This will make you feel better.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

This will make you feel better.

Post by Mariner »

Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearlegged

Re: This will make you feel better.

Post by Bearlegged »

And even if you have a tent, many pitches are already booked up by holidaymakers for the rest of the summer.
Booked?

faustus

Post by faustus »

Wow, £788 per night!

I'm all for a bit of glamping, but that level of busy would be awful. There's going to be quite a few tents heading to the tip in a couple of years time... :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I didn't get the bit about it being a wet summer with worse to come.... This has been the best summer for years!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really need to sell my big tent before this summer is over. Has been sat in a spare room for over three years now.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

htrider wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:31 pm I didn't get the bit about it being a wet summer with worse to come.... This has been the best summer for years!
Maybe up there. Down here I'd say last summer (and in fact the last year) had better weather
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

2018 was the best summer for years
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

This is a nightmare for us. We have a camper van and I’m not a fan of wild van camping which seems odd given bike packing. I am conscious that it is hard to not have an impact and so we usually go to campsites.

But this year there is almost zero availability. Sites are rammed with noobs/package tour types and the experience has gone downhill (invented snobbery?). I tried to book a week in Wales for Sept but all the good sites are gone. Cant wait to get back to Europe
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But this year there is almost zero availability. Sites are rammed with noobs/package tour types and the experience has gone downhill (invented snobbery?). I tried to book a week in Wales for Sept but all the good sites are gone. Cant wait to get back to Europe
You're welcome to pitch up here if you like Dave.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 am
You're welcome to pitch up here if you like Dave.
Most kind stu, in the end we managed to find a place in Ravenglass so are going to brave the lakes in September (gulp)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]

Most kind stu, in the end we managed to find a place in Ravenglass so are going to brave the lakes in September (gulp)
[/quote]

West Cumbria's usually much quieter than the central Lakes Dave, so you should be alright.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

This is too late to be of benefit to Dave I'm afraid, but we've booked cowpots camping in South Wales.

We're in an 11 acre field with 10 pitches, each has a solar shower, composting toilet and wooden canopy.

Wood fired pizza available on site too. Luxury!

And they had availability in Sept.
Might by of use to others with camper vans on here.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
psling

Post by psling »

Ha ha, I had trouble booking a site in Wales in September and ended up having to book a site in bl00dy Devon of all places :roll: You're right though Dave, sites are heavily booked this year although they are also experiencing a number of late cancellations / no-shows which is useful for anyone that can take advantage at short notice.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

https://youtu.be/QZNnqwPMhlY
I would like to think our glamping offer is nicer than the featured one, the WiFi works, there's electricity, barbecue and pool. All for approximately £700 a night less :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Pitchup.com

^ useful site. Found while looking for last minute break in Wales. Appreciating the simplicity of bike touring right now, finding something a bit more solid as a base for a few days away for two isn't quite so free and easy is it?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

psling wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 am Ha ha, I had trouble booking a site in Wales in September and ended up having to book a site in bl00dy Devon of all places :roll:
You know what they say about Devon? It's only there to keep the English out of Cornwall. Personally I prefer the biking in Devon, and the south coast is amazing. Never really understood why Cornwall is regarded more highly as a holiday destination.
I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

West Cumbria has been getting busier in the last couple of years, IMO. It's still not the honey-pot of the eastern Lakes but at times it can be heaving and the infrastructure (roads) are carp in places.

Did you try Church Stile site in Nether Wasdale Dave? I've a static ( :oops: ) there and a longstanding love of the valley. I could stay there for a long, long time.