Heavier Duty "Packable" Jacket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Heavier Duty "Packable" Jacket

Post by Richard G »

I realised this weekend that I'm missing a grade of jacket in my collection... medium duty packable.

I've got all sorts of light and ultralight options, and then a bunch that you probably wouldn't want to try and pack as their either massive, or heavy. Anyone have any ideas for one that you could probably fit in a camelbak, but would actually keep you reasonably dry for a while (ideally with some ventilation options, or if not a particularly breathable fabric)?

Something say, a level up from Endura's Packajak.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Heavier Duty "Packable" Jacket

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

OMM Kamleika would do the job. They're also stretchy which is nice ... but these days, I find it hard to see beyond Outdry. Some may think it's not 'packable' but really, it's fine :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Very happy with my recent outdry nanolite purchase, testing has been brief so far but it kept me dry for a couple of days in the borders last week, a good catch in the sale at the moment

I'd be tempted to try and find an Omm Aether over the Kamlieka, eVent has always served me well for backpacking in UK weather, but maybe the stretch of the Kam would be better for cycling as Stu says. I have a Kam smock but sadly grew out of it in lockdown so haven't used it much since
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I definitely wouldn't consider a normal Outdry to be packable, at least not in a camelbak. I can't speak for the nanolite as I've never seen one.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve been pleased my rafa jacket, it’s kept the worst out and seems to breathe ok. But on the short side but so am I :lol:
https://www.Crikey, how much.cc/gb/en/shop/core-ra ... ct/CRR03XX
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The offset zip on that is properly triggering me. :???:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 pm I’ve been pleased my rafa jacket, it’s kept the worst out and seems to breathe ok. But on the short side but so am I :lol:
https://www.Crikey, how much.cc/gb/en/shop/core-rain-jacket-ii/product/CRR03XX
I wouldn't call their Core rain jacket either heavyweight or waterproof; it's what I stuff in my back pocket when there's a chance of a shower on a club road ride, to keep me warm when I'm already damp.

I paid £60 from the Shepton outlet store, it's not worth £100.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sports Direct have a Marmot Essence at half price £85 at the moment. Light 200gish, armpit vents, no insulation of course but why would you, kept me dry for a day in heavy rain. Love mine.

[edit: although it must be said in fairness that durability isn't 100% while sliding down the road on your back after an icy front washout]
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dyffers wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 pm I’ve been pleased my rafa jacket, it’s kept the worst out and seems to breathe ok. But on the short side but so am I :lol:
I wouldn't call their Core rain jacket either heavyweight or waterproof; it's what I stuff in my back pocket when there's a chance of a shower on a club road ride, to keep me warm when I'm already damp.

Definitely a step up from the Endura the op asked for but not heavy weight either. It’s funny how two people can have different experiences of the same jacket, I’ve used mine on those days when it floods in the summer and have stayed dry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:40 pm The offset zip on that is properly triggering me. :???:
Makes a lot of sense - it doesn't get under your chin and irritate you. Lowe Alpine used to do a fleece with a zip that angled up to the collarbone for the same reason. Also means the zips on different layers aren't aligned.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 pm Makes a lot of sense - it doesn't get under your chin and irritate you. Lowe Alpine used to do a fleece with a zip that angled up to the collarbone for the same reason. Also means the zips on different layers aren't aligned.
For sure, I just struggle with non-symmetrical stuff.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Richard G wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 pm
whitestone wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 pm Makes a lot of sense - it doesn't get under your chin and irritate you. Lowe Alpine used to do a fleece with a zip that angled up to the collarbone for the same reason. Also means the zips on different layers aren't aligned.
For sure, I just struggle with non-symmetrical stuff.
Like a bike? : )

I have a Gore Jacket, Activeshell, think it was a 75th anniversary thing. It's very similar to the current C5. Changed my option of Goretex being clammy and packs really small, I really rate it.
I either use that or a 7mesh Resistance which is excellent, very light and packs tiny but isn't fully waterproof for hours on end, fine for an hour or so or light drizzle though.
atk

Post by atk »

Another vote for one of Gore's Active Shell offerings. Used to have an Oxygen 2.0 for winter audax stuff, kept me dry on some very long, wet days. Packed size was pretty compact. Seem to remember it folded/rolled better than it stuffed.

Marmot Essence served me well in NZ, although not as breathable.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm
Dyffers wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 pm

Definitely a step up from the Endura the op asked for but not heavy weight either. It’s funny how two people can have different experiences of the same jacket, I’ve used mine on those days when it floods in the summer and have stayed dry
I used mine for Audax rides and took it on London-Edinburgh-London and it kept me dry through some horrendous conditions through the borders. I'm kicking myself I didn't go for the hooded one as my MTB jacket.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Strangely I'm looking for a goldilocks rain jacket as well. 95% of the time it will be redundant so lightweight and small pack size is important but when it rains here it can be biblical so properly waterproof and breathable is required, hosing down but 20° can be pretty clammy. I know all this spells Gore Shakedry but £250 for something so fragile given the spikey undergrowth around here is a non starter. Has anyone got one of those Columbia Montrail jackets on offer at Brown Bag that was in the bargain alert the other day, how do they size up? Do they work as well as the heavier weight ones such as the Reign, are they actually outdry fabric? Colour isn't an issue for me but returning the wrong size is fraught with problems in the current climate. It's this one https://www.bbclothing.co.uk/en-gb/colu ... 01101.html
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Iirc the differences between outdry models are usually the base fabric the exterior (waterproof) membrane is put on. So it's all the same membrane but a different "carrier".

I could be wrong.

If you buy a large and it doesn't fit I'll take it off you for a reasonable price ;-) IME I can usually drop a size from normal to US-scale Columbia sizes.

There a definitely some ODs that are Camelbak packable. I'd imagine this vestal virgin one would be. Better if rolled than stuffed. Not easy to tell though as Columbia seem to have been rubbish at differentiating between models and *ahem* they all tend to look the same.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm looking at a small right now. I have a medium of the chunkier outdry here and it's massive.

I really don't like that yellow one though, mostly because I think it'll look terrible after a bit of rubbing from my camelbak straps.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The medium Nanolite I bought packs well, there's not a lot to it at 210g