Dynamo Light of choice - fork mounted gravel use mid range

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Dynamo Light of choice - fork mounted gravel use mid range

Post by Piemonster »

So, I picked up a new rim this week to replace my a bit too narrow rim currently laced to my Dynamo hub.

And it’s got me thinking about replacing my light with something a bit fancier. Duties are commuting/winter training rides road/gravel/mud bath. Top-end is off the cards, and my current cheap (£50) B&M light doesn’t really have enough Lumens in actual use even on the road. Off road I can supplement the light with a helmet mounted Diablo, but those sections are short enough that I’ll get quite a few weeks out of each charge so that’s ok.

The bike it’ll be fitted to is a bit of a “Frankenbike” cobbled together from several other bikes and parts bin raids. Including a Giant Conduct* brake system, a problem with that is a lack of handle bar space for mounting lights. So I need to fit the light to the forks.

Anything stand out in the market in the £100 to £200 range? Or shall I just have a couple of beers and pot luck whatever looks shiny?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dynamo Light of choice - fork mounted gravel use mid range

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd look at Supernova E3 or SON Edelux if you don't want to spend as much.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

hat he said - I dont think there is anything else available around that price point

SJS cycles are good place for stock
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Those are the options I arrived at as well tbh.

Couple of beers and pick a colour it is then!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Edelux II is an excellent light, fork mount is perfect height for it also. The beam pattern or shape is its real strength for roads and wider byways (for me as a rider as well as oncoming traffic) but it puts less light above waist height than a torch beam off-road light so you don't see low branches quite as easily. The Supernova looks to be a more rounded beam but I'm not sure, not used it. Worth checking?
atk

Post by atk »

Just like the waterproof thread, I'll second James' suggestion. I've got a Revo and the Edelux, the latter has been fine for road/bridleway bumbling, despite clipping the occasional low branch/bramble and once taking a bat to the face.

The Revo can be mounted at fork height after a few pints of tea, but I found it difficult to balance a decent throw of light while not dazzling others. A little easier when mounted on the bars/stem, but better saved riding that's more off-road than on.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, my experience is that the E3 is more off-road biased.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

atk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 pm Just like the waterproof thread, I'll second James' suggestion. I've got a Revo and the Edelux, the latter has been fine for road/bridleway bumbling, despite clipping the occasional low branch/bramble and once taking a bat to the face.
I'll second your experience of a bat in the face, I had something small and slightly furry fly into my (mostly closed) mouth not long ago. Maybe it's a feature of the Edelux.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m also going to claim to have ridden into a bat whilst using an Edelux. It’s definitely a thing. :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

:shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Piemonster wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:45 am Anything stand out in the market in the £100 to £200 range?
Supernova E3 Triple 2.

Everytime I'm riding with mates with dynohubs and -lights they envy me. It is proper bright, also at slow speed.
It flickers (with my SON hub) at very slow speeds (like fast walking), but still gives workable light.
My girlfriend and I both have them on our everyday/offroad touring bikes, think it must be 4.5 years in and everyday use, no care etc. and they're still like new.

Have one on my fatbike too, mostly winter use only, no problem here either. Has seen the desert - again, zero issue. Must be about 7 or 8 years old by now.
Superb build quality, good mounting options.

The Supernova E3 Pro and Pure are significantly weaker. At about 20 km/h they seemed less than half as bright as the E3 Triple(!). This is from direct comparison, but on different hubs.
The E3 Triple 2 is no road legal in German - but who gives a sh*t?
faustus

Post by faustus »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm I’m also going to claim to have ridden into a bat whilst using an Edelux. It’s definitely a thing. :-bd
I too have had a bat in the face...but not with an Edelux... :smile:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Very worrying. I've come close to bats in the face and there are loads where I am. I was hoping an actual impact was unlikely but not looking like that based on the above. Will remember to keep my mouth closed when they're nearby

I don't have a dynamo or dynamo light so maybe that'll save me
Loki

Post by Loki »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 am hat he said - I dont think there is anything else available around that price point

SJS cycles are good place for stock
Get one fast, Son are putting all trade prices up in September, expect price rises to retail, I use the Edelux 2, lovely light and great for road and light off road.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Oh, noted ta, will order one most likely at the next payday.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hi Piemonster, I thought I throw this in the pot...
A Minoura Space Grip... Would a 'bar space expander' be more cost effective solution? This may give you a wider choice of lights, :-bd & may be better value options and more cockpit space. :-bd
I have on my road bike. Another bonus is raising the light source so it illuminate the trail better rather than cast long shadows. :-bd
just when you thought you knew what you wanted... soz bud. :roll:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m12b0s169p3 ... nt-SGS-400
minoura space grip options
minoura space grip options
IMG_08082021_085223_(240_x_800_pixel).jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Loki wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:00 pm [quote=Lazarus post_id=269096 time=1627897099

Get one fast, Son are putting all trade prices up in September, expect price rises to retail, I use the Edelux 2, lovely light and great for road and light off road.
Are Son likely to be putting prices up on everything? I might end up getting a Son28 boost hub which at £270 already seems expensive at today's price 🤔
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Right then, that’s everything sorted bar possibly the rear light.

I’m half tempted by a Son Rear light, is the much to be said for upgrading from a B&M Secula?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I have a kLite and find it perfect. It is the road version and I haven't used anything else to compare.

When deciding I looked into others and the throw. The Exposure seemed too wide, with a spot. The SON looked good and would have been my second choice.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I’m half tempted by a Son Rear light, is the much to be said for upgrading from a B&M Secula?
I have the later its very bright light in use ,does not dim when stopped at lights and bright enough for everyday use Mines is on the seatstay and tha son is going to have to be smething trully special fo rme to thinkthe extra spend was worth it - to be fair the Secual is bit plasticy but it survived me crashing, it being ripped off and the wires snapping so its pretty tough
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:18 pm
I have the later its very bright light in use ,does not dim when stopped at lights and bright enough for everyday use Mines is on the seatstay and tha son is going to have to be smething trully special fo rme to thinkthe extra spend was worth it - to be fair the Secual is bit plasticy but it survived me crashing, it being ripped off and the wires snapping so its pretty tough
Pretty much why I’ve not ordered the SON yet tbh. Just wondering if there’s a case for it, it stick with the Secula until given a reason to change.
atk

Post by atk »

I had the seatpost mounted Son for a little while. Sold it on and am using the mudguard mounted Secula after riding behind a friend with one. Seems brighter and to throw more light out, but maybe that's just the positioning. Feel more confident with the Secula now anyway.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Job don’t then. Stick with the Secula.

Ta folks
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

SON buy in and use B&M optics so you get similar performance from both brands. What you get from SON over B&M is much better quality of build and materials, jazzier mounts etc. I had a seatstay Secula that went back after a couple of months as it let in water and died. I’ve had a SON seatpist rear that’s lasted 10 years.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:41 am Right then, that’s everything sorted bar possibly the rear light.

What did you go for in the end?
Image Image