1 x gearing question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

1 x gearing question

Post by ton »

need new gears on my tourer. i am loathe to pay lots of money to keep it running.
so i was wondering if all this will work.
deore chainset with a 32 tooth ring. sunrace 11-42 10 spd cassette. deore spd long cage mech.

anyone know ?
Bearlegged

Re: 1 x gearing question

Post by Bearlegged »

Should be fine, I ran similar for a while. Only thing that hampered it was my tendency to get rear mechs from the spares bin at my LBS.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pretty much what's on my Stooge Tony. Works fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

Should be fine, and doesn't even need to be long cage mech. Don't know if you're meaning a new deore rear mech or an older 10 speed one, if older (36t max) then might be worth using a sunrace rear mech extender for £7.99.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I managed with just a longer B screw when I did this i would try that first as it costs pence
psling

Post by psling »

When you say "tourer" do you actually mean tourer, as in mostly road riding? I'd have thought 32/11 as highest gear could be a bit frustrating at times?
(Sorry, I'm a bit old-school on tourers and prefer a triple or double up front) :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:24 am I managed with just a longer B screw when I did this i would try that first as it costs pence
second the longer b-screw, I managed to clear either a 40 or 42 tooth cog on a 1x9 system with an old Deore M592 (can't remember). Worked well, suspect it would work here too.