguard and have done something similar, but yours looks a lot more sturdy than my modded addition!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I had a sks Mountain blade mudguard (or fender :???:, that I was disappointed with undocumented eject feature. :shock:.). It was cut down just above where the soft and hard plastic join. Its held on by wide alu pop rivets and cut down rivet heads as backing washers. . it had been patched because the extra leverage has cracked the Crud XL fender midway. So it is again project in progress :roll:
pictures.
[ I'll drill a small hole <1.0mm as stress relief first so the crack will not continue to run, then patch].

Left, the crack and a previous patch.
Right, how it was joined - riveted.
Attachments
Crud fender XL mod.
Crud fender XL mod.
IMG_08082021_105505_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

@Ledburner
I've not noticed much sponginess in the lower gears, only an annoying clicking in gear 7 which is apparently common. I was going to have a nose at the wrecked yacht but the 2 sunbathing girls right by it made it seem a bit creepy.
The bike rides really nicely, it may be my imagination but it seems to handle better fully laden, the weight distribution is better and it's a bit more flexy at the front end that stops it pinballing off rocks and stones.
ton

Post by ton »

ledburner, got 3500 miles on my rohloff since i bought it in december. running as sweet as a nut. 7th gear feel a slight bit different from the rest, but that is all.
bloody love the thing so far.
rivers

Post by rivers »

I'm new to the forum (and to bikepacking). Pic of my bicycle on a recent trip, minus the handlebar bag. The contents of the handlebar bag is the alpkit elan, and what is in the elan.
FB_IMG_1628454534623.jpg
FB_IMG_1628454534623.jpg (168.33 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Nice one Rivers. And welcome to the forum.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ton wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:03 pm ledburner, got 3500 miles on my rohloff since i bought it in december. running as sweet as a nut. 7th gear feel a slight bit different from the rest, but that is all.
@Ton + @pistonbroke, thanks for the feed back.
I guess it my brother in law fault he just grumbled a bout his rohloff being draggy gonpated to XT. I suppose he has planted a seed. I change the chain and see how it differs...
cheers guys..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ledburner wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:42 pm
ton wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:03 pm ledburner, got 3500 miles on my rohloff since i bought it in december. running as sweet as a nut. 7th gear feel a slight bit different from the rest, but that is all.
@Ton + @pistonbroke, thanks for the feed back.
I guess it my brother in law fault he just grumbled a bout his rohloff being draggy gonpated to XT. I suppose he has planted a seed. I change the chain and see how it differs...
cheers guys..
I’ve been using my Rohloff’s for so long I’ve forgotten what it’s like not to use one.
1-7 does use an extra orbital gear compared to 8-14 so can incur extra noise and have a different feel.
One of mine does click/ping occasionally in lower gears but it’s done it for years and nothing bad has happened.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was going to have a nose at the wrecked yacht but the 2 sunbathing girls right by it made it seem a bit creepy.
Where's the bloody pictures man :roll: :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mustang

Post by mustang »

My Fearless Warlock. Bags are mostly Acepac. Rear rack is a Tumbleweed T-Rack
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Naked

Dressed

My Hunt.
faustus

Post by faustus »

The Unit in bikepacking mode...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:57 am
I was going to have a nose at the wrecked yacht but the 2 sunbathing girls right by it made it seem a bit creepy.
Where's the bloody pictures man :roll: :wink:
zoom in then you'll be a Pervy pixel Peeper :shock: :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m waiting to see one draped over the bonnet of a Ford Capri :shock:
Last edited by lune ranger on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’m waiting to see one draped over the bonnet of a Gord Capri :shock:
Naa, rear wheel drive - rubbish int' sand.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Salsa Spearfish, 2012 model repainted when I bought it, frame only off eBay. RS Sids, SRAM XO carbon cranks, Arch rims on Hope Hubs, Jones carbon loops, Thomson stem and seatpost, Brooks Saddle, Hope Race brakes, running SRAM 1x11. Homemade luggage.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger