Suggest some cheap/good trail running shoes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest some cheap/good trail running shoes

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got any links or advice pls in getting the right stuff
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ledburner

Re: Suggest some cheap/good trail running shoes

Post by ledburner »

what's your budget?
I can't recommend any but your best to buy in store rather mail order.
So I suggest start at Go outdoor, Horbury they are local and have a reasonable range. you'll find the brands that fit. then start from there bargain Hunting on line for bargains..
super cheap o sports direct, if your conscience will allow...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:20 pm what's your budget?
I can't recommend any but your best to buy in store rather mail order.
So I suggest start at Go outdoor, Horbury they are local and have a reasonable range. you'll find the brands that fit. then start from there bargain Hunting on line for bargains..
super cheap o sports direct, if your conscience will allow...
Not really seen anything at GoOutdoors when I've been in Dan.. maybe I wasnt looking properly and concentrating on the walking boots. Budget of about £70 I think (only cos I don't eant any sportsDirect stuff for the mo.

£70 too low :???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rather like helmets and saddles it's about fit first so it's difficult to recommend a brand or style. I've got on well with Salomon and ASICS but now using Hoka One One Speedboats.

You also want to decide if you're running in trails or tarmac. No point in buying Salomon Trailcross to run on the roads.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Colin... yes, defo trail/fell... didn't wanna use the word as it sounds scary/painfully lungbusting but i can't think of much worse than running tarmac/roads...

Might even try some organised challenge if i manage to get up to the miles...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Is the inov8 mud claw out of budget?

Pretty much standard in the running club for mixed terrain off-road
jameso

Post by jameso »

Asposium wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 am Is the inov8 mud claw out of budget?

Useful thanks - also looking for some off-road running shoes. Will see if I can try a pair somewhere. Jumping in on your thread here Shafiq.. thanks, had been looking recently also.

Any opinions on the cushioning? I'm much happier running off-road, more so when the going's a bit softer. Less jarring. Plus more fun dodging the muddy bits and running along singletracks. I'm only doing up to an hour at a time once a week though.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

mudclaws have very little cushioning.

when running off-road in the mud cushioning is required.
enough "give" from the ground :lol:
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:19 am

Useful thanks - also looking for some off-road running shoes. Will see if I can try a pair somewhere. Jumping in on your thread here Shafiq.. thanks, had been looking recently also.

Any opinions on the cushioning? I'm much happier running off-road, more so when the going's a bit softer. Less jarring. Plus more fun dodging the muddy bits and running along singletracks. I'm only doing up to an hour at a time once a week though.
Thanks James... yes, hopefully we'll learn loads... Mudclaws are out for me too as I reckon the rough off road ground might need some better cusshioning?
redefined_cycles

Thanks for this... I assume they'd be out of my budget aswell as me needing more cushioning on the off road?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

As Colin said very personal and task specific.

I found Inov8s to be at the less-cushioned end of trail shoes, although great fit. As a beginner, heavy and probably poor technique (I'm describing myself really!) I'd go for something from maybe Brooks eg Calderas (personal favourites) or Cascadias.

Hoka are great but funny fit across their models and can be a bit of a learning experience (mega cushioned).

You can read reviews but refer to the original point, it's very person-specific. Discounted shoes are / were plentiful as they change model design and colours every season (c.6 months). Horribly garish ones that didn't sell often cheapest (you'll get them muddy). Be prepared for the disappointment of your favorite shoes completely changing design far too frequently.

Recieved wisdom is to go up a half or whole euro size (once you've found a last that works for you) to accommodate swelling and splaying feet plus avoiding toes hitting inside end when going downhill. It becomes a bit of a challenge getting good fit / grip on the rest of the foot to give stability whilst also having enough toebox room.

Be prepared to discover how little life you'll get out of a pair as you batter out the cushioning and wear thru. Akin to Fox forks servicing intervals ;-)

Sport shoes.com has been a good source for me and Sportpursuit also used to do bargains. I quite liked Ginger Runners Youtube reviews.

I think Colin meant "Speedgoats" not boats 😆

Couch 2 5k app is great for many.

I loved running, though never went far or fast, very little feels as thorough a workout nor as anaerobically challenging. Be sure to warm up, stretch and cool down as, personally, I found it battering. Twisted ankles and plantar fasciitis currently see me on a rowing machine.

Accompanying NHS pages to the C25K are good resource.

My 2p

HTH :cool:

I wouldnt touch Mudclaws, personally, out and out fell runners.
redefined_cycles

Does indeed. Thanks CM
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

I’ve just bought a pair of Scarpa Rush from Rock and Run. Currently on offer at £60. I bought mine for summer walking in the hills and first thoughts are they are very comfy.
I’ve been abart a bit
redefined_cycles

sillybigfella wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:55 am I’ve just bought a pair of Scarpa Rush from Rock and Run. Currently on offer at £60. I bought mine for summer walking in the hills and first thoughts are they are very comfy.
Thanks SBF... whats the sizing like. The website states to go up 1 eu size... I'm 10.5 in adidazlers and 10 to 10.5 in FiveTens... eu47??
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

I wear a size 11 normally, but went up a size (EU47) to account for hot feet etc and they’re a perfect fit.
I’ve been abart a bit
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

More mile Cheviot pace work well as a cheaper option to inov8 to me
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The only other thing shaf is maybe get yourself fitted , when my young fella started running ( and he had a decent pair of shoes) getting ready to join up after about a fortnight his shins were in bits , took him to the local running shop had him filmed on a tread mill to see how his feet landed and got a pair of shoes to suit , no more shin pain , his running was mainly on roads and tow paths but I presume it’ll be the same for trail shoes
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm The only other thing shaf is maybe get yourself fitted , when my young fella started running ( and he had a decent pair of shoes) getting ready to join up after about a fortnight his shins were in bits , took him to the local running shop had him filmed on a tread mill to see how his feet landed and got a pair of shoes to suit , no more shin pain , his running was mainly on roads and tow paths but I presume it’ll be the same for trail shoes
Maybe that's what I need Stu... Not sure where there's a local running shop around here that might not need £150 out of me. Might see if I can find somewhere tomorrow. Ta
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The running shop in Headingley does it for free (or they did):

https://upandrunning.co.uk/blogs/news/a ... t-analysis

The slight conundrum is that the prices are usually SRP or close so you either have to be a bit brass-neck or just accept the first set of shoes will be a bit more than you might find them for on the www. It's like someone using bike shops to find the size of helmets, shoes, clothes etc :|

TBH though, most shoes are neutral, pronator or supinator. If you know how you wear down shoes then you can probably make a good guess. Just keep an eye out for potential problems and get analysed in a timely manner, if you need to.
redefined_cycles

Did a bit of digging and (memory) recall. I usually wear my shoes on the rear back outer edge and AFAIR I'm a supanator...

Been speakimg to the physio at work aswell and grabbing a few tiny exercise tips for warm up/down and back strength stuff...

https://www.sportsshoes.com/running-hub ... pronation/

Looks like my work might be cut out finding my stuff...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

there may also be a running shop in Huddersfield, in these economically challenging times. :wink:

I hope this isn't another new gear rabbit hole you are entering :???:
watch this space guys, bargained to be had when this latest obsession us over :o :lol:

as far as fitting Simon at Mountain feet (Marsden) https://www.mountainfeet.com/appointment-intro-page/is very Knowledgeable.
it booking by appointment only.
he is an all round outdoor sport man & instructor and an expert shoe& boot fitter. :-bd
I now have innnersole to cure my slightly fallen at archs. ankle corrected so don't tip inwards & straighten posture so few face forward rather than splay out. innnersole £30, and fitted, including 40min consultation.

good look or luck finding a bargain that suits.. :wink:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:14 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm The only other thing shaf is maybe get yourself fitted , when my young fella started running ( and he had a decent pair of shoes) getting ready to join up after about a fortnight his shins were in bits , took him to the local running shop had him filmed on a tread mill to see how his feet landed and got a pair of shoes to suit , no more shin pain , his running was mainly on roads and tow paths but I presume it’ll be the same for trail shoes
Maybe that's what I need Stu... Not sure where there's a local running shop around here that might not need £150 out of me. Might see if I can find somewhere tomorrow. Ta
Think the cost of the fitting was £20 but free if you bought the shoes from them , , he then brought out a variety of shoes to suit ranging from £85 upto £125 mate so wasn’t exceptionally over the top , I know your down Birmingham area a bit , so if you haven’t got it sorted next time your down pop into Ron Flowers in Wolverhampton, it’s a proper old time sports shop been there before I was a able to walk and they’ll sort you out mate
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

also peak foot wear in Holmfirth.https://peakfootwear.co.uk/
Google drew a blank on the running shop in hudds. ...it look like 'up&running' closed last year...
but they have shops in Leeds, Manchester, Oldham York and round the country...
defo try before you buy....
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:51 pm These any good for you Shaf?
https://rockrun.com/products/scarpa-rush
Yup... thats what I'm hoping to get tomorrow at pay-time and then maybe some sole sections for my overpronation (these are unlikely to be suitable but lack of info means I'll just rely on the insoles as per my walking shoes/boots).

Managed to convince the missus aswell so will probably get for her too... only problem for me is that they're only in 47 and I'm a 10 to 10.5 (in adidas and clarks). The site suggest you size one eu size up so will see..

Btw, Scarpa being Italy made also fulfils my need/want to not spend my money on China Produce :-bd